It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amateur Astronomer Maps Jupiter’s Moon Ganymede in Amazing Detail

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Using little more than a backyard telescope and his experience observing the night sky, amateur astronomer Emmanuel Kardasis has produced a detailed map of Jupiter’s largest moon Ganymede.

“Ganymede was a fascinating target for me,” said Kardasis, who will present his work at the European Planetary Science Congress in Madrid on Sept. 27, adding that he wanted to go after a very small target in order to test the limits of his abilities.

Though Ganymede is the biggest moon in the solar system — larger in fact than the planet Mercury — and can be seen in the night sky with a simple pair of binoculars, it still appears as just a tiny speck of light next to the much larger Jupiter.

www.wired.com...

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

Does Jupiter usually have those dark maroon lesion-like markings in the bands?

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
awesome work!

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Soloro

Yep, it sure does. As far as i'm aware they are gas and debris. They are gases that are "eddying" bit like a vortex of an aircraft wing. They constantly rotate in place due to other surrounding gasses doing the same thing. Plus the bands you see are rotating in different directions.....I think
Someone else may want to help me here??

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Can someone help me understand this image?:

I understand the top row of images are from Emmanuel "Manos" Kardasis -- the amateur astronomer mentioned in the article. The second row (the sharper images) are labeled as "WinJupos Simulation".

What exactly is the source of those sharper images. What is a "WinJupos Simulation"?

Thanks in advance

EDIT TO ADD:
I've learned that "JUPOS" is a database tool for amateur astronomers who like to study Jupiter -- but that's about all I know. There are amateur astronomers who are members here on ATS, such as 'ngchunter', and I was hoping one of them could help answer my question.

edit on 9/27/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

From what I understand from the article, the hi-res imagery is from NASA’s Voyager and Galileo spacecrafts.
solarsystem.nasa.gov...

WinJupos lays it out as a flat map.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

Just Amazing!

Its incredible what amateur people can do now with time and effort.......

Now........too all you Second Sun people and Nibiru.........tell me that we wouldnt know about it with people out there like this watching the night sky.........

new topics

top topics

join