It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

17 Seconds that will blow your mind!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I wanted to share this, didnt see it posted yet, sorry if it is.

I know this is basic when you think about how the solar system moves through space, but when I actually saw it visualized it blew my mind. Thought you might enjoy.

I should note, now that Ive been informed. The motions depicted in this video are not completely accurate. It is more to visualize the fact that the sun is moving. Of course this isnt a new concept by a long shot. But as one poster so aptly put it. Knowing is completely different then understanding.

edit on 27/9/2012 by osirys because: factual errors ... I guess

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I saw this a couple of years ago and I was shocked to see how our planets moved.
Nice catch !

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Oh cool, I like that! Thanks for posting!

VS

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by osirys

Looks kind of like a DNA strand no ?

Very awesome.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
As an amateur astronomer i have never seen this

Consider my mind = blown!

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Thank you!

That was amazing. Such a new way to look at things.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by skepticconwatcher
reply to post by osirys

Looks kind of like a DNA strand no ?

Very awesome.

Ah I've seen this before. It does look like a strand of DNA. That's exactly what I thought when I saw it..

After all we ARE moving in one of the arms in a spiral galaxy, and the entire galaxy itself is moving ... somewhere.... Also the Andromeda galaxy is supposed to start colliding with the Milky Way in about 4 billion years. If Planet X won't kill us, and the Sun goes longer than 4 billion years, there's always Andromeda to count on

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
17 is my favorite number, so that is what hooked me....

Glad it did, cool video.

Crazy to think about what the actual motion dynamics look like of electrons around a nucleus, when the atom is in motion on a planet that is in motion around a star that is in motion within a galaxy that is in motion within the universe.

And the common theme is circular orbit, with the significant number in it all being pi.

As shown in Einstein's equation for general relativity and the cosmological constant, both of which contain pi as a factor of gravity.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Wow, I really had no idea. I honestly thought it looked more like the first model. I am going to look into this further.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Uh... I'm kindof confused here. What exactly about this was amazing? Did people not know that planets revolve around the sun or that they're all moving in space? I thought this was common knowledge.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by osirys
I wanted to share this, didnt see it posted yet, sorry if it is.

I know this is basic when you think about how the solar system moves through space, but when I actually saw it visualized it blew my mind. Thought you might enjoy.
Has nobody in this thread got a clue that this is WRONG???

That video was made by a crazy guy called Nassim Haramein who among other things says a proton has more mass than Mount Everest. Why should this video animation be any better? It's not. He shows the angle of the solar system relative to the galaxy at 90 degrees, and this is wrong, it's 60 degrees:

Solar system

The plane of the ecliptic lies at an angle of about 60° to the galactic plane.

Don't trust any thing that comes from Nassim Haramein, unless you want to end up looking foolish.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by osirys

I agree with the rest of the posters here, definitely cool way to perceive it. leaves you wanting to see the extended version of that video. So much to discuss such little time for me to be here on ats today.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by osirys

It requires a little more use of your brain than a 17 second erroneous video, but;

Where is the ecliptic in relation to the Milky Way?

The video implies a 90 degree axial tilt to the solar system's eliptic plane as opposed to sympathizing with the galactic ecliptic.

Fact of the matter is, despite misleading videos;

The equator (or plane) of the Milky Way is tilted by about 60º to the plane of the ecliptic, the plane of the Earth’s orbit around the sun.

The plane of the Earth’s orbit around the sun is called the ecliptic. The plane of the ecliptic projected onto the stellar sphere marks the sun’s annual path in front of the background stars. Although the sun appears to move eastward through the stars at about one degree per day, this apparent motion is really a reflection of the Earth orbiting the sun.

What is the ecliptic?

The ecliptic is an important reference and is often highlighted on sky charts. Because the planets of the solar system circle the sun on nearly the same plane that the Earth circles the sun, the planets are always found on or close to the ecliptic. The plane of the moon’s orbit around Earth is only somewhat askew to the plane of the ecliptic, so the moon is always found on or near the ecliptic, too. When the new moon aligns with the ecliptic, we have a total eclipse of the sun. When the full moon aligns with the ecliptic, we have a total lunar eclipse.

The video is pretty, but, the video is WRONG.

The universe is much more complex than you want to believe it is.

You can try to simplify and reduce your understanding of the universe down to misleading and false videos, or you can even go back to Copernican spheres of influence if you like, but, no matter how much you want to simplify the universe, the universe will have a thing or two to say in disagreement if you stopped looking at Youtube and actually looked at the sky.

Edit: Thank you Arbitrageur. You beat me to it.

edit on 27-9-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by PatrickGarrow17

Mine too

Cool video! Thanks for sharing

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Is the general pattern of motion not correct, though? That is the main point of the animation, a visual representation of the fact that planets aren't just circling in the same spot over and over again.

Elementary stuff, yeah. But it's pretty cool to see the effect of orbits in motion.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by trollz
Uh... I'm kindof confused here. What exactly about this was amazing? Did people not know that planets revolve around the sun or that they're all moving in space? I thought this was common knowledge.

To know OF, and to Understand are two different things.

EX: I know of Rocket science....I don't fully understand it. If I studied more I could, but as of now I don't.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
What da hell was that?

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I know that this video might not be completely accurate, the thing that blew me away was seeing that the sun is moving...

I know that its nothing new, its basic astronomy. But its one of those things that I knew, but never really thought about the ramifications. And the angles relative to the ecliptic might not be right, but its still captures the sense that were moving.

Either way, its still a cool video in my opinion. It makes you think outside the box.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85

To know OF, and to Understand are two different things.

Very well said, those were the words I was looking for.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Also to the posters that pointed out that the angle to the ecliptic is actually 60 degrees.

Thanks for pointing that out. I think the video was showing it at 90 because that was simpler to illustrate. But its good to get the whole picture.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join