It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In U.N. Speech, Assange Demands U.S. End Persecution of WikiLeaks and Bradley Manning

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   

In U.N. Speech, Assange Demands U.S. End Persecution of WikiLeaks and Bradley Manning

www.wired.com

n a rambling speech to a United Nations panel on Tuesday, WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange called on the U.S. to stop “persecuting” WikiLeaks and alleged leaker Bradley Manning.

Speaking at the United Nations General Assembly in New York via a live video feed from the Ecuadorean embassy in London, Assange aligned himself with Manning, discussing the soldier at length for the first time in many months, and referred to the “absurdist neo-McCarthyist fervor” that exists in some parts of the U.S. administration that insist on referring to WikiLeaks as an “enemy” of the state.

Ass
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Well here ya go, I haven't seen him on the radar for a few weeks. Seems he wanted to wade in with a few off topic blows........good on him.

Assange was speaking from the Ecuadorean embassy, where he has been holed up since June 19 when he sought asylum from Ecuador to avoid being extradited to Sweden where he’s wanted for questioning in a sex-crimes case. Assange could not travel to New York to address the U.N. in person because he has a warrant out for his arrest for breach of bail if he leaves the Ecuadorean embassy.

I personally feel it's only a matter of time before something happens to this chap? I hope it's a form of freedom but I highly doubt it.
“If Julian Assange were not Julian Assange, he would have a very good case for political asylum in the United States for the activities he undertook,” Azmy said. “Of course, he is public enemy number one and a so-called enemy of the state and is therefore unlikely to get a fair trial” should he be extradited to the U.S.

www.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 26-9-2012 by CaptainBeno because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-9-2012 by CaptainBeno because: spelling and pic added

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Anyone else notice that he wasn't as composed as he normally is?
I wonder whats got him so nervous. It can't be what we already know that stuff doesn't seem to phase him.
Hmmmmmm

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

Here's the video of his speech brought to you by RT News,

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Thanks Mate

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Bixxi3

Yes, he does seem abnormally rushed unlike his normal composure? Perhaps this is a "chess move". Perhaps there were plans afoot to make his life a misery, perhaps giving him a nice wake-up call at 3.30 am accompanied by Mr Gloc? Who knows, but he does appear different in some way?

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
It was a good speech, he could have said more…… he was either not composed because of the audience, time constraints or because the US has admitted he is “an enemy to be dealt with under the laws of war, which could include killing, capturing, detaining without trial, etc" so that would make me a little jittery.

He is correct of course; the US blubberment, its war crimes and unethical dealings have been exposed to the world (as they should be) and further whistleblowing should continue as all governments should be accountable to the people with no secrets and no lies.

The only way to stop the biggest terrorists in the world (the US government) is to expose what they do.

Assange & Manning are hero’s – the UK should give Assange safe passage to Ecuador.

The Australian government should be ashamed.

Mickierocksman

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

Why hasn't Assange released ALL the files, he has? While Manning rots, this Guy has the Audacity to make Demands?

Right or Wrong on Manning, This guy is a piece of Work, who can really care less, about Manning.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

You know, I have been wondering the same thing? Why hasn't he released them? Would that single him out for a bullet other than just being a pain? My guess he has a lot, a lot of info on a lot of things. Things that really can't be said....so to speak. My guess this is why he has been cocky in the past (and free). But now, well, it doesn't matter if he has it or not it looks like the US has a itchy trigger finger and as it has been stated, this has got him nervous.

Assange will have to step up his public profile further in order to advertise himself a) as alive and b) still in the game as if he allowed to "disappear" into obscurity he will "have an accident" for sure.

Assange: It's time to spill or for your sake, just even hint.
edit on 26-9-2012 by CaptainBeno because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Assange did point to UN Special Rapporteur on Torture finding that Manning's treatment by the US Military constitutes violation of human rights.

20+ hours naked daily for "suicide by clothes fear", US stonewalled him from contacts to Manning.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by wujotvowujotvowujotvo

Ok.

But what does that have to do with the INFORMATION he has, and WHY he isnt releasing it?

Isn't Manning Rotting in a Jail, for that Information?

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Bradley Manning release of Collateral Murder exposed US violation through loopholes of Geneva Convention, and showed what it really thinks of employees from Thomson Reuters news agency.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainBeno

www.wired.com

discussing the soldier at length for the first time in many months, and referred to the “absurdist neo-McCarthyist fervor” that exists in some parts of the U.S. administration that insist on referring to WikiLeaks as an “enemy” of the state.

Assange needs a history lesson. McCarthy was proven right. So pretty much Assange just said he's the bad guy afterall.
edit on 27-9-2012 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
What an amazing human being! He has darkness under his eyes which to me suggest sleepless nights - no doubt spent thinking and worrying about his family and Bradley Manning and others who are enmeshed in his journey.

