It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheyenne cop to combat vet: "I'll release you if you let my buddy point his gun at you" and other

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by whisperindave
Idiot didn't need to be carrying a weapon openly anyway.

And the opinion you are sharing here right now is provided to you by your right to free speech. So how would you feel if I were to call you an idiot and say, "You don't need to be sharing your opinion anyway"? See how this works? You have a right to free speech. Not a need to free speech, but a right. This man has a right to open carry, not a need. He is exercising that right, just like you are exercising your right to free speech.

All these bikers love to act tough and hard. If a cop asks you "Do you have a weapon" You tell them.

Wrong again. He was open carrying, that means the firearm is in plain view of the Officer. He is not required to tell this cop anything.

Officers carry weapons all the time, they are "strapped" in their minds, that means ready to kill. A common citizen is not. This is not the wild west.

Correct, this is not the Wild West which is why this man was not randomly firing his weapon.

You don't pass RVs doing a 100 miles an hour and then act like a prick to a cop!

And where is the evidence that this man passed an RV at 100 mph. He was not given a ticket, he was not charged with a crime. Passing an RV at 100 mph is a crime. So if he has no ticket, no arrest, and the Police simply let him go, where is the crime exactly? What you are doing here is assuming that what the cop said was correct, but if this cop was correct, this man would have at the very least received a ticket. Moving along... how is he being a prick by standing up for his rights? Again, you are exercising your right to free speech. Does that make you a prick for doing so?

Just common sense! What is wrong with you gun carrying morons? Do you really think you are going to stop a robbery?

Hmmm let us see who is really the moron here and ask this person if they think they are going to stop a robbery...

I could link more, but really I think I made my point. So yes, he could potentially stop a robbery. It has happened before, it will happen again. I can promise you that if you ever find yourself in a situation like the ones in the videos, you will be very thankful for the LEGAL gun owners who save your ass by exercising their right to bear arms.

Do you think you are combat trained and ready to be a hero with your pistol? I used to carry...All it ever did was get me in trouble. Then someone broke in my car and took the gun. Maybe they killed someone with it, or committed a robbery. But not once did having a gun do anything for me.

#1. This man is a Vet and is combat trained.
#2. Your a fool if you leave a weapon in a car. Let me ask you, what good does a weapon do you if it is in your car and you are not? This is what we call, irresponsible gun ownership. You are a fool to leave your weapon in your vehicle where it can be stolen from you very easily.
#3. If having a firearm did nothing for you, then you are lucky that you were never put in a position to have to use it. That's what we call "a good day".

Do yourself a favor, you openly carry, you tell the cop "I am armed." Simple. Stop trying this "Don't tread on me, I'm a libertarian, crap." All you are really doing is trying to intimidate other people.

#1. Being prepared to defend yourself or protect loved ones is not an attempt to intimidate anyone. If you go camping and bring a sleeping bag, are you trying to intimidate the bears?
#2. Protecting yourself has nothing to do with being a libertarian and no where does this man say he is.
#3. Again- he is open carrying. Any person with eyes can see he is openly displaying a firearm. Po9lice do it too, do Police need to inform you that they are armed or can you see that for yourself because it is openly displayed?

And the chances are good you will have your gun taken from you and used against you by someone MORE belligerent and MORE hostile than you are!

Only if you choose not to use the weapon, which in that case means you are not qualified to carry one. Anyone who carries a weapon prays to God they never have to use it, but is always prepared to do so. By this logic, even Police shouldn't carry a firearm. After all, someone will take it from him and kill him right?

Do you know what those field officers go through on every damned traffic stop!? They take their lives in their hands to protect YOU

#1. It is a chosen profession. Being an Officer is dangerous, they know it going in.
#2. Cops dont protect you. The enforce law and investigate crime. If Police protect people, there would be no murders. There would have be no mass shootings, no robberies, no rapes. Cops can not protect you cause they can not be everywhere. It is YOUR job to protect YOU, not theirs.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jakes51
Safety first! That is not an unreasonable request. What does it hurt to follow instructions, and comply? Nothing! .
edit on 28-9-2012 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

Why don't you ask a German Jew from the 1940's what it hurts to comply?

I bet you'd be shocked by the answer you receive.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Bravo to this man, acting with knowledge of the laws, without letting his mouth and anger get him in trouble and there for NOT breaking any laws.

Its men like this who need to be running our country and being our advocate to all things just and unjust.

To make the cherry ontop of the cake, he is a VET and to be treated of this sort is beyond
unbelievable.

I understand safety to all, but just because he is a biker or has a look about him is no reason to act the way this officer did.

This man , who was pulled over and cuffed should be awarded for the way he handled the situation and trigger happy, cocky cops old and young, should be removed from the force. Because thats what it has become now, a FORCE not a officer that protects or serves. However there a good cops out that, and they should be embarrassed of the actions of officers like that.
edit on 29-9-2012 by Wheresourights because: addition to post

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

Nice job completely owning the anti-gun myth sayers!

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by CommandoJoe

Allow me to comment on my portion of your response. I know everyone has a right to remain silent, and a right to oppose illegal searches. However, the man on he motorcycle was aggitating the situation, by not responding to a a simple question by the officer. Nobody is denying that man's right to carry a firearm, and that officer did not as well. His weapon was not seized, nor was he arrested. It was a rountine traffic stop, and it became much more. Now, we can go back and forth about could of, should of, would of? Hindsight is 20/20.

