Cherokee Nation Chief is obviously not of Native American ancestry, just look at him.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12
reply to post by wascurious

I have a sneaking suspicion that this thread isn't about native American ancestry but more about political ideology, political baiting and trolling for stars and flags.

What are stars and flags good for?
Are they even good for anything on ATS?

I have a sneaking suspicion you have to be read to. Of course this thread is not about Native American ancestry. It is about Scott Brown basing his entire Senate race on his special ability to tell people what race they are.

You would think a thread about a senator running for re-election would not give you sneaking suspicions about politics. It was pretty blatant.

Did you see me address politics?
YEP!
Did you see me address Native American ancestry?
Nope.
Did you see me point out a political campaign being run around the idea of racist notions against Native Americans.
YEP!

Now where do your sneaking suspicions lead you?

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:37 PM
link   
edit on 27-9-2012 by RighteousDude because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by hounddoghowlie
here's one for you.
one of the most well known photographs in U.S. history.

Migrant Mother

does she look white to you?
bet you didn't know she was Cherokee.

I was going to guess some Native American long before I was going to guess white. But then I would be stereotyping as bad as Scott Brown. She does not look white to me. But unlike Scott, I would not deny her if her and her people said she was.

Bad example if that is supposed to be a NA who looks Caucasian. Sorry but she really does look to have Native American blood in her right off the bat.

I can say what it is I think she may look like and know that I could be way off. I would not dare claim to know what she is just by looking at her.
edit on 27-9-2012 by wascurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by METACOMET
How many of you watched this debate? I'll do my best to explain.

I did and I know I do not need you to interpret for me what I saw but let us see.

Elizabeth Warren has claimed Native American Ancestry on her applications, taking advantage of affirmative action to advance her career.

Where in the debate was it pointed out what advantage she gained by checking that box?

The Scott Brown campaign looked into her background and found that she does not have any traceable Native ancestry and called Warren out to prove it.

No, Scott Brown could not find what he was hoping to not find. I cannot find my car keys right now but that does not mean they never existed. Were it beneficial to me to NOT find those keys, it is very easy to just keep looking in all the wrong places. Those keys still exist. The Cherokee nation seems to see things differently. Where were they at the debate?

The thing you are lost on here is that there is no proof either way. Scott Brown found the same proof Elizabeth Warren found. If you actually watched the debate, you would know that.

During the debate, Warren half admitted that she could not prove her ancestry. She attempted to skirt the question by claiming that her family always told her she did have native blood, so that is why she put it on her applications. In other words, she can't prove it but her actions were not malicious due to the fact that her family told her it was true.

No, she fully admitted she could not prove her ancestry. See, I actually did watch the debate.

After that came to light during the debate, Brown said "as you can see" she is not, in fact, Native American.

That is not how that came out at all. You either did not watch the debate either or you only saw the FOX highlights which happen to be edited down to just your false narrative. Interesting when things coincide like that.

Now his words are being twisted into rhetoric like the OP and so many in this thread that have no idea what they are talking about. I know the truth isn't important anymore but I thought I'd share that with the few that read this.

BTW, Scott Brown sucks. Warren is a liar. What else is new?

edit on 27-9-2012 by wascurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Oh looky here, republicans being openly racist. Nothing new......

Meeting With American Indians Is Wrong, Says RNC Leader

edit on 27-9-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
My father is 1/2 mic-mac, so it follows that I'm 1/4 mic-mac myself, though I don't generally identify as such. I've taken steps to be legally recognized as in the tribe, but generally I identify with my Scot-Irish ancestry. The truth is, it's simply not possible to identify somebody's genetic makeup at a glance. What's that old adage, about a book and its cover?

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
if he walked up like that to a band of cherokee's in 1862 he would most likely get scalped than be elected chief.

I know you meant that as humor, but it is woefully ignorant. When the Cherokee were moved off their land in the North Georgia mountains in the 1830's, the Cherokee has schools, library, a court system. There were Cherokee who owned plantations and had slaves. They lived in regular homes. The Cherokee paper was, at the time, one of the most widest read newspapers from the U.S. read in Europe. The head of the Cherokee Nation at the time was 1/8th Cherokee and had blue eyes.

I know this because I lived there for ten years and did considerable study for a freelance article I pitched to Creative Loafing. The GA state government had been waiting for years for the feds to chase them out and when huge chunks of placer gold was discovered just south of the Dahlonega, GA (Cherokee for "yellow money"), these people got chased off. Many turned to their white friends to hide their heirlooms. In today's term, we call it ethnocide, no different that the Serbs killing and chasing off the Croatians.

