It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mitt Romney's 47 Percent Remark Hurts Him In Swing States

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Mitt Romney's 47 Percent Remark Hurts Him In Swing States

A new wave of polls offer a closer look at the political aftermath of Mitt Romney's comments on the "47 percent," with an overwhelming number of voters responding that they both knew of the now-infamous video of Romney at a private fundraiser and viewed him less favorably as a result. The Republican presidential nominee has been widely criticized for saying that nearly half of Americans back President Barack Obama because they are government-dependent "victims" who believe they are "entitled" to health care, food and housing.

I have been waiting for this weeks polling to see how much damage Romney's 47% comments there was going to be. Well the polls are out, and the results appear to be devestating.

Voters have a mostly negative reaction toward the 47-percent comments at a time when the president appears to be widening his lead across swing states. The latest findings are also consistent with other national surveys taken in the days immediately after the video was widely reported, but paint a more troubling picture of the impact those remarks may have had on Romney's standing with independent voters.

On a national scale, 54 percent of registered voters viewed Romney’s comments unfavorably, while only 33 percent saw them in a favorable light, according to a Washington Post/ABC News poll released Wednesday. Fifty-seven percent of independents had a negative reaction.

There is also polling from individual swing states, none of it good news for Romney.

In Florida, where Obama and Romney have mostly been locked in a dead heat, 89 percent of voters said they were familiar with the GOP nominee's comments, and 50 percent said they considered the comments inappropriate versus 44 percent who did not. Independent voters found the comments improper by a margin of 58 to 37 percent.

The PPP poll in Colorado showed the president now holding a 6-point advantage over his opponent. Again, Romney's 47-percent comments appear to have had an impact: A staggering 90 percent of respondents said they were familiar with the incident, and just over half found the remarks improper. Among independents, 37 percent said the secretly recorded video made them less likely to vote for Romney, who trails Obama 51 to 41 percent in that group.

But it's in Wisconsin that the biggest shift occurred, with Obama up 7 points -- his largest lead there in a PPP poll since February. Although the president carried Wisconsin by 14 points in 2008, the Badger State is expected to be significantly closer this cycle in light of hometown Rep. Paul Ryan's selection as the Republican vice presidential nominee.

This is horrible news for Romney. This may just be the thing that tanks his campaign. Obama is up Nationally since last week, he is up in Ohio big, up in Florida by the biggest margin either have had, up in Wisconsin, up in Iowa, up in Colorada, up in Pennsylvania. RCP has now given Obama Ohio as "leaning Obama" bringing his estimated electoral vote total to 265, that is 5 short of the 270 needed to win.

This 47% comment has really really hurt Romney. Wouldn't it be poetic if Romney ends up only getting 47% of the vote?

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Just goes to show....the sheeple in this country cannot handle the truth.

+11 more 
posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

What truth is that?

The "truth" that disabled veterans that recieve government benefits are entitled victims? The "truth" that the elderly that rely on SS and Medicare that they have paid into their entire lives are dependent on the government and can't be convinced to take responsibility for themselves?

Is that the "truth" you are speaking of?

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Good to see people are waking up to republican lies.

Maybe demos can take back congress as well.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Wouldn't they have to be told the truth first. Because Romney has come no where close to telling the truth.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I'm just glad that guy was there to film it.

If it wasn't for him, we little people would have no idea.

And they say one person can't make a difference. Always hated that saying.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

Good to see people are waking up to republican lies.

Maybe demos can take back congress as well.

This election will probably be a clean sweep for the Dems. Too many Republican nutcases have been running off at the mouth. Not to mention blocking every jobs bill Obama has brought up doesn't help either.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I don't think it was the 47% statement. It was when he tied the dog to the top of his car for a 12 hr trip to Canada; then he tried to make light of it and said the dog liked it. Only a moron would believe that story; Romney doesn't know how a dog thinks. And apparently he isn't doing very well with the American electorate as he is droping in the polls rapidly.

www.realclearpolitics.com...

edit on 26-9-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by HostileApostle

This guy , Romney is a joke on 2 legs.

He wants planes to have Roll Down Windows, because in a Plane Flight, His wifes plane filled with Smoke, and they couldn`t roll down the windows to clear the Air...

