page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by repeatoffender

Originally posted by MrWendal
I am curious....

For all those who are bashing this Soldier, may I ask how many of you have been involved in Combat?

I do not mean paintball, I mean real combat. Vietnam? Gulf War? Anything?

If you have not been in combat, I think your opinion on how he handled the situation holds very little weight.

Oh come on man, I cant stand how you guys do this.

may I ask how many of you have been involved in Combat?

Really,Really, thats like getting into a debate with a baker and him cutting you off saying " dude have you ever worked as a real baker, or french patissiere, worked from midnight till dawn? NO DIDNT THINK SO, so eat the cream bun and shut up, your not entitled to an opinion on my product"

Oh, I get what you are saying to a point. I think everyone is entitled to their thoughts and opinions of the video. That being said, in a situation like combat, which is so visceral and overwhelming, it's hard for those that have been there to take the opinoin of someone who has not that seriously.

I have not been in combat, but grew up in a family of combat vets, and heard enough to make my hair stand on end.

Further then that, I was never active duty military, just in ROTC and Civil Air Patrol in college. I got dumped from ROTC for some eye problems during a physical after I volunteered for airborne school. That being said........ even I get irritated when people who have NO military knowledge except what they see on the news or in movies start making military comments.

It's ENTIRELY different. Just the physical exertion and exauhstion, aches and pains, and other discomfort one gets from sleeping in the rain, doing a 12 mile march with 75 plus pounds of rucksack, weapon and helmet, with wet clothes chafing you, not enough to eat in the previous 12, 24, 36, 48, 72 hours, while crawling through mud, or getting yelled at is enough to make most of the population of most western countries mentally come apart. I knew a couple of kids that dropped ROTC after the first weekend field exercise with the local national guard unit. And none of that includes getting shot at, getting seriously injured, watching friends get killed.

In fact, here is a home made video about the Civil Air Patrol's new career orientation course put on by the USAFs combat controller school. While good fun, most of the population would baulk at this stuff. Mind you these kids are 15 to 18. they probably could give a more informed opinion of the video then some of those here

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla
reply to post by Domo1

Watching the video, from a tactical standpoint, what was this guy thinking?

As one youtube comment put it, the guy is walking around like it's a paintball match, and I've seen plenty better tactical decisions made by 12 year children in paintball.

It's a bit embarrassing. When are girls going to be let into combat roles again?

Tons of respect for soldiering and all, but, from what I saw, this guy was just asking for it., and if he was intentionally drawing fire away, then what's with all the "I'm Hit!" drama?

Further, isn't soldiering training all about working and functioning as a team?

edit on 26-9-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

You are totally right! This guy had no idea what he was doing. We had a chance to see if there was a cliff side behind him and there wasn't. He had perfect ground he could cover behind him and gave him a chance to force the enemy to loose accuracy with further moving away. Instead he goes towards the enemy? He had no idea where they were, hence him just firing seraphically. We we went thru our combat training, we went up a hill like that with full gear on, in sand. At least this gentleman had rocks to brace his steps. My AFSC just got hit at Camp Bastion and we are not combat but we definitely can hold ourselves better than this unit. Highly disappointed in this video.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Wow, thats intense.

I always stand in wonderment that people actually do this. When you take up a gun and enter battle - you put yourself at death's doorstep. At any moment, a bullet could hit you, and that's it. That's the end of your life.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
reply to post by Druscilla

Sorry, but if you dont know what it feels like to take "fire", I don't know how your Opinion, can matter........

Its not a video game.

Just MHO.........

Well I do know what it feels like to be under fire, and I have to say this guy wasnt using his noggin.......Tho I commend him for trying to draw fire away, I wasnt seeing any reason for it here, no one was pinned down and there was no need for him to rush down that direction.......

Even at that he should have been moving laterally or back while engaging to draw fire, instead of down TOWARD the area he was engaging....

Did you catch how he was poppin his shots? This isnt effective.......

He also didnt seem to pick out his points to get to in advanced, and miraculously landed in a spot that gave him some cover......

The problem even there was it left him pinned down, and im sure it was up to the rest of his squad to take the threat out before he could be remove hmself from the situation........FURTHER forcing his squad to make up for his miscalculation under an already disadvantageous situation......

My 3 cents, from someone whose been there done that...........

