It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University of California to pay nearly $1 million in deal with 21 pepper-sprayed UC-Davis Occupy pro

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
University of California to pay nearly $1 million in deal with 21 pepper-sprayed UC-Davis Occupy protesters

The University of California has agreed to pay about $1 million to settle a lawsuit filed by UC-Davis students who were pepper-sprayed by campus police during an Occupy-style protest on campus last November, according to media reports. The settlement also calls for a personal written apology from UC-Davis Chancellor Linda Katehi to each person hit with the spray, according to The Sacramento Bee.

UC and plaintiffs represented by the American Civil Liberties Union filed the preliminary settlement in federal court in Sacramento on Wednesday, The Associated Press reported.
Under the agreement, which must be approved by a federal judge, the university will pay $30,000 to each of 21 students and former students named in the complaint and an additional $250,000 for their attorneys to split.

They deserve it for stomping on the peoples right to protest. 30K for getting hit with pepper spray isn't bad I'd take getting sprayed with it for that much. But just what did these attorney's do that's worth 250K?

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Haven't been pepper sprayed, but went through tear gas and smoke exposure. I would definitely take a hit from pepper spray for $30k same with a taser hit. The police involved also need to be punished though. Fire them, fine them, jail them. We need to get their attention and convince them that these actions are unacceptable.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
glad the cop whp sprayed them got fired. sad thing is, new york will probably offer him a job right away.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
so that's what it costs to trample the first amendment.

at least it sets precedent. $30,000 a head, less if group discount of over a 100.

the protesters sold out. they should have sued for $1,000,000 each and sent a message that trampling the constitution of the united states and the rights of citizens is not something to be done lightly.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
Haven't been pepper sprayed, but went through tear gas and smoke exposure. I would definitely take a hit from pepper spray for $30k same with a taser hit. The police involved also need to be punished though. Fire them, fine them, jail them. We need to get their attention and convince them that these actions are unacceptable.

I've been pepper sprayed and I was told it was alot worse than the gas. I can definitely believe it, it isn't something I'd want to do again. IMO the only appropriate use of pepper spray is to stop someone who is putting someone else's physical safety at risk. Everything else is essentially assault.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Been sprayed multiple times. It's really no big deal. I would definitely do it for 30 thousand dollars any day of the week.

top topics

join