It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Modern Christianity in a nutshell.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
First of all, lets look at what the majority of christians believe.

God is everywhere
God hears all
God sees all
God acts (when he feels like it)
God is mysterious
God must be taken on faith
The Bible is the word of God
The Bible is infallible
God intervenes when he sees fit
God answers prayer – yes, no, wait
God heals when he sees fit
God can explain everything away
Faith can explain everything away
Contradictions are okay as long as they are from God
God is the answer to everything
It is up to him to give us the answers if he wants
God is the way, the truth and the life
Anything can be argued/proved by the Bible
The earth is young
God created it
He put things there to trip up the scientists
I’m a Christian, you’re a Christian, we’re all Christians (but I am in the right)
All other religions are wrong
Other religions have myths, fairy tales, superstitions but not mine
There are angels around that help
There are demons around that hinder
I am right. You are wrong. You are a poor lost soul going to hell, sent there by a loving God, but it is your choice.
God wants us all to come to him
All you have to do to get to heaven is… take your pick depending on which Christian/religion you are talking to).
God is, was, and ever shall be
The earth is going to be destroyed
God told us what was going to happen a long time ago
God performs miracles
God disrupts nature
God uses natural events to punish sin
God loves you and wants you to come to him, but if you don’t he wants you to spend an eternity in torturous hell
Humanity is sinful
Without God we are hopeless, helpless and lawless
After we die we go to heaven
God lives in me
God shows me what to do
God speaks to me through his word
Things happen for a reason
The world is evil.

Source

That what it is basically. I don't see the point in believing in the christian God because it just doesn't make any sense, it isn't logical, and it's utterly stupid.If you think like above, please free yourself from that delusion. Don't you see that you are making illusions in your own mind. With a thinking like that humanity would be stuck, Luckily that's not reality, but for a big majority it is.
Open your mind

edit on 26-9-2012 by rambo1112 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
If Satan punishes the evil doers, doesn't that make him the good guy?

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
If Satan punishes the evil doers, doesn't that make him the good guy?
Satan does not "punish" the evil doers. That is not biblical doctrine.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?
The ONLY reason I can find why someone does an attack like this is because inside they hurt like hell and the spiritual part inside is reacting to it..

If God didn't exist and you didn't believe he did, you wouldn't bother with a post like this one.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by pacifier2012

I must admit you're right about the bed thing, and about the spiritual pad thingy.
But why I really posted this because I'm angry at the majority of christians and my christian family who thinks like this.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

I have a better one. Think of how people normally envision heaven: naked women (or men), lots of beer (or chocolate), feather pillows and beautiful golden castles, blah blah blah.

So here's what I'm seeing: if we fail to avoid the seven deadly sins, "God" will punish us with the seven deadly sins. But if we succeed in avoiding those seven deadly sins, then we'll be rewarded with the seven deadly sins.

Am I seeing this right? Did I misunderstand something? Isn't this the impression we're generally given as kids and growing up? I know adults don't generally think about heaven in terms of texture, but they usually still think in gluttonous ways when pondering heaven, right?

There's a question for you guys. When you hear the word 'heaven', what comes to your mind? What do you see, feel, hear, etc? What do you think of?
edit on 26-9-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by rambo1112

I must admit you're right about the bed thing, and about the spiritual pad thingy.
But why I really posted this because I'm angry at the majority of christians and my christian family who thinks like this.
I suggest you read the Bible for yourself. Much of what you wrote is not sound Biblical doctrine. Those who say it is are in error.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Ah, but that's the point! 90% of these religious folk run around making Christianity suit their own purposes! Isn't that why Christianity is so popular? Because it's a cure-all, answer-all? It was DESIGNED to be used in that way! It was designed to be the Superman of all religions, because it's whatever you want it to be, as long as you kowtow to the leaders of the faith!

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
To reject Christ because of hypocrite Christians is narrow-minded bigotry.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

He put things there to trip up the scientists

This is not biblical doctrine. 0% of the Christians I know believe this.

The earth is going to be destroyed

This is actually commonly accepted in the scientific community. One day the sun will burn out. Nothing is eternal.

Humanity is sinful

Problem?

The world is evil.

There is much more good in this world than bad. Don't let the media fool you. There are kind, good-hearted, generous, loving people all over this world. They just don't get nearly as much attention as the 'bad guys'. It is not that the world itself is evil, but that temporary worldly desires like money, fame, and recognition lead us to sin - this was the root of the Judas's demise. But remember that there is goodness and love all around.
edit on 9/26/2012 by DarkKnight21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by netgamer7k

To reject Christ because of hypocrite Christians is narrow-minded bigotry.

To tell homosexuals that they are damned because of some book you read is not much better, really. I read a book saying that all Christians are liars and cheats. Should I believe it and subsequently judge every Christian without even talking to them?

Same principle.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by rambo1112

Why are you angry?

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Is the world not evil? Don't you think murders, stealing, raping, plundering, abuse, adultery, and slavery are evil? Why are you angry at me, aren't you angry at evil people? I don't do any of those things, so why are you angry at me?

