It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Iran to halt 20-pct uranium enrichment if West's sanctions lifted

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

Anyone who believes ANYTHING that comes out of Iran like this is delusional.

As opposed to anything coming out of DC or Tel Aviv?

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

Originally posted by cconn487
Hahahaha! What is Netanyahu going to do? Lets see if he lets it go, or if he just wants a situation bad enough to make itself available to show who has the biggest ego in the region.

He said Iran must COMPLETELY disband their Nuclear Programme.

Oh how I wish the US had such coaching in 1945.

I bet we wouldn't even be having this discussion right now.

Instead we weaponize the technology, and have the fear of nuclear annihilation hanging over our heads throughout our entire lives.

We did it first so we get to decide who has access to them. Though by doing this we are keeping potentially brilliant minds stuck decades in the past technologically based on which country they are born in.

That breakthrough cure for cancer, or any myriad of better and safer technology could be decades off because we can't put our big guns down.

So sad total nuclear disarmament is a pipe dream. We could do so much better than we have been in the past half century.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I bet that will go over as well as when Bill Clinton made a financial aid deal with the N. Koreans in exchange for the halting of their nuclear weapons program.........Well, we all know how that deal turned out

Typical and predictable behavior by a naive sitting Democratic president

edit on 26-9-2012 by radpetey because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
When Obama was running for POTUS he made several mentions of needing to open a dialogue with Iran, to seek common ground and all the other buzz phrases that make people feel all warm and tingly. When he did, the hawks on the right came down hard on him for (((shudder)))) even considering talking to the great Persian Satan. We heard all manner of reasons for why it would be wrong, and all of them utterly stupid (the worst, that it would "legitimize the iranian government", as if they need our legitimization).

Yet, since his election, this has been yet another broken promise. I am a full on supporter of engaging Iran and acting in a friendly manner. It was one of the few things I actually had "hoped" would "change". Almost 4 years later, and Obama once again has a chance to step up to the plate. And given his warning to Iran that he would do what is "necessary", I would posit that fulfilling that particular campaign promise is absolutely necessary.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Saw the title and thought Oh Reallyyy
ummm yeah,.. keep your eye on this hand over here...

edit on 26-9-2012 by Lil Drummerboy because: mmm

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by sylent6
Why would they "stop" at 20% if the West lift the sanctions?

I thought they were doing the complete opposite?

I think they have more than just 15% (guessing) on the table. I mean it doesn't take that much uranium wipe-out half of Israel does it?

20% is useful in some reactors, you need about 90% for weapons grade material. Uranium enriched beyond 20% has already been found.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kamza
War within Iran is very unlikely. Why, well because this governement does not have a problem with a Shiite country such as Iran, although not ideal Iran in the eyes of the world is viewed as a somewhat legitamite alternative to mainstream Sunni Islam. If mainstream Sunni Islam ever got a foothold anywhere it would mean the return of the caliphate system, now thats a real problem for the US and the west. Like for example in afghanistan after the removal of the Soviets... The real War is not between Iran and Israel and the US it is between good and evil, between the religion of Islam, and those who oppose it. The Iran vs Israel is a non issue. It is just a diversion from the atrocities Israel is committing in Palestine, just flared up to hit the top of the news to detract from other more important stories...

I have friends in the middle east, they view Iran as the biggest regional threat there is, they are Muslim.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

One can hope that some sort of agreement and dialogue be established.
Nobody wants to see a war.

Let's hope it's legitimate and cooler heads prevail.

I agree, but unfortunately I don't know any nation, that has done this, that keeps to their word.

Ie; North Korea.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   

There is no proof of weapon facilities, and no evidence that isn't 10 or 15 years old.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
That shows a genuine willingness to negotiate (read "dont bomb us!") but it must be verifiable.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

I call b.s. on this. Let's see a source. Find me one credible source that says they have "found" 20 percent plus enriched material.
And to save me from making another post, I call b.s. on you post about your mideast muslim friends saying iran is the biggest threat. The middleast generally views america and israel as their greatest threat. They would have zero reason to fear iran. You are big on the iranophobia though.
edit on 27-9-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Well played Iran, well played.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Diplomacy was sooooo 2009!

The US has bought a one way ticket to war with Iran, they will find a way to ignore this offer or dismiss it, the legislation for 2013 has already declared America will be sending a fleet large enough to launch 'sustained' attacks on Iranian targets.

The decision makers know that Israel will strike and America will have to be there as an ally, it is as simple as that.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
This isn't about leaving Iran with a program or options at any level, IMO We'll all see it next explained that since Iran already seems to have crossed lines and won't open every facility to unlimited access, they can't be trusted with any level of nuclear tech.

Of course 20% as they are agreeing to IS well below Thermonuclear grade. I do wonder what the level is for a simple Atomic bomb (Fat man / Little boy prototype level small), but I digress..... I think it's just about right for supplying reactor grade material though. With the capacity they have..turned to just that lower level? Yup....it's looking more like I've been thinking. The Wal-Mart of Nuke tech to the developing world is what they're working toward. The West can't allow that...so this agreement won't stop much. Maybe the offer slows it down...but Obama will want total and full access...something they'll never give, IMO.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

ighly enriched uranium (HEU) has a greater than 20% concentration of 235U or 233U. The fissile uranium in nuclear weapons usually contains 85% or more of 235U known as weapon(s)-grade, though for a crude, inefficient weapon 20% is sufficient (called weapon(s)-usable);[3][4] in theory even lower enrichment is sufficient, but then the critical mass for unmoderated fast neutrons rapidly increases, approaching infinity at 6% 235U.[5] For criticality experiments, enrichment of uranium to over 97% has been accomplished.[6]

he very first uranium bomb, Little Boy dropped on Hiroshima in 1945, used 64 kilograms of 80% enriched uranium. Wrapping the weapon's fissile core in a neutron reflector (which is standard on all nuclear explosives) can dramatically reduce the critical mass. Because the core was surrounded by a good neutron reflector, at explosion it comprised almost 2.5 critical masses. Neutron reflectors, compressing the fissile core via implosion, fusion boosting, and "tamping", which slows the expansion of the fissioning core with inertia, allow nuclear weapon designs that use less than what would be one bare-sphere critical mass at normal density. The presence of too much of the 238U isotope inhibits the runaway nuclear chain reaction that is responsible for the weapon's power. The critical mass for 85% highly enriched uranium is about 50 kilograms (110 lb), which at normal density would be a sphere about 17 centimetres (6.7 in) in diameter.

en.wikipedia.org...

There you go.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join