It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So what would stopping the govt assistance really do?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I'm not talking about the small percent who take advantage of it, though they are the only ones who seem to get coverage and stories and youtube vids going on which makes it seem worse than it really is. The majority lately on assistance are either unable to work due to medical issues, or can not find work not for a lack of trying constantly, or they're on social security (Which they worked their lives for and are getting back what they paid in for) or are on unemployment (again, what they worked and paid into, their own money).

Keep those people in mind please; NOT the welfare addicts. This is NOT about them. Some rotten apples don't mean the whole lot is bad.

So, if Romney gets in and dices the help, what will this do? We'll have hard working folk who fell into hard times suffering more for it. We'll see crime rates rise exponentially I would think; people need to eat, to have medicine etc. They need places to live. Given all I've read and such, it's hard for family and friends to carry others as they're not doing too well either. Like it's said, people are one fireing or lay off away from being on aid too. Lots of folks live check to check since the cost of living overpowers the amount they make once bills, rent, mortgage etc are paid.

What we need to do is, if Romney does get in, hope and pray hard that he brings jobs back instead of doing his old track record of sending them all overseas. ONLY once jobs are brought back and the economy picks up THEN we can start the slow stopping of govt aid. Jobs brought back, would mean those hard working Americans who fell into hard times can get back into the working fields and tend for themselves like they've done since working age started for them. If the help is taken before we have a firm working foot to stand on as a whole, things will no doubt turn very ugly. Desperate times, after all. Not everyone has money to start a business. I'm currently very rich with about 400 dollars right now for example. Many have far less. So starting a business is out of the question for most. We have to rely on the govt bringing jobs back here; letting mom and pop stores flourish instead of being weeded out by huge corporates like Walmart, etc.

Oh I could go on and on in that category alone but nah. I'll open the floor to any and all discussion.

Just remember, this is NOT about the leechers of the aid. I have a feeling if the aid was stopped over time, the majority would find work. Don't know how legal said work would be but they'd find work. Did that open a can of worms? Hope not. I do want to keep the discussion OFF the leechers. The bigger percent were and are hard workers who fell into hard times.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
It would definately stop this mentality.
Video of a Obama supporter claiming vote Obama for free phone.

edit on 27-9-2012 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by proob4

well a free phone would be the least america can do for 400 years of slavery, lynching and racism.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Good points Op !
What it would do is Kill Grandma.
Remember when the republicans said Obama
was secretly going to have death panels and kill your Grandma?
Well that's what pulling entitlements from old people would do.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
reply to post by proob4

well a free phone would be the least america can do for 400 years of slavery, lynching and racism.

How Many Years? Where did you get your Education?
What's this Blame America Crap? Who started the Slave Trade? Who Sold Who Into Slavery?
Africans, That's Who!
My family never owned a Slave like many American families Today, back in the Day of Slavery they were just poor farmers themselves. Get a Life and an Education, Whites, Asians, Hispanics and every other Race in America today Owes Today's African-Americans Nothing!
They have been catered to by Politicians Long Enough!
sarra1833, Sorry about that, It would Take Away the number of Voters for the Democratic Party,,,,, That's what would happen!
MODS: Sorry about the Rant,,
edit on 27-9-2012 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

Stopping it would make those who don't qualify for it feel better about themselves, until they realized they don't have anyone else to blame for their conditions!

The only reason people blame those who are receiving help for the woes of our society is that they are too cowardly to look towards the actual welfare recipients of this country!!! BANKERS, and CORPORATIONS!!!

As we can see happening now with the raiding of retirement accounts by the bankers, I will look forward to those who want to point the fingers at the have nots for this happening as well!

If you buy into the class warfare, you are as ridiculous as those who buy into the left/right paradigm and religion! We are all human beings and need to respect others as we all EXPECT others to respect us!!!

When you look into the mirror, you need to not see the color of your skin or your religious or political affiliation as to WHO YOU ARE, but to realize that we are ALL HUMAN BEINGS!

Those that we are all fighting about realize these differences and use them against us on a daily basis so that they can retain their CONTROL and POWER over all of us! Why can't we all just defeat them by dropping labels and consider us all part of the family we will now declare as HUMANITY??