Im just glad hes ok and no one was killed
edit on 27-9-2012 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
My old first Sargent would have beat this guy to death for what he did. Now not only is he hurt but more of his squad will have to expose themselves to potentially getting shot also trying to save his butt. What a moron.

CX

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
After all this bickering we'll probably find out it is CGI.

CX.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
His squad clearly trained on Battlefield 3, "Im hit, MEDIC", no response. "I need ammo" *wanders off*

The same goes for his tactics, running out of cover on his lonesome then rolling around screaming like a girl.

Hero? I dont think so somehow. Idiot more like.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Eyepro=eye protection. Protective ballistic goggles basically

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by AFewGoodWomen

That was crazy. How can you not say "Hero", when talking about this soldier?

This is what we do.
Semper Fi

Act like an idiot? If this is an example of Marine training now then they have seriously backed off on the training. Calling this idiot a hero is an insult to real heroes.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Soshh

Looks like she already does....front lines and everything. Always so easy for people to ridicule others from behind the safety of a monitor. I would love to see one of them plucked out of their easy chair, strapped down with 60+ lbs of ruck and gear, thrown into a firefight in a country they know nothing about, and see how they would actually react. Odds are...they would last all of about 30 seconds. Then others of their ilk could sit around and critique them. Disgusting.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

That made me laugh, thank you

I have problems sometimes with my vision and when I first clicked the video I thought I was looking at CGI rendering. Damn I needed a laugh....thank you again lol

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by KonquestAbySS
It's not how the situation was told, it was how the situation was seen....That leaving it a little more room for argument that maybe the decision to run down a steep slope when enemy fire is coming from the adjacent mountain side was reckless and uncalled for...That one stupid decision could of cost more lives.
edit on 27-9-2012 by KonquestAbySS because: (no reason given)

And yet your reply does not address my question does it?

Have you been in Combat?

I stand by what I said. I am not going to judge some Soldier actions in Combat when the fact is, I have never been in Combat.

It's called perspective. I been a DJ for 20 years, but just because you listen to music does not make you qualified to do my job or tell me how I should do my job. I have never been a doctor, but I watch a lot of medical shows on TV. Does that some how make me qualified to give medical advice? Of course not.

So the same logic holds true in this case. I have never been at war. I have been in combat. I am not going to sit here and judge the actions of someone who has.

So with that in mind, what makes you qualified to judge the actions of this Soldier?

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
So language warning.

I got a hit a total of 4 times. My helmet cam died and i made it down the mountain on my own. I was also hit in the side of my helmet and my eye pro was shot off of my face. A round struck the tube by my hand of the 203 grenade launcher which knocked it out of my hands. When I picked the rifle back up it was still functional but the grenade launcher tube had a nice sized 7.62 cal bullet hole in it and was rendered useless.

One time at work I took a late lunch to help out. I feel like a huge candy ass after watching this. Those rounds hitting close to him gave me a case of the clenchies. If you make your way to the article, read the first comment, I was thinking the same thing.

It really is impressive what someone will do for their comrades.

What is an eye pro?

Link

Oh and I didn't do a search and I'm not sorry if I posted in the wrong section. I still love you though mods.

Awesome post! Just a note. Marines do not like being called soldiers. Soldiers are Army. We are Marines and prefer being called Marines. Ooooh Rah Semper Fi.

RC
Cpl. USMC
OIF Veteran

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Hard to make judgements based on this tiny segment, but he was in a clear kill zone. how did he get there, and why was he wandering around fully standing, giving a nice juicy target. crouch crawl under fire when there is no where to duck behind.

Guy is lucky the tallys are not good shots, or no decent snipers in their ranks..he could have ended up far more leaky than he was.

But again, this is based on just what I seen, no clue what happened before or after. Props to the guy for going into indian country to begin with, but I don't see a "hero" here so much as a soldier Marine that made some errors...it happens, and hopefully a learning experience for him. Not sure how he would get an evac in the center of targetland, which means if he did screw up, he may have also endangered his team if they try to bring him out...again, I am sure I am just armchair general'ing this with only a sliver of military tactics, but this appears a lot of bumbling and stumbling verses the oiled machine of the us military.
edit on 27-9-2012 by SaturnFX because: respectful title

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Koreanphood
Awesome post! Just a note. Marines do not like being called soldiers. Soldiers are Army. We are Marines and prefer being called Marines. Ooooh Rah Semper Fi.

