It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paul Ryan vs. The Stench

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Paul Ryan vs. The Stench

Paul Ryan has gone rogue. He is unleashed, unchained, off the hook.

“I hate to say this, but if Ryan wants to run for national office again, he’ll probably have to wash the stench of Romney off of him,” Craig Robinson, a former political director of the Republican Party of Iowa, told The New York Times on Sunday.
Though Ryan had already decided to distance himself from the floundering Romney campaign, he now feels totally uninhibited. Reportedly, he has been marching around his campaign bus, saying things like, “If Stench calls, take a message” and “Tell Stench I’m having finger sandwiches with Peggy Noonan and will text him later.”

Looks like there is trouble in paradise with Romney and Ryan. But who is to blame? Is Romney pulling down Ryan, or was Ryan such a bust that Romney is trying to marginalize Ryan?

It seems like Ryan is caught in the Romney machine and is on a tight leesh. Remember when Ryan got boo'd about Obamacare? Guess who made him make those comments to a group of people that support Obamacare, that's right, the Romney campaign. Not even his mother could protect him.

Even before the stench article appeared, there was a strong sign that Ryan was freeing himself from the grips of the Romney campaign. It began after his disastrous appearance on Friday before AARP in New Orleans. Ryan delivered his remarks in the style dictated by his Romney handlers: Stand behind the lectern, read the speech as written and don’t stray from the script.

Ryan brought his 78-year-old mother with him and introduced her to the audience, which is usually a sure crowd pleaser.

But when Ryan began talking about repealing “Obamacare” because he said it would harm seniors, one woman in the crowd shouted, “Lie!” Another shouted “Liar!” and the crowd booed Ryan lustily.

Ryan has also been busy buying Ad time in his home district for his re-election campaign for the HOR. It doesn't show a lot of confidence in your chances to win when you start campaigning for your back up election.

I think the problem is that Romney and Ryan don't really agree on much. Ryan was the "safe" pick for VP, so of course that is why Romney went for it. But what happens in the VP debate when Ryan starts anwering honestly and goes against most of Romney's positions? Because that is the only way he comes out even in the debates. If he sticks with the Romney campaign talking points, he loses the debate big time.

And I'll end with this, a clip of a crowd in Ohio chanting "Ryan...Ryan". And Romney unsuccessfully tries to get them to chant "Romney, Ryan, Romney, Ryan".

How embarrassing

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by HostileApostle

I am reminded of the 2008 election. I wonder if the movie will do as well as Game Change... I LOVE that movie and have commented several times how I would love to be a fly on the wall of Romney's campaign these days.

Game Change Wins 4 Emmys

I think Romney picked Ryan to help his faltering campaign, but as the article implies, Romney is just bringing Ryan down. Ryan should quit while he's ahead. If he hopes to keep his political career intact, he should distance himself from the total disaster that Romney is turning out to be.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I think Romney picked Ryan to help his faltering campaign, but as the article implies, Romney is just bringing Ryan down.

Definately. I totally agree. Ryan understands economics. Romney doesn't.
Ryan has personality. Romney doesn't. Ryan is better spoken. Romney isn't.
Romney had to get someone with some 'ZIP' to counter Romney's cardboard personality.

Ryan should quit while he's ahead.

He can't. That would kill his political career. He has to see it to the end. If he plays the
good republican party member now, then in 2016 when Chris Christie gets elected,
Ryan will be rewarded with a cabinet position of some kind. That's my guess ...

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Here you go again. I have followed enough of your posts to know your agenda.
Sly you are!

2nd line.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Great points.

It certainly seems on the surface that Paul Ryan is immensely popular with all fiscal conservatives. Romney did get a big boost after selecting Ryan to run on his platform. At this point, I honestly think anything associated with Mitt Romney is going down the tank. That includes the GOP in general. Romney has basically exposed the current GOP in all of its scams and he has done so in a very insulting manner. I can't see Mitt Romney doing much of anything within future politics. I do think Ryan will still have a successful future in whatever he desires to do. He is young and has strong support which will probably grow during Obama's second term as the right continues to look for anyone popular.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Oh, oh, honeymoon's over. I was wondering how this arranged marriage would turn out.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by desert

That makes a lot of sense! It doesn't follow that the Koch brothers would support someone with the liberal and wishy-washy past of Mitt Romney without a good reason. Supporting Ryan makes MUCH more sense.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Oh yes, I can't wait for the tell all books and movies that come out of the Romney campaign.