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

LOL America is not even 400 years old.
And MY post had nothing to do with Race or slavery BTW.
edit on 27-9-2012 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Stopping government assistance programs, if it were actually possible, would just create a need. People would suffer for x number of years ( however long until the next Presidential elections ) and then would elect the candidate who ran on the "I will ease your pain" platform. And the one who offered the most back to the people would win.

Then the entire cycle would repeat. Systems would be created to help, folks would find out how to abuse those systems, over years, and one day a conservative will promise to kill all entitlements if elected - and he will win.

And then go back to where I started and infinity loop.

The tragedy is that what it really is is culling - killing off the weak, every so often - also known as eugenics. In America some of us use the euphemism "conservative"... but a rose by any other name.

FTR: That is not a shot at conservatives in general. There are some brilliant and responsible conservatives around. But it IS a shot at social Darwinists and elitists.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

While I am a conservative I believe that cutting out social welfare programs would be a disaster for everybody! I get frustrated with many that I've seen abusing the system, but I've seen so many others who could really use some help be turned away because they are not willing to fudge a little bit on their applications and documentation.

If everyone who is currently receiving assistance were to be cut off abruptly and left to rely on the charity of friends, family and private charitable organizations the results would be a horror! Just imagine elderly people dying in the streets from lack of medical care, food and shelter. What about all of the children who would suffer the same? How many more families will be homeless (like there aren't too many already)?

My own family is already in a financial bind from a long line of family and friends rotating in and out of our home because they had nowhere else to go, and our dinner portions are getting smaller and smaller as the number of people who come at dinner time because they have nothing to eat grows and grows. We never turn anyone away, but it is becoming more and more difficult. My husband and I have taken to skipping meals in order to be able to at least make sure there's enough food at supper time for everybody who shows up. Now imagine all of the families who don't make enough to live on themselves having to house and/or feed additional family members and neighbors who get cut off from assistance. It won't take very long at all before they find themselves in the same boat as those they are trying to help!

I say KEEP public assistance! We need to just be more diligent in investigating those who seem to have made it a lifestyle choice so as to weed out the abusers.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by guohua

reply to post by proob4

What's this Blame America Crap? Who started the Slave Trade? Who Sold Who Into Slavery?
Africans, That's Who!
My family never owned a Slave like many American families Today, back in the Day of Slavery they were just poor farmers themselves. Get a Life and an Education, Whites, Asians, Hispanics and every other Race in America today Owes Today's African-Americans Nothing!
sarra1833, Sorry about that, It would Take Away the number of Voters for the Democratic Party,,,,, That's what would happen!

Man, you seriously need to get over yourself, and get educated, no disrespect intended. By the way this was written, you seem to have a problem with Black people in general. Oh, and by the way, champ, I'm a Black American, with Cherokee roots, and I've never been to Africa, so I don't label myself as African American. You seem to be under the impression that most of us Black people look for handouts or feel entitled. That would be a negative, chief. I think you're confusing the antics of SOME of the urban youth, with ALL Black people in general, and you couldn't be further from the truth. And as far as entitlement goes, there isn't a color barrier for that sentiment, boss. Look around you.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by poloblack

reply to post by proob4

Africans, That's Who!

Man, you seriously need to get over yourself, and get educated, no disrespect intended. By the way this was written, you seem to have a problem with Black people in general. Oh, and by the way, champ, I'm a Black American, with Cherokee roots, and I've never been to Africa, so I don't label myself as African American. You seem to be under the impression that most of us Black people look for handouts or feel entitled. That would be a negative, chief. I think you're confusing the antics of SOME of the urban youth, with ALL Black people in general, and you couldn't be further from the truth. And as far as entitlement goes, there isn't a color barrier for that sentiment, boss. Look around you.

The statement I made was the truth and that person as not the slightest idea of how long America was involved in the slave trade or how long America has even been a Country.
Just about Every American I've ever met has claimed a Little Cherokee Indian Roots. I don't really care if your from Mars, Keep Your Facts Straight If You're Going To Blame An Entire Nation!
I'm Not Your Champ or your Chief and You Bringing the Race Card Into This Does Not Scare Me At All!
You are the one that had to announce to every one here your a Black Person,,, Good For You!

I'm Chinese, Born and Raised, Married to a Real American Indian.
Now this thread is not about you, it's about Stopping Government Assistance and any problems that may be cased.
Personally, I think if you're Healthy, then Proof of Drug and Alcohol test and proof of searching for work before you collect benefits.
A safety net for people is only correct, but,,,, a safety need for healthy people to include a free cell phone is not something I think Tax Payers can afford, Do like China does with the unemployed, Give them a Broom and have them sweep the sidewalks and clean the streets for their welfare portions.
Just My Opinion.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by poloblack

reply to post by proob4

Africans, That's Who!