This Guy is going to Lead the Most dangerous fighting force on the Planet . ..
:lol www.huffingtonpost.com...
edit on 26-9-2012 by Tw0Sides because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Those that were unable to handle the truth that Romney is out of touch with anything outside his elite conservative circle will continue to vote for him. The rest of us will switch our votes to someone else.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

I dont want to sound racist but maybe someone should post the video of the black people celebrating after BHOs election and saying that they were then going to get a free handout from the government (remember the one where the reporter asked "where do you think the money will come from?" and she replies, "I dunno, maybe his stash." Romney is probably a compassionate christian but probably also has a distain for people on the public dole who are multi-generational dependents on the federal government. His comments however where spoken from the frame of reference of a political campaign that those people wont vote for him anyway so (political strategy wise) he cant worry about them (or worrying about how to persuade them to vote for him). I think that his comments taken out of context and coupled with his wealth is hurting him among blue collar voters.

edit on 26-9-2012 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
the truth that humans aren't entitled to food, house and a doctor if they get sick.

i wonder why people don't like they guy.

he creates jobs; to bad he creates them in china, malaysia and taiwan.

he loves america so much he keeps his money in the cayman islands. creating jobs and keeping people employed yet in another foreign country.

he believes you're victim if you can't afford healthcare or your dinner was mac and cheese because that's all you can afford that day.

well with that i agree. you are a victim; of people like romney's greed, arrogance, bigotry, ignorance and loathing.

he thinks if he made it why can't you. that's how clueless he is.

edit on 26-9-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Yes I think that studies will prove that 47% of people loathe being called "Government dolers"

UH DUH!

Good Lord his stupidity is unabashing.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by cconn487
I'm just glad that guy was there to film it.

If it wasn't for him, we little people would have no idea.

And they say one person can't make a difference. Always hated that saying.

I'm wondering how many more videos are going to surface of Romney saying things he thinks won't make it out to us common folk.

It seems like Romney has this idea that he can say whatever he wants at these fundraiser events and thinks no one will ever hear about them.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
My older neighbors were "on the fence" as regards who to vote for. On the day the 47% video was released, they made their decision. (They are living on THEIR Social Security and depend on Medicare for their health care.)

At the gym the next day, I overheard some older men talking about how they'd made up their minds - they joked around about how they were the 47%. "Moochers", they joked.

So, I have NO doubt that this recording will be what brings Romney down. His "truth" from his mouth. And yes, the people can't handle his "truth".

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

What is mind boggling is that the Right has seemed to try to run with that comment. You have everyone from Hannity to Limbaugh (and even some on this thread), claiming that what Romney said is the "truth".

What has happened is that Romney let the cat out of the bag, and the Right could either denounce Romney or admit that this is in fact what they truly believe. They decided to go with admitting to what they truly believe, and now I think a lot of right leaning people are scratching their heads and wondering why they support these people when they look at them like they are low class government free loaders.

All I can think is, what will Romney say/do next?

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   

The Hannity's and Linbaughs of the country cannot stand to see what the inevitable truth is. The country is changing. People are becoming more tolerant, more understanding and less hate filled. It rattles their lofty positions that have been clung to by propagating ignorance and division.

I believe in freedom and fairness. I believe the Gov should get out of people's way to earn a living...but I do not want to see someone suffer and go hungry...so I am prepared to do what I can to help make sure that doesn't happen or happens as little as possible.

The Repubs cannot come to grips with the idea that combined social AND fiscal conservatism is dieing on the vine. Some of us out here do still believe in fiscal conservatism and responsibility, but that is balanced against social freedom. People should be free to live in whatever way that makes them happy so long as their freedom does not infringe upon mine.

Romney's 47% comment showed a couple things to the people...
1) He will say anything depending on who he is speaking to. He appears to have no firm stance on anything.
2) He is completely out of touch with "average" citizens and has no clue what an average day is like for millions of people.

And there is always this apparent view that is flat scary from a guy that wants to lead the most powerful military on earth:

edit on 9/27/2012 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

And that is the truth.

The press looks at only those that paied into the system as the total and ones that were harmed by Mitts coments. Many that are on SSI ect are still voting for Mitt anyway.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
It was his undoing, the instant that video went viral.

How can he expect anything good to come from insulting half of the American people, w/ an incorrect stereotype about being lazy. The guy looks more like Mr. Burns everyday, and anyone who defends him at this point is seriously deluded.
None of the anti American voter restrictions will help you now, Mitt. You ruined it for yourself by just being yourself.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by HostileApostle
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

What is mind boggling is that the Right has seemed to try to run with that comment. You have everyone from Hannity to Limbaugh (and even some on this thread), claiming that what Romney said is the "truth".

What has happened is that Romney let the cat out of the bag, and the Right could either denounce Romney or admit that this is in fact what they truly believe.

Folks talk about being out of touch with the real world. I live down here in the real world and yea I see folks use the system and have seen it for years now. A lot of truth to the harp that folks that really need it cant get any. And there is no cat out of the bag. Folks have been saying this for years. If there is no argeement on the nature of the 47% and that is a high number, then fine. But its nothing new.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join