It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Iran to halt 20-pct uranium enrichment if West's sanctions lifted

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Breaking: Iran to halt 20-pct uranium enrichment if West's sanctions lifted

in.news.yahoo.com

Tehran, Sept. 26 (Xinhua-ANI): Iran's permanent representative to the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Ali Asghar Soltanieh said Iran has offered to stop enriching uranium to a purity level of 20 percent if the West lifts sanctions against Tehran, semi- official Mehr news agency reported Wednesday.
Soltanieh said the offer was made in a meeting between Iran's chief nuclear negotiator Saeed Jalili and European Union foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton in Istanbul earlier this month.
"We are prepared to suspend enrichment to 20 percent, provided that we find a reciprocal step com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Is this just a face for the UN Council Meeting?

Call me ignorant, but what are the advantages (besides Nuclear Weaponry) of surpassing 20% enrichment? Is it provide better, or longer lasting, isotopes for medical purpose?

I don't think they will go through with this, either side, because #1 IAEA will need to be stationed at every site in Iran year round and with some of the Nuclear plants also being weapons facilities (I believe Qom), I cannot see it happening.

in.news.yahoo.com

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I hope they are serious in saying this. Because that would mean either WW3 has been prevented for now, or the USA will continue on the war path and the world will recognize how war hungry this government really is.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I thought they actually needed to let the inspectors in to look at their setup and not just take their word on it.
I`ve also got a strong feeling they can easily get one of the nukes from North Korea if they already haven`t. Particularly when the sanctions are lifted.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

One can hope that some sort of agreement and dialogue be established.
Nobody wants to see a war.

Let's hope it's legitimate and cooler heads prevail.

link   
Yeah right! And pink flying pigs are over my house!

link   
Why would they "stop" at 20% if the West lift the sanctions?

I thought they were doing the complete opposite?

I think they have more than just 15% (guessing) on the table. I mean it doesn't take that much uranium wipe-out half of Israel does it?

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Best news all day.... maybe we can avoid war between israel and iran!!!

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
sanctions are working.

if only the msm and the american politicians pandering to hawks and warmongers would believe them.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Sanctions are hitting the people hard. Forcing them to question the Islamic regime. They want the sanctions gone because otherwise, a proper revolt against Islamic authority and culture would develop very soon. What they don't realize in their deluded minds; the Islamic regime is destined to crumble and fade away, a dark page in Iran's history books - nothing more.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
The whole thing smells like a backhanded threat if you ask me.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Bully: hey kid gimme your lunch money or else I'll beat you to a pulp.
Kid: ok here you go...
Bully: bad news kid, I've decided to kick you in the face anyway.

This really ought to diffuse what has been a very tense situation, but how is Netanyahu going to get his Armageddon now? This must really have steam shooting out of his ears.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Hahahaha! What is Netanyahu going to do? Lets see if he lets it go, or if he just wants a situation bad enough to make itself available to show who has the biggest ego in the region.

If true, this is good news. Like others have said, I'm sure Korea would probably be thrilled with some oil for a single nuke it Iran indeed want to wipe Israel off the map. I don't think they would resort to that knowing there would be nothing left after a very long bloody war of all wars.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
According to this:

To make the uranium usable as a fuel, its U-235 content is increased to between 3 percent and 5 percent. This process is called enrichment. The concentration of U-235 is so low in enriched uranium that an explosion is impossible.

www.nei.org...

3 to 5% is only needed to make a nuclear reactor produce energy and Iran is well over that, The higher the enrichment then your in weapons grade.

Iran is telling them what the want to hear Iran will not stop its pursuit of the bomb,

edit on 26-9-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by cconn487
Hahahaha! What is Netanyahu going to do? Lets see if he lets it go, or if he just wants a situation bad enough to make itself available to show who has the biggest ego in the region.

He said Iran must COMPLETELY disband their Nuclear Programme.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

S&F. Thank you!

One of the reasons why 20% enrichment is required by Iran is because some of the reactors that Iran possesses requires the Uranium to be of a higher purity.

I think the next step is gonna be either "Iran didn't stop enriching Uranium after we lifted sanctions" blablabla or "Iran already has enriched enough Uranium for one or two bombs" blablablabla.

There is no way out of this for Iran. Israels will has and will always be carried out.

IT--
edit on 26-9-2012 by edog11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
War within Iran is very unlikely. Why, well because this governement does not have a problem with a Shiite country such as Iran, although not ideal Iran in the eyes of the world is viewed as a somewhat legitamite alternative to mainstream Sunni Islam. If mainstream Sunni Islam ever got a foothold anywhere it would mean the return of the caliphate system, now thats a real problem for the US and the west. Like for example in afghanistan after the removal of the Soviets... The real War is not between Iran and Israel and the US it is between good and evil, between the religion of Islam, and those who oppose it. The Iran vs Israel is a non issue. It is just a diversion from the atrocities Israel is committing in Palestine, just flared up to hit the top of the news to detract from other more important stories...

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by edog11

Israels will has and will always be carried out.

I'll bet ancient Rome figured the same thing. Ancient Egypt, too. And what about all those proud but suddenly headless kings and queens?

All things end, some of them more badly than others. Its good to keep that in mind when you're screwing around with people.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Anyone who believes ANYTHING that comes out of Iran like this is delusional.

Same old, same old crap.

I am still waiting to see the cloned drone that Amadinijad promised us!

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

Is this just a face for the UN Council Meeting?

Call me ignorant, but what are the advantages (besides Nuclear Weaponry) of surpassing 20% enrichment? Is it provide better, or longer lasting, isotopes for medical purpose?

I don't think they will go through with this, either side, because #1 IAEA will need to be stationed at every site in Iran year round and with some of the Nuclear plants also being weapons facilities (I believe Qom), I cannot see it happening.

in.news.yahoo.com

The enrichment plants at Natanz are way to far from a nearby hospital for transport, the half life of the isotopes it too short to make the isotopes usable for medical/cancer treatment, it doesn't make sense for that purpose. But enrichment goes a lot quicker once it surpassed the 20% threshold.
edit on 26-9-2012 by Foppezao because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join