It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Killed my plants & upset my cat - air fresheners stink!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
The chemicals in those things are scarey! Use natural products or make air freshers yourself.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

schuyler, wow! Your kittens are amazingly beautiful! Just too cute! They look like oriental spotted, are they? My girl Molly is apparently half OST and I can imagine the second one is exactly what she would have looked like as a kitten...

Haha it's been years since I had a kitten and yeah, I don't miss the scarred hands and the scags in the curtains and the little gifts in the plant pots

Moses is a handsome boy!

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by glen200376

Thanks Glen, so what happened to your plants?

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by paradisepurple

schuyler, wow! Your kittens are amazingly beautiful! Just too cute! They look like oriental spotted, are they? My girl Molly is apparently half OST and I can imagine the second one is exactly what she would have looked like as a kitten...

Thanks. Joshua and Jericho are "Ocicats," (after "ocelot") which are half Siamese and half Abyssinian with a bit of American shorthair thrown in. In the sixties someone was trying to put Siamese "points" on an Abyssinian. They got spots instead. They bred true, so now there is a new breed. They are as smart as Siamese (I've had four Siamese at once so I am quite familiar with them), but without the "Yowl" Siamese like to make. But these Bad Boys are extremely fast, active, and curious. They're a bit bigger than the pics at 17 weeks and can now reach the kitchen counter in a single leap, to help with dinner preparation and all. They'll grow to 15 pounds each.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Elentarri

That's a really good point actually, the world is so polluted yet plants still survive... Now you have me a bit worried it's not the air fresheners after all
But I really don't know what else it could be...

Your ideas were brilliant, thanks! Never thought of getting some scented plants for indoors.. I foresee a trip to the garden centre this weekend

Funnily enough I bought some catnip seeds off ebay a few months ago and haven't done anything with them yet.. I just buy the dried stuff normally and even though it's messy as hell I love seeing my cat going crazy, rolling around in it, dribbling with contentment and with this dreamy look in her eyes like she's on another planet..I'm amazed it isn't illegal

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Never heard of Ocicats but yeah I can see the Siamese in the kitten in the top photo (Joshua?) No wonder they're so crazy!

So do you miss that 'yowl'? We had a Siamese when I was growing up and my mother has had two since then... I love the noise they make but my fella hates it and it freaks him out whenever we have to go cat-sit when my mother's away...

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

So do you miss that 'yowl'? We had a Siamese when I was growing up and my mother has had two since then... I love the noise they make but my fella hates it and it freaks him out whenever we have to go cat-sit when my mother's away...

Yeah, I miss the yowl. Siamese are extremely intelligent. I'm thinking more intelligent than the Ocis, but we'll see over time. It's a language, really. I was around them for almost 20 years and you begin to learn that one yowl is not the same as another. They're trying to communicate with you and, just like whales, they each have their peculiarities. I remember once when one of the four said something very different. I turned to my wife and said,

"I thought I knew Cat!" I had no idea what she meant. It was a new word to me. If I told you everything I had experiences with Siamese, I would likely lose all credibility with the viewers here. It's hard to believe what they can pull off. It goes far beyond being able to open baby locks for cupboards.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Funnily enough I bought some catnip seeds off ebay a few months ago and haven't done anything with them yet.. I just buy the dried stuff normally and even though it's messy as hell I love seeing my cat going crazy, rolling around in it, dribbling with contentment and with this dreamy look in her eyes like she's on another planet..I'm amazed it isn't illegal

LOL. What they have at the garden centre here is 2 wire mess handing pots wired together to form a "ball" - the bottom one has a straw base and hold the soil and catnip in it; and the top pot forms a cage. The plant can grow through the wire so the cats can eat the stuff that sticks out and won't demolish your plant completely. And if the cat gets too goofy you can hang the pot up out of the way. I thought it was a cool idea. ;D

PS. A moderate amount of dirt and germs are good for you.

Random link 1

Random link 2

Random link 3

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by paradisepurple

I had one of those air fresheners a couple of years back that squirted on a timer. Within a week, my buddy (Cat) became ill with a respiratory illness. It dawned on me that this was the reason.

Cost me $500 plus and took a couple weeks for him to get back to normal.

I won’t have that crap in my house again…and to my own detriment, it has turned me into a clean freak as well.

I buy flowers nowadays.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by paradisepurple

Nothing,all healthy.I learned that even having limonene products anywhere near them was big no no before growing.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   

I know where you're coming from... Like you say, it's a language and they literally do talk back to you! Shame my fella hates the noise so I won't ever be able to get a Siamese

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Sounds cool! I don't think I've seen anything like that here in the UK but I will have a look....

Actually I couldn't agree more re the germs, although I am a cleaning freak that's because I feel really stressed if the house is untidy (tidy house tidy mind and all that!) But yeah, I see people slathering on anti-bacterial hand gel every 10 seconds and I just think it's so unnecessary...

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Oh no that's really horrible, I'm sorry you and kitty had to go through that

I love having flowers in the house but I find no matter what type or where I get them from they are never very scented.... Unless it's lillies, which unfortunately tend to emit a cat wee type smell after a few days

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by glen200376

Good, I'm glad your medicinal plants were ok

top topics

<< 1   >>

join