With all that happened in the course of the stop? I thought the officer responded well, because it happened in real-time. One false move by that officer could cost them their life. That is fact! If I was that officer out on the roadway alone, and I was making a stop? You could be damn sure I would ask if the person stopped is carrying a firearm. Conceal carry, or whatever. If you feel I have infringed on your rights? File a complaint and tell it too a judge. Just my opinion, and that is how I judge this situation. One thing is for certain, I would make every effort to finish my shift, and arrive home safely.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

Yeah, I definitely hear you on what your are saying about the Jews during the thirties and forties. Their experiences are something everyone should keep in the back of their minds. This whole thing is a slippery slope. I realize when given an inch they take a mile when comes to our rights and liberties. I am willing to conclude that both were right and both were wrong in how this whole situation transpired. I am glad no one got injured or killed as a result of it. No disagreement by me about your historical reference. Thanks for the reply!

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
For Everyone who says no own should own guns and let only law enforcement carry and military!

www.theblaze.com...

abcnews.go.com...

www.policemisconduct.net...

Shall I continue? I believe everyone has the rights to own guns. NOW, they should have a little stricter tests and paperwork, but that goes for COPS as well!
I knew great cops, some where my friends and NEVER would they have acted like such. Anybody has the right to be a prick, some cops use their right of this too.
DONT be a COP IF YOU ARE AFRAID OF OTHER PEOPLE WITH GUNS!

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wheresourights

I believe everyone has the rights to own guns. NOW, they should have a little stricter tests and paperwork, but that goes for COPS as well!

You mean lining up to 8 out of 10 shots into a door sized target at 25 yards twice a year doesnt instill a great confidence in the ability of our police personnel?

Cops, even feds, can be out shot any day of the week by the typical recreational shooter. Hysterical and sad fact.
edit on 29-9-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by Wheresourights

I believe everyone has the rights to own guns. NOW, they should have a little stricter tests and paperwork, but that goes for COPS as well!

You mean lining up to 8 out of 10 shots into a door sized target at 25 yards twice a year doesnt instill a great confidence in the ability of our police personnel?

Cops, even feds, can be out shot any day of the week by the typical recreational shooter. Hysterical and sad fact.
edit on 29-9-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

AGREED! To me , maybe not a hand gun, somehow ( havent had much practice) i cant aim for crap , but give me a riffle and I can knock a booger hanging out of a monkeys nose in Africa! LOL ...I always told my husband, if you are going to say something stupid while target practice make sure i have the glock in my hands and not a riffle!

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
The biggest point was that the officer handcuffed him, then later said he was being detained, without giving reason. I think that will be the thing that will lose any litigation involved in this. He was never charged with anything, there was no probable cause for the subsequent handcuffing and detention. Plus the officer looked into the wallet after being told the Vet did not consent to any searches then the officer started questions based on info he found with the illegal search. I get the officer was concerned for his safety, that doesn't allow him to run over the rights of someone. He could have waited for backup right from the start if he was that concerned.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by GBP/JPY

I don't deny civil rights and outright oppose police brutality, but I can understand why the officer here would feel his safety jeopardized: the motorcyclist was reported speeding past other cars and he has a gun. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to put 1 and 1 together and realize he may be unstable and willing to use deadly force. Is it too much to ask for the guy to have common courtesy, let the officer know hes armed, and disarm himself? The entire situation could have been avoided had he not tried to be a YouTube crusader of douchebag behavior.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Jakes51

In my mind this is really open shut...

Remember the cops words, when it comes to his safety, you have no rights.

That is a very dangerous statement to make. I can appreciate him being concerned with his safety, but even his safety does not trump the rights of an individual.

According to the Constitution, rights are granted to you by the Creator. Not the Government, not a Cop, not by any man or women. They are universal and are granted to us all by our Creator, whoever you believe that Creator to be.

So the Cop is wrong. My rights do not end where his safety begins.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
reply to post by usmc0311

First of all, I live in Wyoming.

It is Legal in Wyoming to open carry a firearm without a permit.

It is Legal in Wyoming to concealed carry a firearm without a permit as long as you are a resident.

These officers were in the wrong. However, the issue was remedied by their supervisors and the man was released.

He was never charged and never taken in because he did not do anything illegal.

First of all, I don't live in Wyoming.

These officers detained a citizen, against his will, while they (the officers) were armed. They were certainly willing to use their weapons, if he refused their commands. The issue, the unlawful detention was not address by their supervisor, and I'd be willing to bet these officers still feel they did nothing illegal here. That is the real issue,the illegal use of power and position, by those sworn to uphold the law.

If this had been reversed and the citizen detain the officer, and Intimidated him, it would not have ended when the officer was released. When justice, is not fair, when who you are makes a difference to the justice you receive there is no justice!

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by DestroyDestroyDestroy
reply to post by GBP/JPY

I don't deny civil rights and outright oppose police brutality, but I can understand why the officer here would feel his safety jeopardized: the motorcyclist was reported speeding past other cars and he has a gun. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to put 1 and 1 together and realize he may be unstable and willing to use deadly force. Is it too much to ask for the guy to have common courtesy, let the officer know hes armed, and disarm himself? The entire situation could have been avoided had he not tried to be a YouTube crusader of douchebag behavior.

Yes. It is too much to ask in this situation. Maybe you should be exposed to guns more, realize armed people are the same as unarmed people. Now give that armed person a badge and immunity to terrorize "assholes" (cop jargon for human being) thats dangerous.
Please everyone, police work is not a lethal weapon movie. They are enforcement of corporate whore laws.

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

Why should he disarm himself? He has the right to carry the gun. There is no law that states a legal gun carrying citizen needs to disarm themselves in the presence of a police officer. Besides, if he had tried to touch his gun in the presence of a police officer he would most likely be shot. Should officers have to disarm themselves before talking to civilians to make the civilians feel safe because that is where your logic is leading.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join