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

I suggest you read the Bible for yourself. Much of what you wrote is not sound Biblical doctrine.

Let us look at that word "doctrine."

doc·trine [dok-trin]
noun
1.a particular principle, position, or policy taught or advocated, as of a religion or government: Catholic doctrines; the Monroe Doctrine.

2.something that is taught; teachings collectively: religious doctrine.

3.a body or system of teachings relating to a particular subject: the doctrine of the Catholic Church.
dictionary.reference.com...

So what you are really saying here is what your opponent says is not "policy" or not what is "advocated" by your particular version of Christianity. Isn't that correct?

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

SOME of what he listed is not Biblical. There is no where in the Bible that states that the earth is 6,000 years old for example. This number is inferred by some, but not supported by the Bible itself. The fact is that we have no idea how old the earth or the universe is from strictly Biblical sources. Same with SOME of the other stuff he lists. He seems to be accepting what others say without seeking direct knowledge himself.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
reply to post by autowrench

SOME of what he listed is not Biblical. There is no where in the Bible that states that the earth is 6,000 years old for example. This number is inferred by some, but not supported by the Bible itself. The fact is that we have no idea how old the earth or the universe is from strictly Biblical sources. Same with SOME of the other stuff he lists. He seems to be accepting what others say without seeking direct knowledge himself.

The earth being 6000 years old is an assumption ignorant people, both christian and nonchristians have said on occasion. This comes from the NT saying that to God 1 day is like 1000 years, and then they take that God finished creation in 6 days so from beginning to end all of creation only took him 6000 years from when he started to when he finished and then rested on the 7th day (1000 more years) and then Man's labor began when he fell which according to contemprary biblical timelines was 6000 years ago (6 days) which would make Christ returning to earth at the end of the 6th day to begin his 7th day Millenial reign (His day of rest for 1000 years).

The truth is we do not know what exactly time is like for God, no one has gone to where he is and returned to tell us because Jesus hasn't come back yet, but obviously some amount of time passes because he returns and his hair is white like an old man's. Now does this mean it's true? I can't say, i've never been to wherever God is so i don't know, all i have to go on is faith. I can;t put my trust in science because science leaves a great many things to be unexplained and so science too falls into a category of faith.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

I can;t put my trust in science because science leaves a great many things to be unexplained and so science too falls into a category of faith.

Which means you put your faith in something that leaves the world even less explained? Seems legit.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

SOME of what he listed is not Biblical. There is no where in the Bible that states that the earth is 6,000 years old for example.

You're missing the point. How much of what people tout to be Christian, is not actually Christian at all? Plagiarism aside, there are many quotes that are assumed to be Biblical, but in fact are not. And there are ideas which are taken from the Bible and then warped by the less-than-adequate understanding of the average non-spiritual human being.

Basically, we're dumb enough that we can be relied upon to take the simplest idea and warp it to suit our purpose, instead of changing ourselves to follow that idea. We don't like changing; we would much rather change everything around us to suit our desires.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

I hear ya. The most infuriating part, aside from the I'm right your wrong part, I can live with that, because of my PHD'ed atheist daughter is always telling me I'm wrong about something, and she's usually right, LOL. No, with my family, the part that is so infuriating is the constant condemnation. And then there's that smirk, almost glee, that comes from them when something bad does happen, in mine or my daughter's life.

My family spends their prayers, praying for bad things to happen, to lead me and my daughter back to Jesus. So, when bad things happen, they believe their prayers are being answered, and God is punishing us. There's is no pity, compassion, just their "Tsk, tsk!" "I'll pray for you, for Jesus to show you (how you are wrong, are a sinner, going to hell) his loving way."

Of course, when bad things happen in their lives, God is testing them, for a greater reward in heaven

I once asked my mother, "If St Peter asked you to watch the gates of heaven for him, and in his absence, my daughter arrived, would you let her in?" Well, you can guess, the answer was "No!"

How can a loving God have less compassion than a wretched unbeliever, but a mother, none the less, like me? How can my mother condemn her own granddaughter to hell because of religious pride? How can this woman waste her prayers, believing that Jesus answers prayers, on asking for bad things to happen, to prove God's wrath, instead of good things that prove God's love?

But this is symptomatic of many Christians, reveling in glee when they hear of wars, earthquakes, disease and famine, because the can't wait for the end of the world. They believe that they have no obligation to the earth, or future generations, because Jesus died for their sins. They believe that they have no culpability or investment, as Jesus is going to destroy the earth for them, and make it all shiny and new.

Very frustrating! Thinking that our global leaders are leading on a religious bias is just terrifying.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

I can;t put my trust in science because science leaves a great many things to be unexplained and so science too falls into a category of faith.

Which means you put your faith in something that leaves the world even less explained? Seems legit.

The bible explains more about this world than you can even imagine. You do not see it, because you do not know what you're looking at. There is science in the bible, but people like you will never see it.

<<   2 >>

join