His eyes were to the camera addressing interested people by looking them in the eye instead of just reading from his notes without looking up. I can't help but think of the teleprompters and 'spin' doctors who prop up all the politicians.

I saw a man with passion and Spiritual strength - a man who wants freedom - freedom of speech & expression - for his Children and for all people everywhere. He performs beautifully under pressure. It was obvious he was in a small room at a small desk and confined to a tight camera shot. Every now and then he looked to his right and I imagine a producer/director or related person was given him a time signal.

When I compare the world leaders in their expensive suits - teleprompters - 'spin' doctors and retinue of support - all while they have the freedom to move around the planet and I look at Julian Assange - all I can see is one strong and determined and stylish warrior. More power to him and his. He is a hero.

Much Peace...

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amanda5
What an amazing human being! He has darkness under his eyes which to me suggest sleepless nights - no doubt spent thinking and worrying about his family and Bradley Manning and others who are enmeshed in his journey.

Or worrying about poor megalomaniac Julian Assange, who finds himself trapped in a box of his own creation...trying to avoid incarceration for his (alleged) sexual crimes...and by doing do so, has now probably spent more time confined in mansions and consulates, than he would have spent behind bars if he had been convicted in Sweden.

As Homer would say..."Doh!"

I saw a man with passion and Spiritual strength - a man who wants freedom - freedom of speech & expression - for his Children and for all people everywhere. He performs beautifully under pressure. It was obvious he was in a small room at a small desk and confined to a tight camera shot. Every now and then he looked to his right and I imagine a producer/director or related person was given him a time signal.

I saw a man who wants freedom for himself...freedom to profit from the publishing of stolen videos and classified documents...freedom to sexually assault women as he chooses, without fear of repercussion....freedom to break the laws of his choosing while hiding behind "declarations" for his own self preservation.

I see a squirmy little worm of a man, who finally realizes that he is not bigger than the law...who realizes that he has two choices, face his accusers in a Swedish court of law (who knows, he may be innocent !), or face a self-imposed life-sentence in his "small room at a small desk" in London.

You are not a martyr Mr. Assange...you are an international fugitive, wanted for questioning in connection with two sexual misconduct cases.

When I compare the world leaders in their expensive suits - teleprompters - 'spin' doctors and retinue of support - all while they have the freedom to move around the planet and I look at Julian Assange - all I can see is one strong and determined and stylish warrior. More power to him and his. He is a hero.

Stylish warrior...how poetic. I am sure this is how he sees himself too. He is no hero to me. He is a professional information thief (former "hacker") and trafficker (Wikileaks), with delusions of grandeur (his ego fed daily by fawning fans such as yourself), who could never get on with girls until after he became famous and "powerful" - and then (as many men of power do) felt he could anything he wanted with women who were lured in by his aura.

Oops...sorry Julian...when in Sweden, do as the Swedish do. Unwanted unprotected sex under Swedish law is...rape. You don't have to agree with the law...nobody really cares if you do...you just have to follow it like everybody else.

You are accused of...rape...in Sweden.

But congrats on sucking so many people along on your fantasy tour...making it all about America, and England, and Human Rights, and Freedom of Speech, and Torture, and Persecution, and evil Governments...pertaining to your other crimes.

You are no hero, Julian. You are simply a con man...and like all com men, and assorted similar cult leaders, you have loyal followers who think the sun shines out of...somewhere unpleasant.

I have not fallen under your spell, sorry.

Rape is rape. Jail is jail...whether ones built by Governments - or ones built by your own fitful attempts to avoid justice for your misdeeds.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by mobiusmale

Rape is rape.

Excuse me?
You are saying having sex with a willing, friendly participant and a condom splitting is brutal and violent forced penetration, humiliation and terrorisation of a total stranger?
Rape is rape? WTF?!

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Bradley Manning took an oath and signed an NDA. He violated both and severely hurt US relations around the world as well as hampering operations that were active when he released the information to Wikileaks. He should be prosecuted and jailed for the maximum amount of time possible.

Wikileaks itself should be left alone as well as Julian Assuage. Publishing classified material is not a crime unless you are the caretaker of that information as Manning was.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Just playing Devils advocate here, if this happened to be a Russian Spy or a Chinese spy who realeased US secrets, would you advocate an American prosecution if they did indeed get the said spy in a US court? I do not see what Assange has done to be any different to this. Assange should be locked up in an American Prison.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
Just playing Devils advocate here, if this happened to be a Russian Spy or a Chinese spy who realeased US secrets, would you advocate an American prosecution if they did indeed get the said spy in a US court? I do not see what Assange has done to be any different to this. Assange should be locked up in an American Prison.

Assange didn't steal any secrets. He published them. Bradley Manning stile those secrets and he should be exactly where he is.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I never said he did steal them, but by releasing them to the public that makes him just as culpable as the one who did steal them.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join