It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Soldier Intentionally Exposes His Position to Draw Fire Away From Squad VID

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
So language warning.

I got a hit a total of 4 times. My helmet cam died and i made it down the mountain on my own. I was also hit in the side of my helmet and my eye pro was shot off of my face. A round struck the tube by my hand of the 203 grenade launcher which knocked it out of my hands. When I picked the rifle back up it was still functional but the grenade launcher tube had a nice sized 7.62 cal bullet hole in it and was rendered useless.

One time at work I took a late lunch to help out. I feel like a huge candy ass after watching this. Those rounds hitting close to him gave me a case of the clenchies. If you make your way to the article, read the first comment, I was thinking the same thing.

It really is impressive what someone will do for their comrades.

What is an eye pro?

Link

Oh and I didn't do a search and I'm not sorry if I posted in the wrong section. I still love you though mods.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Eye Pro is the name of the ballistic glasses that you see soldiers wearing all the time in Afghanistan.

www.esseyepro.com...
edit on 9/26/2012 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/26/2012 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Ah eye see. I suppose I should have just Googled that but my fingers, they are lazy.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

That was crazy. How can you not say "Hero", when talking about this soldier?

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Watching the video, from a tactical standpoint, what was this guy thinking?

As one youtube comment put it, the guy is walking around like it's a paintball match, and I've seen plenty better tactical decisions made by 12 year children in paintball.

It's a bit embarrassing. When are girls going to be let into combat roles again?

Tons of respect for soldiering and all, but, from what I saw, this guy was just asking for it., and if he was intentionally drawing fire away, then what's with all the "I'm Hit!" drama?

Further, isn't soldiering training all about working and functioning as a team?

edit on 26-9-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla
reply to post by Domo1

Watching the video, from a tactical standpoint, what was this guy thinking?

As one youtube comment put it, the guy is walking around like it's a paintball match.

Tons of respect for soldiering and all, but, what what I saw, this guy was just asking for it., and if he was intentionally drawing fire away, then what's with all the "I'm Hit!" drama?

Further, isn't soldiering training all about working and functioning as a team?

Even in a paintball match i'd have more awareness and tact.
I noticed at like 5 seconds in some brush and a rock that would make decent cover if you were prone, face towards the shots, it had the right angle but I guess in the heat of the moment this guy thought what he was doing was right.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

I think you do things, out of the Norm, when being fired upon. No amount of training can give you real life weapons fire, especially when its directed at you. Depending on where he was hit, shock, etc........... People do the damnedest things. I saw a guy take buckshot, close range, and still bear his weapon, on the shooters, regardless of pain. A minute later, he was going into full shock. That was on the Streets of my city.
edit on 26-9-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

The man probably had some crazy stuff going through his head at the time. He was looking out for his team so they could continue the mission even at the cost of himself. There is no I in team but there is m and e and its all about ME. Give the man a break he is over there fighting for you so u can sit on your computer and make remarks about him.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ed1320

The whole drawing fire thing doesn't make sense either.

Does 'no man left behind' sound familiar?

This guy runs off to try pretending to play hero, and now his mates have to expose themselves to go hold his hand while he rolls around squealing.

A wounded soldier takes 3 soldiers out of the fight. The one that got hit + the 2 buddies that have to drag him out of harm's way and slap some band aids onto him.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Have to say it was a bit foolish on his part. Why would you go that far from your team while under fire. And do so as nonchalantly as he did. I have to ask how long he's been in combat. I would have to guess either not very long or long enough he just doesn't care anymore.

Originally posted by ed1320
Give the man a break he is over there fighting for you so u can sit on your computer and make remarks about him.

No, he isn't.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

A wounded soldier takes 3 soldiers out of the fight. The one that got hit + the 2 buddies that have to drag him out of harm's way and slap some band aids onto him.

Hmmmm.......

I have to say, you were not there. Second? Have you ever been shot, or have done the shooting? I only ask, because if you havnt, you would know getting shot requires MORE then band-aids..............

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

The video camera put us ALL there, so, pretty much anyone and everyone that wants to have a say based on the video, opinion is equal.

You may wish to bone-up on slang, or recognition of slang and colloquial use of terminology.
Giving someone the "band aid" typically involves more than band aides.

Just say'n.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ed1320
Give the man a break he is over there fighting for you so u can sit on your computer and make remarks about him.

Originally posted by Simon_Boudreaux
No, he isn't.

So your NOT making remarks about him?

Um....OK.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Sorry, but if you dont know what it feels like to take "fire", I don't know how your Opinion, can matter........

Its not a video game.

Just MHO.........

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Did I say I wasn't making remarks about him? No.

No, he isn't refers to him being there fighting for us.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Basically the squad went over the hill the opposite direction you ran, and now they can't hear you....Talk about combat zone planning, the move wasn't properly planned nor executed as planned. Hope all is well...

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   

I actually think you have a good point. Perhaps he was being foolish. I don't really know the entire situation though and have never been in combat on account of my general wussery. I still think it's a cool piece of footage though, and am giving him the benefit of the doubt.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Simon_Boudreaux

Thanks for pointing that out for me............

Peace.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Its not a video game.

This is something to remember. Also consider that we only have one angle of the firefight.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Sure, he may have drawn fire and put himself out in the open to be shot at – thus protecting his comrades.

Good on him if he wants to die like that, but he is no hero in my book because I blame the training and the mindset that he believes his life is worthless or his government’s lies are something he should die for.

What is the US government and its military protecting whilst he dies for his mates, the drug trade? The rape of natural resources? It’s defiantly not protecting freedom, educating or liberating the people of that country at all.

Mickierocksman

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join