It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

THE POWER OF AN IMAGE...Manipulating the masses or How to sow the seeds of Revolution?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
You will only ever see what they want you to see...

...it's up to you whether you believe what they want you to believe.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8
You will only ever see what they want you to see...

...it's up to you whether you believe what they want you to believe.

Wow that is a very compelling image and depending on the crop could create tension\anger or sympathy or both!

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Another point of view and food for thought. It's all in interpretation. Here is a perfect case. I'm sure many of you saw this picture:

It get thrown around Facebook and other sites as a soldier praying. I can tell you 100% he was NOT praying. He was simply trying to stand up. How do I know? He's my soldier and I was standing immediately out of frame and remember the journalist taking the picture. I can even tell you the exact time, place and situation surrounding the picture. It didn't stop the US Army from using it as an "Army Values" poster though.

Cool for my guy as his image is all over the net....but sucks they are portraying his intent as other than the fact.

What's really funny is his dad IS a preacher and the soldier himself was fairly religious.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

looks like he is trying to protect protesters from police brutality to me.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I think that what is telling is that all the American media has to do to turn most people off from a large protest is say small business owners had their property destroyes and BAM! discredit an entire movement.

We are so fickle...

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Isn't that the truth of what soldiers do though? They kill and they save....they do both. It isn't one or the other....it's like dexter.....he kills but look at who he is killing.....I said this before in another thread......honest men lie and liars are honest...there is such a thing as "a blessing and a curse"

People want the labels, they want to check the block on "bad guy" "good guy" but the truth is we are all good and bad depending on the situation.

I strive for sainthood, but god knows I'm a sinner

The man in the restaurant....well how do we really know what was going on in those pics? It could be a variety of all sorts of things....I could speculate for hours on possibilities......but until I speak to him, the customers and the police officer, I will refrain from drawing any conclusions based off pics alone......

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhysicsAdept

Here is a picture CNN doesn't want you to see.

A restaurant owner is held back by a riot policeman as he reacts in anger at demonstrators throwing stones at his restaurant, after a protest against spending cuts and the government of Mariano Rajoy ended in riots around the Spanish parliament.

Read more: www.businessinsider.com...

edit on 26-9-2012 by PhysicsAdept because: (no reason given)

Yeah. I realize that those people have something to be angry about but why on earth would a business owner support a private property destroying mob damage everything he has worked for in his life? Who would believe that?
I urge anyone who supports Occupy idiocy in this country to think about working really hard to create a productive business that you are really proud of and manage to (barely) support your family and to use any profits to help your children keep and achieve the same thing. Then watch as the government almost taxes you out of business to pay for people who don't work. Then you watch as those entitled, ungrateful brats hurl rocks at your business because of your success despite their theft of the fruit of your labors. Then you might realize how pathetic that movement is and how frustrated and justifiably enraged that businessman is.
Th mob is the enemy of any rational or morally just man.
edit on 26-9-2012 by pierregustavetoutant because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

It was Martin Scorsese, the film director who said that a photograph is like reading one page of a whole novel. I think CNN is lying to make it appear that the protesters are destroying buildings. This was not like the London riots, looting and burning buildings. This is a protest just like it appears. Anti Austerity.

In the video though you can clearly see this man is guarding the people in the store from police. I say that because elsewhere in the video the cops have broken up the riot and are pursuing people they think might have been involved into buildings and even down into the subway. Some people just going about their business are challenged in a thugish witch hunt by the police. You can tell they are agitated and looking for suspects. Some they pass over, others are grabbed and rushed away.

Thats why I say that the store owner was protecting the people in his store. As the riot police gained the upper hand, the people fled and ducked into anywhere they could to get away. In more photos you see him in conflict with the police. They know some of the people in his store were part of the riot and they want at them. Just unsure how to proceed. The force was with that dude.

All that is conjecture though I guess. Except that none of his windows are broken and there is no glass or rocks at the mans feet in the OP's photo. If you watch the video you can see the protesters are not targeting shops or buildings, they are duking it out with the police in the street. Even the objects hurled are expedient, like chairs and water bottles; not rocks. Some stuff comes at the shop owner, but I think that the cops gathered in front of the shop were the targets, not the store.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
are people in spain really that white? i always had this image of darker skin/tan and dark/black shiney wavey hair haha!, i dont know i dont live there, lol. (nevermind went and looked at more pics of people from spain, they are pretty white to tan in apearance) anywho i only mention because msn will use stock photos from different countries hell even the past to make a point except they forget to mention that in the caption photo is 20 years old ect heh.
its an interesting question, the photo itself looks as if taken 5 feet from people (doesnt look like zoom lense shot either)and their faces dont look scared so much as they look mad at person taking photo or the cop, from look of cop though it looks like hand gesture is saying wait here or its ok, for all i know he coulda rounded them up and traped them there and thats why the guy is yelling, funny enough though i cant make out any rocks anywhere near the building, i see some cans and trash but no rocks or anything that looks like broken windows.

we did a similar project to this when i was in anthropology in which they took several photos and asked us what going on, 90% of time everyone was waaay off.
i dont think its ever a question if msn has an agenda to push, just ask who pays them or gives them huge tax breaks. ^^

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage
Do you see any broken windows? Any stones? Makes me wonder?

