It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neil deGrasse Tyson with Stephen Fry, I Think For Myself

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I think for my self.

"Why did it take so long for science to gain hold of our way understanding the natural world, it must be because our brains are not wired scientifically, else it would be the first way we ever imagined to understand the word, else we would no have invented goblins, demons and gods.

I don't even care if someone wants to say you don't understand that, god did it. That doesn't even bother me.

What would bother me is if you are content with that answer to the extent that you loose your curiosity to learn how it happened. The day you stop looking, because you are content god did it, I don't need you int he the lab. You are useless on the frontier of understanding the nature of the world.

I'm glad whoever those folks are that there are not that many of them. Because if they dominated the word we would still be in the cave. We would have never left it. Because there are mysterious things out there, and if god is doing that, and you don't need to know that. Where would we be if that type of mindset ruled to world?

The only 'ist' I am is a scientist. I don't associate with movements. I'm not an ism. I think for myself. When you conduct science, it is the natural world that is the ultimate decider of what is true or not.

Science is a relatively late conduct, of cultures and of the human mind.
Science is something to be proud of.
It allows us to understand the world in spite of ourselves. "

Good video, resonates a lot with me

Hope you enjoy it.
edit on 26-9-2012 by ZeuZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this OP, I love the way Neil deGrasse Tyson thinks/speaks....but I think he answer his own question indirectly;

Question;

"Why did it take so long for science to gain hold of our way understanding the natural world...

Answer;

Because if they dominated the word we would still be in the cave. We would have never left it. Because there are mysterious things out there, and if god is doing that, and you don't need to know that. Where would we be if that type of mindset ruled to world?

Religion has suppressed and limited scientific discoveries since it's inception

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Tyson could be occupying the same brain cells as me on this topic.

I have made this point in several of the anti-science threads here on ATS: it is perfectly OK to believe that "God did it". I don't mind. But if that is where you stop, if that is all you need to know, then get out of the way for those of us who want to study the beauty of 'God's creation'.

You are missing out on the vast majority of "God's Work", and, specifically denying one of Its very first commands - to take dominion over Its creation, and that is your problem, but don't make it everyone else's problem.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by rnaa
Tyson could be occupying the same brain cells as me on this topic.

I have made this point in several of the anti-science threads here on ATS: it is perfectly OK to believe that "God did it". I don't mind. But if that is where you stop, if that is all you need to know, then get out of the way for those of us who want to study the beauty of 'God's creation'.

You are missing out on the vast majority of "God's Work", and, specifically denying one of Its very first commands - to take dominion over Its creation, and that is your problem, but don't make it everyone else's problem.

Amen.

That's why I posted it, I swear half the things Tyson says are like he's using my same brains cells, too.

He's like Carl Sagan 2.0

new topics

top topics

join