Storm over genetically modified maize study worsens

page: 1

join

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Storm over genetically modified maize study worsens

www.newscientist.com

THOSE who hoped the study would go away will be disappointed. Claims that eating genetically modified maize gives rats tumours have provoked a storm in Europe.

The French government says it will suspend imports of the maize if its National Health and Safety Agency finds the results valid.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.newscientist.com
www. liberation.fr

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Russia suspends GMO corn imports
France will push for GM ban if cancer threat confirmed (Update)
Study finds tumors in rats fed on Monsanto's GM corn
edit on 27-9-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
An exceedingly short article but very relevant to Pfizer's newest child-corporation Monsanto.

It appears the French Government is leaving it up to their "National Health and Safety Agency" to determine if the research is "valid."

The only problem is that this agency had already given it's policy input affirming the safety of the GMO maize.

Meanwhile, the European Food Safety Authority is asking Gilles-Eric Séralini and colleagues at the University of Caen, who did the research, for detailed data not presented in the publication so it can evaluate the finding.

Whether the request is met remains to be seen, as Séralini has said the EFSA cannot evaluate the study due to a conflict of interest, having declared the maize safe.

I wonder how likely it is that any agency (like every else in the "west") full of politically-appointed "leaders" would change their minds?

The saga continues.....

www.newscientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Perhaps I am being naiive but it appears there is actually hope to putting an end to this GMO nightmare. I'm usually very skeptical when it comes to fighting these huge corporations that own our governments, but there is a ray of sunshine and we cannot give up.

It will be a long war, but we have recently won a few small battles.

ETA:

I believe it will be a lot more difficult to defeat these corrupt distributors of poison here in North America as Monsanto and their umbrella companies have their hand in everything.
edit on 27-9-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Unfortunately, the study has been maligned by association with a research team that has been said to have been 'unreliable' before. Of course, I have no idea as to whether that is a truthful or factual assessment - just one the media has been eagerly propagating.

In this, the entire topic is conspiracy candy.... who control the media anyway? 5 corporations? One may have to wonder if these 'bad' researchers were put in place to diminish the arguments against GMO. It's hard to say.

Anecdotal wisdom seems to indicate that all the commercial research is as flawed as what the establishment is railing against. This might make a good debate topic.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I am torn on GMO as it has done a lot of good too, like creating edible food that can be grown in environments where it was impossible before.

I think the idea of putting poisons in them was a terrible blow to all the good they have done and was a terrible miscalculation.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marid Audran
I am torn on GMO as it has done a lot of good too, like creating edible food that can be grown in environments where it was impossible before.

I think the idea of putting poisons in them was a terrible blow to all the good they have done and was a terrible miscalculation.

Now there is something I've never heard of.

What environment can GMO foods be produced in where it was impossible before as you state above? Name just one environment. There are none.

They also didn't put poisons in them as you state. They altered their product genetically so that their particular poison when sprayed would kill everything but their seed and plant products.

It looks like to me that GMO foods is going to cause the crash of America. It also looks like Americans will be stuck eating leftover GMO foods, because every other country is going to ban GMO foods.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Marid Audran

I agree... but it enabled the corporation to be effectively, a monopoly. The shareholders and board of trustees were likely ecstatic with the revenue the strategy generated for them.

Their insertion into the political regime here in the United States made it possible for them to use our national influence to make their position impossible to challenge, and their intimacy with the UN and the development of the Codex Alimentarium makes it clear their goals remain at the global level.

No one wants starvation and strife to be visited upon the world (I hope) but these folks would use it as a business opportunity... because that is all mercantilism is... their prosperity serves the political elite... so take from that what you will.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

I've seen you raise this point in a different thread on this topic and I completely agree. No matter what results we discover it will be dismissed as unreliable and or flawed. This is what Monsanto and their friends want,and they are very effective at this deception...they are pretty smart and have contingency plans for this type of negative PR but I believe it's a real shame that any valid study that proves this stuff to be poison will be swept under the carpet as "flawed" research.

In my opinion, and I'm sure many will agree, we need to look past this facade as this behavior from the corporate giants is to be expected.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Smart-alek alert : Maybe Harvard will come out with a study that proves that only Europeans get cancers and tumors from GMO and we are safe??
Im still irked at the fluoride study.

The thing with GMO is its really not necessary. Tell me why in the middle of corn country do we have to have terminators and GMO corn?? Im having a hard time figuring that out.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

You know, the more I look into this, the more I realize that 'we' are on our own. It is painfully evident that those who we would naturally think are here to help us - aren't. Political and commercial expedience have one thing in common...it's not for "our" benefit.

I often here the establishment celebrities talking about how destructive the "us" versus "them" paradigm is... but then they keep perpetuating it - expecting us to think it's not the same when they do it.

GMO was a great idea.... linking it with private profit makes it poison.... pun intended.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

I'm sure many universities are being motivated as we speak to pronounce anything that equates to "all is well, trust us, we would never harm you."

But the information distribution on our little planet is so prone to abuse, we can never trust them again.... in the end, they will have destroyed themselves... which would be fine by me if it's by their own hand... what's NOT fine by me is that they will take millions with them as they sell their 'products.'

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Marid Audran

Don't be torn by GMO because there's enough independant research out there to say it's a slow killer for humans and the soil. Any research says otherwise, you only have to dig a little deeper to see those research companies are owned and controlled by Monsanto.

There only way food can grow in harsh environments (eg: desert) is through water irrigation however GMO seedlings destroy anything in its path including the soil it grows in. Even new tractor blades had to be invented to cut GM maize and other crops.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
The corn issue is no different than the wheat issue.
Wheat 50 years ago had 14 chromosones. Wheat now has 42.
No kidding. By-products of digesting this wheat can cross the blood brain barrier.
It's slow poison.

Gen mod foods are created for profit. They are not created for health.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Is that from Wheat Belly?

Wheat is Murder podcast

Yeah I cut down on my wheat 90% and I have no regrets -- stuff totally makes havoc with the colon -- and it has just as high as glycemic index as sugar. I didn't realize that wheat creates so much E. Coli crap! haha.

Anyway but it's probably different then eating wheat in rural Morocco.

new topics

top topics

join