It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tea party groups work to remove names from Ohio voter rolls

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Tea Party groups in Ohio are challanging the legitimacy of a number of voters in Ohio. They claim that this is to prevent further voter fraud from happening in the elections, but it appears that they're just trying to supress votes rather than prevent any kind of fraud:

CINCINNATI — Lori Monroe, a 40-year-old Democrat who lives in central Ohio, was startled a few weeks ago to open a letter that said a stranger was challenging her right to vote in the presidential election.

Monroe, who was recovering from cancer surgery, called the local election board to protest. A local tea party leader was trying to strike Monroe from the voter rolls for a reason that made no sense: Her apartment building in Lancaster was listed as a commercial property.

"I'm like, really? Seriously?" Monroe said. "I've lived here seven years, and now I'm getting challenged?"

Monroe's is one of at least 2,100 names that tea party groups have sought to remove from Ohio's voter rosters.

There's more further in the article, I recommend you all read through it:

The groups and their allies describe it as a citizen movement to prevent ballot fraud, although the Republican secretary of state said in an interview that he knew of no evidence that any more than a handful of illegal votes had been cast in Ohio in the last few presidential elections.

www.latimes.com...

As some may have guessed, these tea party groups target many minority and student voters, because obviously to these people when Republicans lose elections it's all about fraud. Further in the article are examples of these cases:

Marlene Hess Kocher, another leader of the Ohio project, filed 420 challenges in Hamilton County over the last month. Kocher alleged that eight members of an African American family, the Sharps, were registered to vote at a vacant lot in Lockland, just outside Cincinnati.

Does this look like a vacant lot?" Teresa Sharp, 53, asked one recent afternoon as she and a friend sat on canvas chairs outside the four-bedroom house where the family has lived since the 1980s...

Seems like cases like Teresa Sharp's are becoming all too common in elections. Innocent voters plucked out and falsely targeted by various groups and individuals claiming that they care about voter "integrity" and voter "rights" when they really have political agendas. We've seen so many cases where allegations of voter fraud amounted to being either false, or blown out of proportion. How many innocent voters have been harassed by these rightwing groups I have to ask?

edit on Thu Sep 27 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: FIXED LINK

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Tea Party groups across Ohio have united to remove about 2,100 names from the voter rolls, mostly in counties that went heavily for Obama in 2008.

In addition to college students, Democrats point out that the majority of the voters targeted have been from other demographics that tend to support Obama, including African-Americans and poor people.

Ohio Republicans have also been trying to block early voting on the weekends, when a vast number of African-Americans turn out. Or, as Franklin County GOP Chairman Doug Preisse put it at one point: “We shouldn’t contort the voting process to accommodate the urban — read African American — voter-turnout machine.”

www.salon.com...

The Tea Party is really garbage, I wish they would all leave the country. I don't to live in the same state as these hateful tyrannical people. I thought they were supposed to be about freedom and small government? Clearly not, as they are trying to block as many democrats from voting as possible. This really just shows how desperate they are though, having to cheat because they are in a panic. Get over it, Obama is going to win.
edit on 27-9-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Romney's only chance at winning is voter suppression.

And this tactic is being cheered on by Republicans, politicians and voters alike. I guess your vote should only count if you are Republican.

Hopefully their efforts of trying to take away American's basic right isn't successful.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

It is Realspoke. My heart goes out to Theresa Sharp in this article, she is one of the many victims as the result of these voter supression tactics around the country. All too often we see these voter fraud allegations amount to nothing, and yet the damage has already been done, somebody vote has already been supressed, somebody has already been affected by these allegations. Don't these people even try to look into these cases objectively before they seek to remove people like this off the registration? It's disgusting.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Looks like more racial fear mongering to me. If you ask me , this is along the same kinds of tactics used by the KKK. It's all about making it look like white people are out to get non whites. It's about scaring them in to voting for one person and one party.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by PvtHudson
Looks like more racial fear mongering to me. If you ask me , this is along the same kinds of tactics used by the KKK. It's all about making it look like white people are out to get non whites. It's about scaring them in to voting for one person and one party.

Well, I don't know if I would go that far.

If we look past the racial aspect, is this story true? Is the TP really challenging the eligibility of legally registered folks?

That's the important part. I don't know.....I'm gonna have to look into it a bit more. But what if this is true? What say you then?

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

As some may have guessed, these tea party groups target many minority and student voters, because obviously to these people when Republicans lose elections it's all about fraud.

What a load of crap!

Cleaning up the rolls is a necessary task these days so liberals don’t stuff the ballots with non-existent voters. What’s wrong with questioning the validity of addresses that don’t show up in the system?

Reply to Realspoke

The Tea Party is really garbage, I wish they would all leave the country.

Ditto

I don't to live in the same state as these hateful tyrannical people.

Tea Party is a national movement that DWARFS Occupy!

I thought they were supposed to be about freedom and small government? Clearly not, as they are trying to block as many democrats from voting as possible.