The Trail of Tears depicted with "natives" in buckskin and head dresses are fanciful creations by uninformed white artists.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Both nosebleed Natives as my grandpa would say. Just enough Native blood in them to call themselves Native, but if they ever have a nosebleed, then it's all gone!

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
edit on 28-9-2012 by thefullbug because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
I guess stereotypes overriding reality maybe?

~Heff

Aint that the truth !!!!

If you seen my children, you wouldn't believe that they are mixed in quarters........

It still averages out to a whole..........though.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by thefullbug
Both nosebleed Natives as my grandpa would say. Just enough Native blood in them to call themselves Native, but if they ever have a nosebleed, then it's all gone!

Nothing beats casual, old-timey racism.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
My stepmom was part NA, looked like average white old lady, but when she got back from an AZ trip tanned deeply brown, she looked just like the old pics of Sitting Bull. She laughed when aquaintances suddenly asked if she had NA ancestry!

I can't believe in this day and age anyone still thinks one can determine ancestry on sight. Brown will attract exactly the demographic he wants with this nonsense. To me the point isn't whether she is or isn't. It's that he shows his blockheaded ignorance by using this as a means of "disproving" her as NA. Right or wrong, the method used to arrive at this conclusion is very telling. Reminds me of the math teacher requiring us to "show your work". Big difference between "look at her" and "geneological research shows". Both might lead to the same answer that she's not, but the method chosen speaks volumes about the man's thought process in general.

And don't hate on F-Troop. Back when there were 3 channels that signed off in the wee hours and knobs on the tv, that was the big stay-up-late treat!

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by wascurious

I have ancestors from deep dark africa...the Congo. But my looks would fool hitler....

sec.line
edit on 28/9/2012 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Her having taken advantage of her heritage is a falsehood created by Scott Brown's re-election staff.

Full statement by Elizabeth Warren on ancestry
The following is the full statement provided to the Boston Globe by Elizabeth Warren’s campaign Wednesday night regarding her assertions of Native American ancestry.
Growing up, my mother and my grandparents and my aunts and uncles often talked about our family’s Native American heritage. As a kid, I never thought to ask them for documentation - what kid would? - but that doesn’t change the fact that it is a part of who I am and part of my family heritage.

The people involved in recruiting and hiring me for my teaching jobs, including Charles Fried - solicitor-general under Ronald Reagan who has publicly said he voted for Scott Brown in 2010 - have said unequivocally they were not aware of my heritage and that it played no role in my hiring. Public documents that reporters have examined also show I did not benefit from my heritage when applying to college or law school. As I have confirmed before, I let people know about my Native American heritage in a national directory of law school personnel. At some point after I was hired by them, I also provided that information to the University of Pennsylvania and Harvard. My Native American heritage is part of who I am, I’m proud of it and I have been open about it.

The people of Massachusetts are concerned about their jobs, the future for their kids, and the security of retirement. It’s past time we moved on to the important issues facing middle class families in Massachusetts.

boston.com
edit on 28-9-2012 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I am an American first

No you are a human first. Humans existed before America and after America.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

As it should be, there's one caveat though... in order to claim Native reparations (ha) including under affirmative action for schools, you have to prove it and be a registered tribe member. Brown is another branch on the idiot tree that has completely taken over the Republican Party.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Originally posted by Hefficide
I guess stereotypes overriding reality maybe?

~Heff

Aint that the truth !!!!

If you seen my children, you wouldn't believe that they are mixed in quarters........

It still averages out to a whole..........though.

Actually 4 quarters average out to 1 quarter.

Could not resist. You are just so easy, Neo, I mean Sonny.

edit on 28-9-2012 by wascurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by pajoly
The Trail of Tears depicted with "natives" in buckskin and head dresses are fanciful creations by uninformed white artists.

One of my favorite songs, written by a Native American. No buckskins or headdresses here either.

I really have to laugh at the people accusing me of trolling for stars and flags with this thread. Upon review, the ones getting all the stars are the ones mistakenly calling me a racist because they believe I said what Brown said.
None of them are calling Brown a racist though.

What is that all about?
edit on 28-9-2012 by wascurious because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Originally posted by wascurious
So Scott Brown can tell Elizabeth Warren is not of any Cherokee lineage just by looking at her?
What does the Cherokee Chief have to say about that?

Gosh I have no idea. This guy is too white to ask. Isn't he?

I think you ought to look into the subject of genetics.

Genetics is simply too complex for some people to understand.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by wascurious
So Scott Brown can tell Elizabeth Warren is not of any Cherokee lineage just by looking at her?
What does the Cherokee Chief have to say about that?

Gosh I have no idea. This guy is too white to ask. Isn't he?

She lied, benefited from it and now can;t back it up. Only a liberal Democrat could get away with something so outrageous.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join