It's going to be hard to top Game Change and the train wreck known as Palin, but I think it will be slightly more real world drama instead of just a comedic train wreck.

And I think Romney picked Ryan because he was a safe conservative pick and he thought it would help solidify the base behind him. However, it hasn't done that, Romney has stifled Ryan and all that is happening is that Ryan is falling along with Romney. It will be hard for him to quit at this point, but I think what he can do is simply focus more and more on his re-election and less on openly supporting Romney.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

I heard this story yesterday on MSNBC. I work at home and have the TV on in the background most of the day. I don't really pay much attention to the noise, but sometimes, I stop and listen.

MSNBC, of course, leans (forward hehe) Democratic, and when I heard about Ryan calling Romney "The Stench" I called BS!

But then they had some GOB big shot on, don't know who or when, referred to Ryan as (he would make) "a good president" not "vice" president. At first I thought it was just a slip, but he did it again about 2 minutes later.

Maybe the GOP is hoping/pushing for a Ryan 2016 campaign.
edit on 26-9-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by spinalremain

Actually, the Romney bump from Ryan was a bust. Not even in his home state did he get a lasting bump, Wisconsin is nearly double digit for Obama now.

And I'm not sure how well Ryan will do in the future. The VP of a losing ticket doesn't have a great track record. Some of the blame will be put on him for losing the election, for not being able to win his home state or bringing energy to other swing states. And of course there will be the ugly fallout after the election where all the campaign insiders will start spilling secrets all over the place. Depending on what comes out of that, it could be really damaging for Ryan in the long run.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I saw this video clip on the news yesterday and this thread reminded me of it. This is at a campaign rally and the crowd is chanting "Ryan, Ryan..." and then Romney interrupts the crowd to remind them to chant "Romney/Ryan..."

On topic, I'm not so sure that the Republican Party would be in better shape if Ryan was running for POTUS. I really don't think it would matter who the GOP put on their ticket; the problem is not with the candidates so much as it is with the GOP itself. With each day that passes, they seem to alienate more and more segments of the US population. It's not Romney doing it, per say, it's the GOP candidate doing what he is told and pandering to a loud extrimist minority within their party. It's turning off the moderates and, in some cases, it's turning off life long Republicans.
edit on 26-9-2012 by LeatherNLace because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Ryan was a fool for taking the VP ticket. He loses any credibility he had with his supporters by running with an historical Liberal Conservative.

The problem is, the GOP is split three ways.

1, Ron Paul supporters (will either not vote or write in Ron Paul).
2, Tea Party (Fox news stooges who want Corporations not Government running the country).
3, Old school GOP (have no idea what happened to their party).

After the election the GOP will have to reinvent itself, probably after all the Tea party candidates lose their seats, and they will have to kick Ron Paul out. He claims to be a Libertarian so let him go and join that party.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by desert
Oh, oh, honeymoon's over. I was wondering how this arranged marriage would turn out.

I bet Romney isn't very happy that someone richer than him is pulling the strings and gets to boss him around.

I think Romney is used to being the one that uses his money to get his way, not the other way around. I wonder if the Koch brothers have kept their promise, or if they see the sinking ship and are spending their money in different places?

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

F&S for the OP.

In my book, this is just another example of how quickly the GOP will turn on one of their own once they know he has exposed their agenda and becomes a losing candidate. Remember how quickly they jumped off Todd Akin's boat just as soon as he openly discussed their true agenda with the media?

I too saw this story on Rachael Maddow Show last night and I was immediately reminded of the Palin debacle, but in this case I think it's "the blind leading the blind." Both Romney and Ryan are doomed to failure and neither one can blame the other. It has more to do with the modern day far right ideology of the GOP that they are attempting to promote than it does with either of them personally. I've even heard them beginning to place the blame on Romney for what appears to be a good possibility that the republicans will lose the House.