Its not blocking democrats….it’s blocking FRAUD! (well.....I guess that's the same thing
)

This really just shows how desperate they are though, having to cheat because they are in a panic. Get over it, Obama is going to win.

Tell me that after the election!

How do you reelect someone who F-ed the country???

edit on 27-9-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by PvtHudson

Looks like more racial fear mongering to me. If you ask me , this is along the same kinds of tactics used by the KKK. It's all about making it look like white people are out to get non whites.

Um, no. The Tea Party targeted ALL democrats, not just black people. It happened, it's a fact, get over it and stop making excuses for your tyrannical party.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Um, no. The Tea Party targeted ALL democrats, not just black people

Funny how the race card was played in that thread that was closed.,

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Clearly you didn't read the article. Ohio doesn't have a voter fraud problem.....so stop peddling your lies and excuses.

The groups and their allies describe it as a citizen movement to prevent ballot fraud, although the Republican secretary of state said in an interview that he knew of no evidence that any more than a handful of illegal votes had been cast in Ohio in the last few presidential elections

It's not a coincidence they chose to target mainly DEMOCRATIC counties that Obama won in the last election and residents.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Because it was true. They are targeting black people and all other democrats. PVT Hudsons remark made no sense because he tried to act like the article focused on black people, when it didn't. It specifically mentioned all democrats, including people living in trailer parks, which are mainly white.

Everyone knows the Tea Party has a large portion of racists and bigots anyway.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Clearly you didn't read the article. Ohio doesn't have a voter fraud problem.....so stop peddling your lies and excuses

And then you bold-type the part when he says “no more than a handful” of illegal votes!

BAHHAhahahah!!

That’s rich!

What’s wrong with cleaning the rolls, realspoke?? Are you scared your boy is in a tight race?

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

What’s wrong with cleaning the rolls, realspoke?? Are you scared your boy is in a tight race?

Because they aren't cleaning anything, they're focusing on democrats for frivolous reasons, like not putting down the dorm number. The TP is terrified that Obama is winning Ohio, they already tired to block votes with that unconstitutional law, now this. Just sad really.

Are you scared your boy is in a tight race?

Nope. Romney cannot even pull a crowd of 10,000 people, Obama can effortlessly. You better get used to it, Obama is going to be president for 4 more years.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by Southern Guardian

As some may have guessed, these tea party groups target many minority and student voters, because obviously to these people when Republicans lose elections it's all about fraud.

What a load of crap!

Cleaning up the rolls is a necessary task these days so liberals don’t stuff the ballots with non-existent voters. What’s wrong with questioning the validity of addresses that don’t show up in the system?

You are the load of crap - cleaning up the rolls is a way to shave off voting margins, don't
be a fat liar now.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I can smell the partisan stench coming off of you from a mile away.

Obama will win Ohio, and my legal and valid vote will help ensure it. Every single voter suppression effort conducted by elected officials this cycle are all perpetuated by republicans. I'm sorry but that alone has earned my protest vote against repression.

Correction : MOST. If you do count house redistricting there are a few states Democrats tilted the scales unreasonably. But there are far more places that were already tilted in favor of republicans and they just destroyed North Carolina's competitiveness. Its still a republican leaning environment. When I say all, I'm talking about voter roll purges and ID laws designed to snuff out valid democrats from voting.

You can cry all you want about "my boy" but at least I recognize that numerous problems Obama has. Hell, I'm practically undecided between libertarian Gary Johnson and Obama but if it takes an Obama vote to keep a psychopath out of office then I'll do it gladly.

After watching what the republican party did to Ron Paul, there is no way I'll vote for a republican establishment endorsed candidate in the rest of my lifetime. You can count on that for years to come.
edit on 28-9-2012 by nuclear12346 because: correction

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Of course they are going after legitimate voters. That is what you do when you cannot win on policy. Romney would probably be winning this thing if they didn't require him to go so hard to the right he doesn't even know his own real position any longer. It is sad really, truly deeply sad. The Tea Party mentality: if you don't think like we do you don't deserve to vote. The best part is when they say they are fiscal conservatives and then turn around wasting money on his nonsense.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Up until Dec of 09 everything still goes to Bush because nothing the new President passes goes into effect until then.

edit on 28-9-2012 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Um, no. The Tea Party targeted ALL democrats, not just black people

Funny how the race card was played in that thread that was closed.,

No that thread was closed because this thread was posted earlier you would had known this had you read the reason the mod gave for closing it. But if you want racism you may want to tell Seabag to lay off the boy crap because referring to a president who appears black as boy can be perceived as racist.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

Why are they cleaning the rolls in specific locations and not everywhere? Why isn't a non-partial organization doing it?

I predict that this is only going to end up backfiring on them.
edit on 28-9-2012 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I swear, I get less roused looking at Stormfront than I do ATS.

Bring up Ohio voter suppression and right wing mouth pieces come screaming "WHY ARE YOU BRINGING UP THE RACE CARD!"

Does this site even cater to denial of ignorance anymore?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join