It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recent Police shooting of family dog, Police CAM video...*WARNING* CONTAINS GRAPHIC MATERIAL*

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons

I love dogs, and MOST dog shootings make me really angry at police, but in this case I believe the responsibility falls on the dog owner for allowing his dogs to run outside and attack an officer. Imagine if that were a girl scout trying to sell cookies... The officer even announced it was the police department. The idiot behind teh door should have put his dogs away before opening the door. The moral of the story is this; If you cannot control your dogs, you shouldn't have dogs. Sad that this dog had to pay the price for his owner's irresponsible ways.
reply to post by TinkerHaus

I was thinking the exact same thing. I'm a dog lover too. I've had a dog around me since I was just child. This owner was irresponsible for letting his dog run out of the house. Whether he was a police officer, a stranger or a child, the owner has the responsibility to keep their dog from intimidating or possibly harming another person. It's the reason why we have leash laws.

Strangers don't know if your dog will bite, so why would you put a police officer or a stranger in that defensive, and frightening position? Why would you take the chance of being liable if your dog would bite or attack someone? I feel bad for the dog, but if the owner had any common sense, he would have made sure his dogs were put somewhere in the house to keep them from getting loose and intimidating the officer.

You never see the dogs exit the house...You see an officer backing up after he could have stepped into the house and then the dogs followed.

We have all seen aggressive attack dogs, these are not attacking him. Attacking dogs get a hold of clothing or anything. Do you see that happening? I have a silly little dog that can get your pant leg better than those TWO dogs did.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miri08
I'm not going to watch the video because it will put me in a depressed mood for the rest of the day, however I did read your description and so I am going off of that alone.

You state the dogs were barking and coming towards the officers. If the dogs didn't actually lunge at them, than I do not think they should have shot. If the dogs had made to pounce then I could justify (in my mind) that they did what they had to do. To me, I feel they should have waited until an attack was imminent. (Again, I did not watch the video)

I've been very vocal about my distrust of police officers as a whole - still I believe they should have guns, as criminals have guns as well. I just feel that they should be more selective in choosing to use their guns and that when a police officer does use their gun, the policies need to change on reviewing the incidents and on appropriate consequences.

I agree with you about arming our peace officers. But I do see two dogs defending a home not viciously attacking.

Most people wouldn't know the difference. Big low barks some lunging. If they were attacking they could have easily got his pant leg.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
OK, what we have here is a case of police officers operating within department policy.

They're taking a call for service to check the welfare and safety of the children at this home

Officer identified himself as Police Officers

The idiot who resides at the home acknowledge the fact that their were officers at the door.

The animals should have been detain in a safe locations away from the officers.

The dogs were "not" contain and subsequently attack the officers in a aggressive manner, not one dog but two.

The officer had every right to shoot the dogs because of their actions and it was all film during the call.

Yes it was justified. The boy should have use some common sense.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MeesterB
Seems justified. After all, both of the dogs were all over the cop.
Worst case scenario the cops are jumped on by the dogs and the homeowner comes out with a gun...
It's not like they can just push the dogs off until the owner politely gets them under control.

You know I get your point and this is most likely how they are trained to deal with it. They go to a meth lab the guy has dogs, sends the dogs out to attack and then shoots the officers. I get that.

This was a child welfare call. Which meant they were checking on the well being of children.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

You state the dogs were barking and coming towards the officers. If the dogs didn't actually lunge at them, than I do not think they should have shot. If the dogs had made to pounce then I could justify (in my mind) that they did what they had to do. To me, I feel they should have waited until an attack was imminent. (Again, I did not watch the video)

One dog definitely pounces on the officer and comes up to his chest. That's a little too close to the throat for my comfort.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

A child welfare call seems pretty innocuous, but you can be committing a crime/tend to violent behavior without it being on the police record.

Granted some cops do over react, but in some situations it's better to over react than to end up dead.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Yes I agree. I just feel like if they had waited, being "the attack" hadn't actually been put into motion - that the whole thing may have been prevented. (again, I'm typing without having seen the video for myself.)

And you bring up a good point. Dogs protect their properties, they can't tell if a person is a criminal or an officer or santa claus, I read that they didn't go to the front door. Why? Maybe some forethought could have prevented the whole debacle.

It's just a depressing situation all around.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MeesterB

The reason I have posted this as there have been several investigation in this small city for police shootings

www.idahostatesman.com...

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Alright thank you. Yes, in that case it makes more sense to me that the officer shot. I'm not saying I like that he shot, but I can at least see some reason for it having happened if that's the case.

