It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Right to Re-election?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
So I had CNN on in the background a couple hours ago. They were doing a pump-piece about ol' Bill Clinton. Y'know, talking about what an awesome guy he is and all. Very essential information.

Anyway, at one point they said, and I'm paraphrasing here, that Bill was Obama's "best defender of his right to be re-elected". I must confess, I did, indeed, lol.

I don't know, maybe I'm slow, but I don't recall any such right being listed in the Constitution or anywhere else. It's not even a crib note in the margain somewhere, to my knowledge. If'n I'm mistaken here, please correct me.

I don't know if this is a case of idiot news people, some kind of half-assed "subliminal" programming attempt, over-the-top Clinton adoration, or what. It did make me laugh, though, so I guess it couldn't be all bad.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that with y'all. I thought it was, if nothing else, an interesting choice of words.

Mods: I wasn't sure if this should go here, or media, or disinformation. Feel free to put it anywhere you want.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Are you sure they didn't say, "best defender of his fight to be re-elected"?

That makes much more sense.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by HostileApostle

That would make more sense.
I'm pretty sure they said "right", though.
I'd imagine the video will show up on the net somewhere pretty soon. Most CNN stuff seems to.
Then we'll know for sure.

Boy, I'd feel pretty silly, wouldn't I?

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
It would probably have been more appropriate to say Obama has the right to seek re-election, which isn't explicitly given in the constitution but it's definitely not forbidden.

Until the 22nd amendment following FDR's presidency, there was no ban on running for a third term.

Another interesting thing from that interview was when Piers started talking about how it's too bad Bill Clinton himself couldn't run for a third term, and Bill pointed out that he could theoretically run for the President of Ireland or France but isn't interested.

Clinton said that maybe down the road, as people live longer lifespans, it might be considered that a President could run for a third term after sitting out for some years following their second.

But, as to your original question, any America citizen who fits the age guidelines really has the right to run for office.
edit on 9/26/2012 by PatrickGarrow17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by PatrickGarrow17
But, as to your original question, any America citizen who fits the age guidelines really has the right to run for office.

Absolutely. But, after being elected once, does that give the right to be re-elected?
That would mean, to me, that not re-electing an official would then be a violation of his rights, and that can't be right.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by subject x

No, there is absolutely no right to re-election.

Although, incumbent winning percentage in Congress might suggest otherwise

If it were a right, it's getting violated a lot less than some of the more fundamental and legitimate ones

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by PatrickGarrow17
Although, incumbent winning percentage in Congress might suggest otherwise

Hey, y'know, maybe that's where they got the idea in the first place.
They saw it so much, they just assumed it was a right.

Interesting...

top topics

join