RC
Cpl. USMC
OIF Veteran

Question, should marines even be in the sandbox? they are meant for beachhead grabbing and such..thought its the army to go fight the indians deep inland...
Marines are a branch of the navy..not even fully sure why they are there if departments are to remain pure in mission.

Has this changed, or are modern warfares redefining roles?

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

Originally posted by AFewGoodWomen

That was crazy. How can you not say "Hero", when talking about this soldier?

This is what we do.
Semper Fi

Act like an idiot? If this is an example of Marine training now then they have seriously backed off on the training. Calling this idiot a hero is an insult to real heroes.

Wouldn't call him idiot nor hero. There is no understanding of context. There was some dumb decisions, but I don't know the mindset he was in. Military training is meant to keep you frosty even under heavy fire..especially under heavy fire, but this guy was doing some seriously rookie mistakes.

But, if it was me (no training), I would probably be making tons of mistakes, including the occasional schoolgirl scream when bullets are pinging next to me. However, this probably isn't the guys first trip in the red zone, so ya..not seeing a hero, but not going to auto-call him a idiot either...Experience can be one hell of a teacher though, bet he won't be making the same mistakes again.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by Koreanphood

RC
Cpl. USMC
OIF Veteran

Question, should marines even be in the sandbox? they are meant for beachhead grabbing and such..thought its the army to go fight the indians deep inland...
Marines are a branch of the navy..not even fully sure why they are there if departments are to remain pure in mission.

Has this changed, or are modern warfares redefining roles?

While traditionally you are right about the Marines, we have been living in the world of "JOINT" warfare for more than 2 decades, where all the services "JOINTLY" work together to acheive common goals. Up until (and even during to a degree) the late 80's...each service trained, prepared, and equipped to fight their own portion of a war. The largest example, In WWII, the US ARMY basicly took care of Europe, and the US Navy pretty much took the Pacific. Oh there was forces from each in all theaters, but for the most part each theater was a particular show for that service.

Now they work under "JOINT" commands, with each service partitioning out forces to that particular command. In many cases today you have many service personal from different services intermixed at even the operational unit levels.
edit on 27-9-2012 by SrWingCommander because: clarification

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Honestly, we shouldn't be in Afghanistan and we should have never Invaded Iraq. I was thinking about it and spoke with some Afghans. Most of them, the foot soldiers, are fighting because we are occupying their country. That is all that they know. Were there causing chaos and blowing stuff up. Majority of them do not know what what happened on 9/11. Put yourself in their shoes. If Russia came and took over the US, I'm sure we have a rebellion force to fight off the Russians until they left.

Also, U.S. Marines make up 8-9% of the whole United States Military. The remainder is Army, Navy, Coast Guard, and Air Force. We are usually the first to go and the last to leave in most cases. We do everything "From the Air on Land and Sea." That's part of the Marine Corps hymn. LOL. I know it's defiantly a lot different now considering how technology has evolved. We go further inland than just beach landings now.

If you read some of the Marine Corps history it's very interesting. You should take a look.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal
I am curious....

For all those who are bashing this Soldier, may I ask how many of you have been involved in Combat?

I do not mean paintball, I mean real combat. Vietnam? Gulf War? Anything?

If you have not been in combat, I think your opinion on how he handled the situation holds very little weight.

I came in here to post this.

Really now people playing paintball or call for duty doesnt give you insight into what to do in a gun battle. Come back down to reality please.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
From what I saw in the video the guy is either "green", has a bit of a hero complex or isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. The enemy had him zeroed in pretty good so his response is to stand up and walk across an open area making him massively easier to hit. I thought it was training 101 that you hit the dirt when the bullets start flying and you don't know where they're coming from.

His tactic was a bit questionable as well. Fair enough you're trying to draw fire away so your team can escape...but why move DOWN the hill TOWARDS where the enemy gunfire is coming from? The only thing he ended up achieving was putting his squad in even more danger because now someone has to come down and get him...in the time it takes for someone to come down the hill, the enemy could easily russle up an RPG to take out his fairly open position and the medic that went down to help him...don't even need to hit him square on, there's plenty of rocks & rubble around him that would turn into bullets if anything exploded close by.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join