It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mitt Romney suggests Obamacare/Romney care is a good reason to vote for Romney.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Yes, Mitt is super proud of his health care reform. He loves all the (mandated) insured people in his state. The people in his state love how many of them are (mandated) insured.

Mandated is there to remind you, not reach a verb/noun agreement so grammar Nazi's feel secure in the fact that I know.

Now Mitt is even stating that his HCR that was the basis for Obama's HCR demonstrates that he cares about people, is compassionate, and capable of empathy.

It makes perfect sense.
Obamacare was invented by Republicans and the individual mandate was a Republican idea that they attempted to push for decades. Romney was able to do it and brags about it now, after denigrating it, and before denigrating it, and before again bragging about it.

Just like abortion and gay marriage, Mitt was for it before he was against it before he was for it before he was against it before he was for it and today he was for and against it each a couple of times.

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney displayed several Henges worth of stones Wednesday night when he told NBC News’ Ron Allen, in an interview, that his Massachusetts health care reform law, the national version of which he has vowed to repeal on day one, is an example of how “empathetic” he is. “I got everybody in my state insured,” Romney said. “100 percent of the kids in our state have health insurance. I don’t think there’s anything that shows more empathy and care about the people of this country than that kind of record.”

Mitt Romney Brags About The ‘Empathy’ Of His Health Care Reform

Again I want to ask how to take him seriously but the last time I asked that a huge swarm of stupid engulfed that thread so let's just discuss this particular topic.

Romney, does he support his health care reform or not?

P.S. I already know someone is going to try to derail the thread by talking about something unrelated but about Obama and someone is going to attempt to call out my source.
I look forward to both of those types of people stopping for a moment and thinking before they type in the hopes that they may present something intelligent and on topic that moves the conversation forward instead of sideways into something else like a birther thread.

Thank you in advance for staying on topic or not posting at all in this thread.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I must be missing a lot. If I understood you correctly, you wanted everyone to stay on the question of whether Romney supports his health care bill. One of the problems is determing what you mean by "his" health care bill. (I hear Bill Clinton knocking at the door.) Romney's proposal was vastly different than the one he signed. But couldn't he have just vetoed it, then? Well, he did:

In Fall 2005, the House and Senate each passed health care insurance reform bills. The legislature made a number of changes to Governor Romney's original proposal, including expanding MassHealth (Medicaid and SCHIP) coverage to low-income children and restoring funding for public health programs. The most controversial change was the addition of a provision which requires firms with 11 or more workers that do not provide "fair and reasonable" health coverage to their workers to pay an annual penalty. This contribution, initially $295 annually per worker, is intended to equalize the free care pool charges imposed on employers who do and do not cover their workers.

On April 12, 2006, Governor Mitt Romney signed the health legislation. Romney vetoed eight sections of the health care legislation, including the controversial employer assessment. Romney also vetoed provisions providing dental benefits to poor residents on the Medicaid program, and providing health coverage to senior and disabled legal immigrants not eligible for federal Medicaid. The legislature promptly overrode six of the eight gubernatorial section vetoes, on May 4, 2006, and by mid-June 2006 had overridden the remaining two.

www.ask.com...

And it's changed since then as well.

So the short answer to your question is "Yes, but....."

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
MANDATE is the reason that I will not vote for him. I will either write in Ron Paul or vote Gary Johnson.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Dear DarthMuerte,

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you, but you won't vote for Romney because of the mandate, or Obama because of his?

If Romney, the Democrat legislature put the employer mandate in and, when Romney vetoed it, they overrode his veto and put it back in.

If Obama, then I can understand because it's very different.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

Dear DarthMuerte,

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you, but you won't vote for Romney because of the mandate, or Obama because of his?

If Romney, the Democrat legislature put the employer mandate in and, when Romney vetoed it, they overrode his veto and put it back in.

If Obama, then I can understand because it's very different.

With respect,
Charles1952
Both really, but I refer to Romney in this instance. The fact that he currently supports socialized medicine and is bragging about passing parts of it is reason enough. Honestly, the fact that he was able to get elected governor of Massachusetts is enough to show he is too statist for me to support.

Edit to Add: If I understand correctly, Romney originally proposed a health insurance bill which ended up with the mandate included. Thus he bears at least some responsibility.
edit on 27-9-2012 by DarthMuerte because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Dear DarthMuerte,

Given what you've told me, I can easily understand why your vote is not going to either of them.

Mind if I argue a small point? Feel free to ignore it.

If I understand correctly, Romney originally proposed a health insurance bill which ended up with the mandate included. Thus he bears at least some responsibility.
There are many things to criticize Romney for, but I think you could cut him a little slack on this particular one.

Basically, he said "I want health care reform, and this is my idea." The legislature said "Forget that idea, we're going to put in what we want. And you can't stop us." Romney did everything he could, but they were right, he couldn't stop it. I have a hard time feeling Romney was responsible for it after all that. But as I say, not a crucial point.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Romney seems to be unaware that his every speech is being taped and can be compared to other things he's said previously... This is classic of Romney. One day, he says one thing, tomorrow, he says the opposite, with as much feigned sincerity as his previous statement held.

If his MA healthcare reform means he cares for the 100%, then how can his promise to overturn Obamacare be taken seriously? He seems quite confused or deluded.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
This is classic of Romney. One day, he says one thing, tomorrow, he says the opposite, with as much feigned sincerity as his previous statement held.

And every time he says something that is counter to the GOP agenda the people behind the scenes of his campaign come out and release prepared statements claiming that Romney didn't actually mean what he said.

The entire GOP campaign strategy seems to be in chaos. Perhaps that IS their strategy; leave the electorate confused as to where the Romney stands on the issues and hope that, in the confusion, the voters conclude that Romney is in favor of what each individual voter wants him to be in favor of.

top topics

join