It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Documentary You MUST Watch!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Hello ATS, i have happened across this documentary titled "The Century of The Self." So far, i have only watched the first 58 minutes of the documentary earlier today, and i feel that ATS needs to see this. It describes Edward Bernay's role in shaping our society and political ideology of Democracy into what it is today. In other words, Edward Bernays (who applied Sigmund Freud's work) was fully responsible for the consumer mindset of today's societal norms.

He was employed from big businesses, to the President and the CIA over the course of his life...all for the use of what we can effectively call mind control.

Again, i have only watched the first bit, so don't be too harsh on me

Here it is:

edit on 27-9-2012 by daaskapital because: sp

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Someone put up a link to that in a thread a few days ago, and I watched the entire series.

It was terribly interesting!

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesma
Someone put up a link to that in a thread a few days ago, and I watched the entire series.

It was terribly interesting!

No kidding! I watched the first bit today in a psychology lecture. I never heard of it before today

It is extremely interesting...it blew my mind, even though i knew some of it...its hard to explain

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Just watched the opening/skipped around, trying to make sure I'm not about to re-watch 4 hours of it only to then realize that I've either seen it or seen parts from other videos (I'm a youtube documentary freak, and they're all overlapping these days haha)

The name sounded very familiar, and I still can't tell why.

Between this video and the last thread I was in about free will, and strengthening the Will, I think I am on a path of taking back my mind, and then... The WORLD!! Or at least just my mind.

Be back in awhile, when I've watched more.

EDIT:
Just got past the Let's make women smoke how do we do it? There is a taboo that men don't want to see women smoking. The cigaret is a penis, it is the symbol of man's power. "Let's make the women want to take over some male power of their own, then the women will have a penis too. Call it lighting torches of freedom. Then the men can't be against it, not with that frase..

This stuff is crazy.. I never thought about it this way.. I'd have to be a pychoanylist to even notice half the mind control..
Interesting.
edit on 9/27/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/27/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dustytoad
(I'm a youtube documentary freak,)

The fluoride deception? Thats where Ive heard the name.

Yep, I'm a youtube docu freak too

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

Adam Curtis (born 1955) is an English film maker. His best known work is The Century of the Self (2002), a film that explores consumerism and the Freud dynasty. He says, "My favorite theme is power and how it works in society".[1] He claims that his work is journalism that happens to be expounded upon through the medium of film.

I would recommend watching the complete collection of his as they're most insightful.

en.wikipedia.org...

The Power of Nightmares, subtitled The Rise of the Politics of Fear, is a BBC documentary film series, written and produced by Adam Curtis. Its three one-hour parts consist mostly of a montage of archive footage with Curtis's narration. The series was first broadcast in the United Kingdom in late 2004 and has subsequently been broadcast in multiple countries and shown in several film festivals, including the 2005 Cannes Film Festival.

en.wikipedia.org...

The Century of the Self is an award-winning British television documentary series by Adam Curtis. It focuses on how the work of Sigmund Freud, Anna Freud, and Edward Bernays influenced the way corporations and governments have analyzed,‭ dealt with, and controlled ‬people.[1]

en.wikipedia.org...(television_documentary_series)

The Trap: What Happened to Our Dream of Freedom is a BBC documentary series by English filmmaker Adam Curtis, well known for other documentaries including The Century of the Self and The Power of Nightmares. It began airing in the United Kingdom on BBC Two on 11 March 2007.[1]

The trap may be viewed here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

Originally posted by Dustytoad
(I'm a youtube documentary freak,)

The fluoride deception? Thats where Ive heard the name.

Yep, I'm a youtube docu freak too

Yes I have seen that one so maybe it was that..

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   

can you give me a short summary on who Sigmund Freud is? I went to a school in Lima Peru when i was little and that was the name of my school.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ValentinoG

can you give me a short summary on who Sigmund Freud is? I went to a school in Lima Peru when i was little and that was the name of my school.

Oh goodness! I've never met anyone who didn't know who Sigmund Freud was! I guess he must not have been such a big influence in Peru then!
He was the father of Psychoanalysis.

(From Wikipedia-)

Sigmund Freud; 6 May 1856 – 23 September 1939), born Sigismund Schlomo Freud, was an Austrian neurologist who became known as the founding father of psychoanalysis.

Freud's parents were poor, but they ensured his education. Interested in law as a student, he moved instead into medicine, undertaking research into cerebral palsy, aphasia and microscopic neuroanatomy. He went on to develop theories about the unconscious mind and the mechanism of repression, and established the field of verbal psychotherapy by creating psychoanalysis, a clinical method for treating psychopathology through dialogue between a patient (or "analysand") and a psychoanalyst.

Though psychoanalysis has declined as a therapeutic practice, it has helped inspire the development of many other forms of psychotherapy, some diverging from Freud's original ideas and approach.

Freud postulated the existence of libido (an energy with which mental process and structures are invested), developed therapeutic techniques such as the use of free association (in which patients report their thoughts without reservation and make no attempt to concentrate while doing so), discovered transference (the process by which patients displace on to their analysts feelings based on their experience of earlier figures in their lives) and established its central role in the analytic process, and proposed that dreams help to preserve sleep by representing as fulfilled wishes that would otherwise awake the dreamer.

He was also a prolific essayist, drawing on psychoanalysis to contribute to the interpretation and critique of culture.

Psychoanalysis remains influential within psychiatry and across the humanities, though some critics see it as pseudo-scientific and sexist, and a study in 2008 suggested it had been marginalized within university psychology departments.

Regardless of the scientific content of his theories, Freud's work has suffused intellectual thought and popular culture to the extent that in 1939 W. H. Auden wrote, in a poem dedicated to him: "to us he is no more a person / now but a whole climate of opinion / under whom we conduct our different lives ..."

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I remember this video. Very interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Most people are just too plain stupid to understand the implications exposed in this documentary.

Im guessing 90% to 95% of people on this site wont understand the severity of what being explained in this documentary.

Seen this years ago and its my "go to" video to wake people up.....if they are ready.

new topics

top topics

join