It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7 th century-20,000 people underground cities?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   

In order to escape from Roman invasions during the 7th century, the Christians of the region built complete underground cities. Some of them extending as deep as 14 stories and there the populations were able to live hidden for months. They were so well hidden that the underground cities were undiscovered until the 1960's.

woooa! I thought this was intresting,theres lots to read-kind of takes the edge and suprise of reading about modern military bases with multipule stories,theres also some unusual references to Atlantis,and that the tunnels seemed to be made with unusually tall people in mind?
www.xpeditionsmagazine.com...

[edit on 16-10-2004 by optimus fett]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
added 'ex' tags

[edit on 29/11/06 by masqua]

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Interesting find Optimus fett

Do you have a link for more info?

*Edit*

Well, that was fast

[edit on 10/16/04 by Kidfinger]

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   
yeah,sorry kidfinger,just edited my post.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Theres quite a lot availble-easier to google "lost cities of cappadolia"

(should have mentioned the name of the place-duh)

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Man, talk about central heat and air!

In fact, there could only be one purpose in building such a city(ies) underground: to escape the temperature of the air above ground. In stifling hot summers and freezing winters, the temperature in the underground cites remained around 8 degrees Celsius

None of the pics are working on the site for me, what are they pics of? The city unerground?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Added 'ex' tags

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   
theres quite a few pictures,if the ones on the link dont come up try a google search,im still reading up myself-pretty intresting though eh?

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Is this the place your talking about?

www.atamanhotel.com...

From the picture on this site, it looks like there were few straight lines in thier constuuction an tunneling methods.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 12:25 PM
link   
yeah,thats a better link than the one i posted,well done

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Here is a better link with information in regars to the regeon that this undergroun city is in.
www.focusmm.com...

If you scroll down to the bottom, there is a link for another unerground city not far from the first one mentioned.
Thanks agian for a little enlightenment on a new discovery for myself

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
either way you look at these underground cities,its quite a remarkble feat of engineering,especially to be able house such a huge amount of people in what seems to have been relative comfort,with ventilation and hygeine systems in place-to take animals underground alone i would have thought was quite tricky? + the one way locking doors defence system must have took some organizing in the event of an attack. I find it strange that they were not discovered before the 60s?

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Ive been doingsome checking around on this subject, and it seems the people of the reagon, at that time, were very busy with projects such as this

Derinkuyu is by no means the only such city you can visit here. There are actually 40 or so subterranean settlements in the area although only a few are open to the public. Kaymakli, 10 kilometers to the north of Derinkuyu, is smaller and less excavated but 5 levels are accessible and the experience is pretty much the same. Not For The Claustrophobic.

Found it on this site.
www.hitit.co.uk...

~~~~~~~~~~~
Added 'ex' tags

posted on Nov, 26 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I found this old thread while tagging and felt it deserved a bump.

This is a really interesting thread with some good links. If you like the thought of underground cities, you should take a look.

And yes, I know we no longer get points for tagging, but there are so many great old threads being missed that I sometimes see what I can 'dig' up.

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I am from the vicinity and once me and missus got trapped in one of those .
I think we were about 5 storey down at the moment and electricity just gone off !

For a few minutes ; It felt scary but then th epower returned and we went up to the surface . I think the power cut off was a silly trick to make it more " exciting " for the visitors .

It certainly worked for us .

We had a nice lunch in one of those chimney - come restaurants and that was that !

Ahh , Kapadokya is a magical place where the time truely stops .

Cheers

posted on Nov, 29 2006 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I am convinced of the futility in attempting to live above ground through the impending (human induced) ice-age. My family is actively working to construct subterrainian shelters of approx 250 sqft each. Stone dome (oversized igloo) construction with metal geodesic framework. If you intend to see your genes pass into the next age... I suggest you do the same. Once our first dome is complete 2 others will follow hopefully before 2010, then further excavation will proceed beneath each in the "pillar and room" fashion, similar to Cappadocia.

Extremes were very real 10,000 years ago... and that distant reality is about to reverberate a little louder than before.

Good find.

Sri Oracle

posted on Nov, 20 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Hi! I decided to look this up after watching the Ancient Aliens presentation last Thursday on the History channel, season two. In my opinion these caves were a huge secret revealed. I had never heard of them before the last half century. Those people must have been extremely scared of some attacker... be it alien or others. Or were the people were escaping some geological problem such as avolcanic disterbance, an ice age, asteriod impacts, diseases, ect..? This revelation of this city for 30,000 underground on the show was HUGE. The show said the security doors were only operational from the inside. I vote alien attackers. I just saw that Skyline movie last weekend. I see the whole Ancient Aliens series as disclosure, and it is raising the stubborn public's awareness. Although I'd say most people dwell in denial. I wish someone could put some pictures of the cave on this thread.
So that others could see this amazing city.

posted on Dec, 1 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   

In order to escape from Roman invasions during the 7th century, the Christians of the region built complete underground cities. Some of them extending as deep as 14 stories and there the populations were able to live hidden for months. They were so well hidden that the underground cities were undiscovered until the 1960's.

im not sure where the above quote was from but the Roman Empire became Christian in 312 AD and the page you linked has this quote

The guide explained that they were made by Christians who were trying to escape persecution by Muslims in the time of Mohammed.
so I dont think it was the Romans they were hiding from....
edit on 1-12-2010 by Versa because: (no reason given)

top topics

join