It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burpees Suck!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Just put of interest .......what was Datroofs response that was subsequently edited out ?
Was your edit about drop and give me 50 a response ?
Sorry I keep tabs on EVERYONE
Meh force of habit

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Neocrusader

he edited before I got the chance to see, but I fixed a typo and did add that last line. I intuited he might have thought it was a pussy exercise, then realized he was in the wrong...or maybe he thought i put put it on ats forum instead of bts so asked what this had to do with conspiracies...I dunno.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
It's only been two weeks since I started exercising again, but I've already lost an inch off the waist. Looking to drop two more before next summer. I was never keen on the BMI as an accurate assessment for health, but this new calculator called the absi seems to be the real deal. If I can gain a half dozen lbs in lean body, and drop a few in fat, I should go from a 20% increased risk, to a 30% decreased risk from the norm. Again, should be there by next spring-summer.

HIIT yesterday, increased resistance, added an interval rep, and decreased recovery jog time slightly. Felt great (like death!). Rest day, and will go for 55 burpees tomorrow.

7 rounds 30 on 30 off. 10,9,8,7,7,7,7

It's more of an aggressive approach than I stated in the OP, but I figure if I need to can give myself an extra day for recovery.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Fail!

Yesterday I realized that my from completely sucked for burpees. I'm going to create muscle imbalance from the get go and also put extra pressure on my left side which isn't my best. When I kick to and from a pushup position I do it almost in a swinging gallop became I'm weak and am trying to perform under the clock...

Decided to drop the interval timed training for a couple of sessions. Will perform slow, perfect burpees until failure, rest until I catch my breathe, and repeat until I can do no more. Figure with my "muscle memory" from all the burpees at the beginning of the year, it will only be a couple of sessions like that before I can go back to timed interval sessions with good form.

I managed a few more than last session with the extra rep, because I slowed it down a bit and tried to focus on the form. No point in trying the intervals until I get this down.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
That looks like it would burn off the fat. I think I might start with one next Monday.

If I manage the 1, can I keep doing just the 1 every day for the whole first week? I don't want to strain myself too much.

ps I imagine any trapped wind would get moving right along doing that so is that why they're called burpees?

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Burpees are really not that hard, but trying to do them for minutes on end, then it becomes a real work out. I used to do them when working out just by themselves, or doing martial arts related workouts, as in you drop down do one burpee then you shoot back up you do a high kick, or punch, then drop back down and repeat, I used to hate them but its a great exercise that builds your reflexes also.

The only thing I hated more were doing bunny hops all around the gym, sure with a name like bunny hops it sounds easy, and it even looks easy, but its not. And I am talking about the ones were you got to go low to the ground and shoot up and forward. After a while and if your using weights it really sucks, especially if you try to do some more leg exercises or kicking exercises right after. But it will build your leg strength and that fast twitch muscle up real fast.

Now a days I just do straight weightlifting but getting back into doing more things, in fact for the past few weeks been getting back into more martial arts with some people at my local gym, nothing serious really more just exercises and messing around punching bags. I over did it last week however, because for the past few days my lower back has been killing me, one of the reasons why I've been so much on the internet and ATS for the past few days also, hopefully it will heal up by tomorrow or in a few more days.

Bunny Hops.

posted on Oct, 16 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Burpees keep you honest, but only if you do the push up and a jump at the end. Get a weight vest once they get easy. Also, a favorite of mine is doing burpee pyramids; do 1 then rest for 10 seconds, then do 2 then another 10 second rest until you get to X number, then go back down until you get to 1. It’s brutal, and you get more in that way. Also, don’t neglect your squats. I highly recommend Jim Wendler’s 5/3/1 program. It covers size, strength, and conditioning in a very basic, brutal, and customizable format.

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

You're probably correct on the origin of the name. Not sure, thou.

As for how many you should do, it's up to your will power and current fitness level. Doing one is kinda pointless, imo, but it depends on if you've got health issues or are extremely unfit. If you're healthy, but simply unfit/sedentary, try to manage 5-10 for your first time.

When training, you basically want to go passed your comfort zone, but not to the point that you feel like you're about to puke. It takes time to listen to your body well and figure out what you can handle. When I took my baseline for crossfit at the end of 2011, I puked right after the session. Only time it happened, but I got really close with a few others over the months.