It would be better for me to have just watched the video but I can't bring myself to.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Alright thank you. Yes, in that case it makes more sense to me that the officer shot. I'm not saying I like that he shot, but I can at least see some reason for it having happened if that's the case.

It would be better for me to have just watched the video but I can't bring myself to.

I don't want you depressed over this it is a sad event all around. I am hoping that enough awareness comes to this so we find a better solution. I don't want police shot any more than I want a family pet or accidental shooting of a innocent bystander.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
Why do cops have guns at all? Guns can KILL PEOPLE. They should all only have tazers.

Calgarian -- how can you be so lucid on most subjects you post on, yet you make a statement like this?

Yes, people kill people with guns.

So its ok for our Marines to have been killed in the Libya embassy because they were ordered to not have bullets in their guns?

Yeah, that's the world liberals have created.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by sylent6
OK, what we have here is a case of police officers operating within department policy.

They're taking a call for service to check the welfare and safety of the children at this home

Officer identified himself as Police Officers

The idiot who resides at the home acknowledge the fact that their were officers at the door.

The animals should have been detain in a safe locations away from the officers.

The dogs were "not" contain and subsequently attack the officers in a aggressive manner, not one dog but two.

The officer had every right to shoot the dogs because of their actions and it was all film during the call.

Yes it was justified. The boy should have use some common sense.

I agree. The cops went to the home due to someone being worried about the children. They probably went to the back door because the dogs were fenced in the front. To me, this looks like a set up by the homeowner. Normally I also would side with the home owner, but going by this video footage, the dogs attacked the officer.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Just curious, has anybody bothered to read the attached story to this one?

but the video is changing opinions - even the opinion of the dog owner.

After seeing the video even the dog owner thinks the cops were justified in shooting the dog... It was defiantly an attack... Not a deliberate one by the owner, but has the owner says "somehow the door was left open" which led to an accidental attack and the police were more then justified to defend their selves...

Chaos

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by chaos79

After seeing the video even the dog owner thinks the cops were justified in shooting the dog... It was defiantly an attack... Not a deliberate one by the owner, but has the owner says "somehow the door was left open" which led to an accidental attack and the police were more then justified to defend their selves...

Chaos

Aaaahhhhhh......thanks for clearing that up Chaos.....I either skimmed over the article or read a different one. TY

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
For sure!
Here to help when I can... Or once was anyways... Had to create a new account, I was on this site for many years, but never posted much - and the one time i go to post my account has disappeared...lol Probably from inactivity... But oh well...lol Guess I'll have to try to be more vocal this time around...

On another note; I'd just like to express my sympathy for the family of the dog, the dog itself, and the officer who had to make a hard decision... Im sure it wasnt an easy one... I know many officers and almost all of them are big dog people, which Im sure this officer is feeling horrible about the whole situation as well.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
those officers should have more respect for people property and learn not to INtrude into someones home with no probable cause. doesnt matter what type of dog it is ALL dogs have the potential to kill they are dog's they have teeth

what this video does show is how cops are trained just like dogs, they dont think they only rely on training why not shut the FRONT door? pathetic these cops give the good ones a bad name. but alas dont blame the dog blame the trainer right? who trains these peace officers again?

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Look I believe the officer should defend himself. But what about private property?

The owner is still responsible for their dogs even if someone is on their property. Unless of course it's an intruder and the dog attacks protecting the owner or the home.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
If I had a pit bull biting me on the belt while another one was charging I would do anything to stop them from attacking.
Stop the video at :39 and you'll see the white dog hanging on the officer's belt.
Had that been his leg he could have bled to death in minutes instead.
Even the owner understood he had no choice.

Ok, so that makes 1 justified shooting of a dog by police versus several dozen unjustified.
Sad that so often the dogs are needlessly killed.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I didnt watch it....but the rules of engagement (use of a firearm) need to be expanded for use against animals and people (as that is also happening on an alarming basis; ie, "threatening man in a wheelchair"). I think that unless the dog appears rapid or is a particulary large and dangerous breed and is attacking that the officer should use less than lethal means first (pepper spray, baton, boot and taser). IF seriously bitten and the dog continues to attack then he can put it down. As to people....I wonder how many cops would stay in uniform if they had to be fired upon first (then they cant say that the cell phone or pen was a weapon)? Being a uniformed officer should not be a license to kill.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by chaos79

Chaos

That was actually edited after my posting, and the reason I brought this up is there have been several shooting in this small city.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join