Lies! The American media is fabricating their empty facade again.
I'm sick of all the damned lies!

@above post
Yes, Spaniards are quite "white".
edit on 26-9-2012 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by pirhanna

yah i went looking didnt want to sound pig headed but my friend from spain was real tan so i just figured everyone else was too but around 50-100 photos destroyed my romantic vision of the people of spain, thanx again ats !!!! lol makin me freakin learn all the time damnit!!!

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
What exactly was the business owner saying in the video? Can somebody please translate?

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
My Ancient History teacher in secondary school had many thought provoking images all over her classroom. She was an incredible, unconventional teacher who always taught us to think for ourselves in regards to everything and question what we were taught ( including what she taught us ). I can thank her for my ability to think freely about things and question everything,

When I saw this I immediately thought of this image in her classroom.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Zehll

Wow.....that link was....well....wow.....

Thanks for that one, eye opener for sure!

Oh btw: we need a ton more teachers like yours, you were lucky to have such a unconventional teacher.
edit on 26-9-2012 by Mijamija because: Additional comment

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Live free or die.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
TRANSLATIONS:
@ 4:19
"The business owner wants to avoid anyone leaving (the restaurant) knowing what is happening"
The people behind are yelling "asesino" which means "murderer."
The owner says "alto!" which means "stop!"
@ 4:30
"The protesters throw objects at the police, that have hit the front of the restaurant, some hitting the door of the restaurant."
The woman yells from behind "asesino (inteligible)" again, shouting "murderer....(probably an insult)"
it appears to me they are all yelling "asesino" at the cops which means "murderer!"
@ 4:51
The restaurant owner yells "please! don't throw rocks!" then the woman yells again "murderer!"

I am confused by this. I am more familiar with Mexican spanish than I am Castillian Spanish. Could tirar piedras translate as "shoot bullets?" I am unfamiliar with slang from Spain. I know that the expression shoot onesself in the foot is translated (per google translator) as "tirar (uno) piedras contra su propio tejado."

What is apparent to me is that the owner and the people appear to be shouting at the police.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Here is the picture that the big boys dont want you to see, the REAL picture.

If you think next bar line is red, expect more riot.

Graph dont tell lie, pics do.

I'm expecting Euro to fall lower next few weeks, which is a respond to the PIIGS problem.

Oh btw, if you notice, I'm selling (on demo account), means, I'm with the big boys,
Sorry Spaniards and Greek peoples, just dump your government - my advice.
edit on 27-9-2012 by NullVoid because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by redstripe1229
I am confused by this. I am more familiar with Mexican spanish than I am Castillian Spanish. Could tirar piedras translate as "shoot bullets?" I am unfamiliar with slang from Spain. I know that the expression shoot onesself in the foot is translated (per google translator) as "tirar (uno) piedras contra su propio tejado."

What is apparent to me is that the owner and the people appear to be shouting at the police.

The owner of the restaurant does yell "don't throw rocks" but the captions say that he asks the protesters to stop throwing rock at the police standing in front of his restaurant. The picture of him being handled roughly by the police shows he was standing up against them.

The part of the video inside the subway station shows an older gentleman yelling "shame" while he hugs a young man in a wheelchair.

The blond man in black which is almost taken away says that they were just waiting for the trains when over the loudspeaker it was stated that they must stay away from the tracks. he says "we have been waiting and these people have clearly come to harass us".

At the end of the video the police turn on the cameraman. He tells them that he is just doing his job. That it is his job to document what is going on. He then says that they have ripped the mike off of his camera (probably just the sponge since audio is still heard). He complains and is told that while the police are there he is to "stay there and not do anything"

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep
reply to post by PhysicsAdept

Those cops really look to be enjoying themselves! Notice how they run around and randomly beat people with sticks and occasionally shoot rubber bullets everywhere. It's chaotic, but they seem excited about it. Especially a particularly skinny cop running around all cool with a nightstick in that video. One ran into a building all ninja like and started shooting. They don't even care who you are, you're getting a beating!

edit on 26-9-2012 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

You know you'd be doing the same.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Posted that image on More than 100,000 protesting in Madrid, Spain - Surrounding/Occupy the Parliament (UPDATED), topic.
Here is the Reddit link that goes with it, it bring up that the owner was interview by the Huffington post. While it's true he was asking the protesters to stop throwing rocks cause they where hitting his shop. The protesters where NOT throwing them at his shop, but at the cops out in front trying to chase down the protesters that where in side his shop. Can't blame people for bad aim.

Reddit
edit on 27-9-2012 by ObjectZero because: bad grammer

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join