You basically want to over-reach a bit, but then fully recover, and repeat.

reply to post by galadofwarthethird

Correct. Doing a few burpees isn't difficult. The technique is aimed at a beginner. It's only when you start getting into doing more than a dozen that they can become a serious pain in the arse. I'm guessing most people couldn't handle more than 30-40 in an untrained state without puking. It takes aerobic, anaerobic, and a little strength training to be able to hit out 100 in less than ten minutes without hurling.

reply to post by Banananananana

Squats are awesome. I'm just doing body-weight squats right now and some core work before adding any weight. The 5/3/1 program is great, I have the pdf somewhere.

Last little bit I'll say is to SLOWLY build up so you don't over train and/or get injured. I'm already hitting a bit of insomnia from the combination of quitting the puffage + alcohol, and physically training. Learning to step it back and focus my energies on other endeavors which are non-physical.

No more burn-outs

btw, I've now lost 3 1/2 inches off my waist: 34.5 - 31... in like 6 weeks. Also dropped 7lbs, but gained muscle definition. Thinking nearly all the lbs were fat. Awesome!
edit on 19-10-2012 by moniesisfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 19 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by moniesisfun

Congrats on the weight loss and muscle gain! I agree that one needs to be self-aware and build slowly. Fitness should be a lifelong pursuit, thus goals should be geared towards long term missions. Anyway, keep up the grind!

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Thanks mang!

Somehow managed to lose yet another inch off my waist down to 30. Don't think I need to lose any more. I seem to be between 7-10%bf, yet abs aren't poking out.

Taking weekend off to recover from slight overreach, then doing a hard upper body session. Fifty pullups in variations, as many burpees as I can handle, finish off chest with a few sets of max pushups, 6 max sets of curls, and bicycle kicks to kill my abs.

Will update thread Monday with how many burpees I completed. Going to rest until thursday then do a HIIT elliptical, calf raises, jump rope, and air squats. Damned it feels great getting lean and fit again!
edit on 20-10-2012 by moniesisfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Have you ever tried squat thrust burpees with a star jump on the end instead of just a jump?
When i was a bit younger i would put on a prodigy cd and do sets of 5 and then a three minute speed skip for a rest period, go as long as you can and befor you know it you are doing the whole cd.
I would recommend one day on, one day off for ten days then four days off.
Diet is THE most important thing for recovery and strength, but we all know that dont we.

edit on 20-10-2012 by marvinthemartian because: oops dyslexic

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by marvinthemartian

I actually just watched a chick doing star jumps on yt to make sure I knew what they were

I'll add it in. Might as well. Really want to do the ultimate and do them next to my pullup bar, for burpee pullups, but my bar is at the fort on the third story with hardwood floors, so I do the burpees at the 'rents castle that doesn't allow scuff marks ANYWHERE [crazy ocd, INTJ mother] . . .

Yes, diet is key to recovery. I've found a good ratio of macro's and get tons of antioxidants from veggies and spices. . . ginger and turmeric work wonders.

BTW, some genetic freaks seem as if they can gain LBM and work out high intensity every day on but milk and PB, but damned that's like 1 or 2% of the population. . . not I !!

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Try chillies and garlic with your ginger both super foods and it tastes lovely.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   

You’re welcome! Looks like you have everything in place, I’m sure you’ll be golden as you keep at it. As for the abs, that may just be due to water retention or your own individual muscle bellies. You can definitely make them thicker though; just use weighted ab exercises to make them ‘pop’ more. And I don’t know what your ultimate goals are in terms of weight/mass, but being that you’re at a lower body fat level, your body is primed for growth. You could definitely start focusing on heavy compound movements, add some calories, and put on a good bit of muscle. Either way, just enjoy what you’re doing and reap the benefits!

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Yes, I'm getting ready to pull out the bumpers and olympic bar and start consuming more calories for muscle growth. Might wait one more week to see if I can manage a little more fat loss, but it's basically time to bulk up.