The statement I made was the truth and that person as not the slightest idea of how long America was involved in the slave trade or how long America has even been a Country.
Just about Every American I've ever met has claimed a Little Cherokee Indian Roots. I don't really care if your from Mars, Keep Your Facts Straight If You're Going To Blame An Entire Nation!
I'm Not Your Champ or your Chief and You Bringing the Race Card Into This Does Not Scare Me At All!
You are the one that had to announce to every one here your a Black Person,,, Good For You!

I'm Chinese, Born and Raised, Married to a Real American Indian.
Now this thread is not about you, it's about Stopping Government Assistance and any problems that may be cased.
Personally, I think if you're Healthy, then Proof of Drug and Alcohol test and proof of searching for work before you collect benefits.
A safety net for people is only correct, but,,,, a safety need for healthy people to include a free cell phone is not something I think Tax Payers can afford, Do like China does with the unemployed, Give them a Broom and have them sweep the sidewalks and clean the streets for their welfare portions.
Just My Opinion.

My grandmother was a REAL Native American, but thanks for knowing my heritage better than I do. You're Chinese born and raised, huh? Well bully for you, CHAMP. Now I understand your views towards blacks. And nobody's trying to scare you, so, please, get over yourself. You're not even a born American, so who are you to tell me anything? This isn't China, and if you think so highly of your country, why are you here? My family has served this country from World War 2 up to today as I type this, father, both grandfathers, uncles, cousins, so for you to come from some other country, especially China, and try to berate me is an insult. MY forefathers and family has contributed valiantly to this country. Have yours??

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by poloblack

Well it was seem this thread is all about you,,,,,,,, What would my feeling be about a Black Person?
I don't care for Welfare Cheats of any Race and I didn't bring Race into this You Did, Being So Uppity About Black People.
Please stop trying to Hijack this thread from the OP, Really you've done enough, Every one Knows You're Black with a Little Cherokee now and every body knows you have a problem with the word Champ and so on,,, Please just go and Troll another Thread, A lot of us here will not feel sorry for you and how you feel towards Chinese or other America Citizens Not Actually Born In America.

You Will Now Be Ignored and I Have Not Shed One Tear Over The Fact You're Black With A Little Cherokee.
Stay On Topic Or Stay Away,

Now back on topic,,,,,, Some sort of plan needs to be in place to assure people with Real Disabilities are taken care of, not 3rd. and 4th, Generation Welfare Families.
Just For You poloblack, of any Race.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

reply to post by poloblack

Well it was seem this thread is all about you,,,,,,,, What would my feeling be about a Black Person?
I don't care for Welfare Cheats of any Race and I didn't bring Race into this You Did, Being So Uppity About Black People.
Please stop trying to Hijack this thread from the OP, Really you've done enough, Every one Knows You're Black with a Little Cherokee now and every body knows you have a problem with the word Champ and so on,,, Please just go and Troll another Thread, A lot of us here will not feel sorry for you and how you feel towards Chinese or other America Citizens Not Actually Born In America.

You Will Now Be Ignored and I Have Not Shed One Tear Over The Fact You're Black With A Little Cherokee.
Stay On Topic Or Stay Away,

Now back on topic,,,,,, Some sort of plan needs to be in place to assure people with Real Disabilities are taken care of, not 3rd. and 4th, Generation Welfare Families.
Just For You poloblack, of any Race.
Go check your post that I first responded to...you specifically said ''today's African-Americans''. And if you check any of my previous posts, I'm no troll. You brought race up, not me, I was just calling you out on it. And there's no need to feel sorry for me, as I need no man's pity, and I wouldn't want,need, or, expect you to shed any tears over me. I don't think deadbeats should be living off the system, and I never implied such. OP, I wasn't trying to derail your thread...my apologies. To guohua, you need to check yourself .Like I said before, my ancestors and family CONTRIBUTED to this country, to this day. In my first post to you, I specified that I wasn't trying to disrespect you, yet, you blatantly disrespect me, which is your right, as a naturalized citizen.
edit on 27-9-2012 by poloblack because: (no reason given)

top topics

join