I was also allowing myself time to build a good aerobic base, and decent metabolic conditioning before doing the compounds. Probably will start not this, but next Monday. Need to add in a little more core work...maybe some planks and superman's...I miss the dead-lift and push-press.

posted on Oct, 20 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Ya! Squats and milk baby!haha.Your plan seems very solid, I'm sure you'll see some good gains. I’m right with you on the deadlifts and overhead pressing. Tomorrow will be the my first time overhead pressing in two months from tweaking the heck out of my wrist a while back; can’t even tell you how excited I am. As for the deadlift, still progressing back to my old numbers from dealing with what seems to be a flash case of anterior pelvic tilt. I was spending hours leaning forward from a makeshift stool onto my bed for homework before I got a desk; and man, that really stiffened up my psoas and piriformis. So right now I’m taking it easy on deadlifts while gearing my training to abdominal and hip/glute re-strengthening. Can’t wait to get back to pulling heavy again!

posted on Oct, 21 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Alright, decided to go for it a day earlier.

Am just finishing my workout. Decided to cool down for 5-8 mins and go back for another couple sets of pushups and curls.

I managed 7, 6, & 5 long pullups, nuetrual, and chinups.

Drove less than 10 mins to the castle, and did 40 star burpees in under 8 mins, then switched to curls with 65lbs and pushups, max sets...4 times so far. . .

going back for two more rounds.

already got my post workout meal cooked

oh, and this is all on a fasting day. Will be working out every 3rd day while on fast. Decided it might be best to do IM every third, and not eat until after workout ~ 4-6pm. Last meal is the prior evening 6-8pm. It ups the HGH, adrenaline, and testosterone.

blah, that was too easy. I'm going to eat my meal in 20 mins, cool down for an hr, then head back to fort and reverse pullup order, max-1 each type, 3 minute rest for each, and then do neutral, chin, pull max.

should wipe out my CNS good for the next few days.

edit on 21-10-2012 by moniesisfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Alright I'm fairly well rested from squats on Sunday. Calfs and quads still a little sore, but meh. . .

Going to push it hard again and see what happens, uh-oh, lol.

****form** NO knees touching, full pushups to chest, shoulder width apart, full STAR **jump****

30 sec on 30 sec off, 5x

3min recover (2 1/2 because I use HIIT timer on smartphone and it will run through the previous 30 sec rest first)

repeat for 3 sets.

hoping to nail 90 burpees, 6 for each 30 second round.

Going to finish it off with 70# on the EZ curl max reps for 5 rounds, 1 minute + 1 minute rest for each successive set and call it a day.

Will be gauging fitness level by how long it takes me to recover from this.

I do that by seeing how long I have increased EPOC and difficult time waking up in the morning.

Try to bring my breathing to slightly over baseline before next session because I'm just not too fit.

Will edit this post in an hour and let ya know how bad I failed

j/k

SUCCESS!!!

90 burpees complete

I had to alter the break periods starting on the second set. A few of the 30 second breaks turned into ~1min, but I freaking did them all.

Going to add an additional set every other week.

Now for 5 more minutes of cooldown and I'm off to the EZ curl, then gulp some milk and take a nap.
edit on 30-10-2012 by moniesisfun because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Spent most of my basic training doing these.

Oh how i miss the sound of grown men crying and throwing up from being forced to do them as a punishment for ages.

CX.

posted on Oct, 30 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

We used to have to do things in athletics when I was in middle school. Each strike from other classes for misconduct or missed homework sessions gave you more things to do. I remember bearcrawls and sprinting the football length, and leaping into a squat thrust position, doing a pushup, and going back to sprint when the coach blew the whistle.

I always had more marks than anyone else
but it didn't phase me. Now that I'm thirty and spent the last decade sedentary puffing on something rather fanciful. . . it's a bit more tough

I decided to add the extra breaks in because I seriously was about to puke, and inside the 'rents castle
can't have that. . . I fear moms wrath more than the potential puking/heart attack!!!

I keep reading about people doing like 150 in one go, or several thousand in a day. . . are these people human

I'm working up to doing reps of 10 at a time, only doing six in a row right now. . . sheesh! I could probably dump out 30 in a couple of minutes but would have a greater chance of puking that not. Doesn't seem worth it to me. At 30. . . I'd rather not risk the heart attack. Best to slowly (erm, by my standards) build up.

Also!~ so many damned variations of the burpee. I seem to be doing one of the hardest ones save for the burpee pullup. I can only handle 7 pullups without touching ground atm. Won't even attempt that one for a while. Guess I'm being hard on myself. I have yet to see someone do a ton of burpees with full pushup, no knees, and full (star or not) jump at the end. Most videos are half assed. I could probably dump out double to triple easy ones like that in same time.
edit on 30-10-2012 by moniesisfun because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join