When will they understand that what's going on here is NOT about the candidate or the economy? "It's about the Mentality, stupid."

At this point, I'm not sure there's anything that could be done to revive the GOP, it seems they've just gone off the cliff. Yeah, the very same cliff they drove our economy off of prior to Bush leaving office.

I'm telling you, it's over! We're witnessing the twilight of the Elite and the modern day GOP. We may witness the birth of a new political party in the future, but if it attempts to retain the mainstream values of the current GOP, it too will be doomed to failure.

I think that the GOP and their elitist mentality have made the very same mistake made by Japan when they attacked Pearl Harbor. They have awoken a sleeping giant, the American people.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Geez man! It's bad enough our country has become polarized and divided over this joke of a process....but now...hell the geezers of the GOP can't even hold a unified front on their side of the divide! Pretty damn state of affairs in this country.

We just clamor around and shout "kill" like the bread bought mobs of the Roman games...never stopping to remember what it means to be a human being...all that is important is we get the fleeting sense we have won something....and what we have really done is lose...loss of civility, loss of humanity...loss of hope.

People that do not understand that a country divided can not stand...will not understand what happened when it all falls apart...freedom and prosperity will die and they will just look at their feet in shame....

Republicans:

Democrats:

The result:

edit on 26-9-2012 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by BritofTexas

The problem is, the GOP is split three ways.

1, Ron Paul supporters (will either not vote or write in Ron Paul).
2, Tea Party (Fox news stooges who want Corporations not Government running the country).
3, Old school GOP (have no idea what happened to their party).

This is very true and it is in fact the biggest problem facing Republicans today. Either way they go, they are going to offend or disagree with a faction of their party.

So when you think of it that way, Romney was the logical choice. Because he has no problem molding his views to match whoever he is talking to. He can be a Birther when it is called for, try to be a Libertarian at times, and then be the traditional Republican if need be. He is a shape shifter, but people aren't as dumb as Romney thinks they are and so each faction in the party sees exactly what he is doing and are put off by it.

This is why we see cases of hard core republicans saying they aren't going to be able to vote for Romney.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I think Romney picked Ryan to help his faltering campaign, but as the article implies, Romney is just bringing Ryan down.

Definately. I totally agree. Ryan understands economics. Romney doesn't.
Ryan has personality. Romney doesn't. Ryan is better spoken. Romney isn't.
Romney had to get someone with some 'ZIP' to counter Romney's cardboard personality.

Ryan should quit while he's ahead.

He can't. That would kill his political career. He has to see it to the end. If he plays the
good republican party member now, then in 2016 when Chris Christie gets elected,
Ryan will be rewarded with a cabinet position of some kind. That's my guess ...

Christie won't make it to 2016. He is a walking heart attack. Seriously. I also think after this election it will take Ryan years to rehabilitate his reputation and he'll never win national office. He is toxic to the senior vote and I think part of why Romney has is losing the aged 65 and older voter lead of 20 points ahead he had pre-convention to just 4 points ahead now. Maybe senator in his 50s. Now that people were paying attention, his slights of rhetoric did no longer go unnoticed relative to his actual votes during the Bush years.
edit on 26-9-2012 by pajoly because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinalremain
Great points.

It certainly seems on the surface that Paul Ryan is immensely popular with all fiscal conservatives. Romney did get a big boost after selecting Ryan to run on his platform. At this point, I honestly think anything associated with Mitt Romney is going down the tank. That includes the GOP in general. Romney has basically exposed the current GOP in all of its scams and he has done so in a very insulting manner. I can't see Mitt Romney doing much of anything within future politics. I do think Ryan will still have a successful future in whatever he desires to do. He is young and has strong support which will probably grow during Obama's second term as the right continues to look for anyone popular.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Actually, he did not get a boost. His polling gained only 1 point, worse than even the bump McCain got from Palin and the worst since Bush 41 chose Quayle. Ryan only shored up the far Right base. Independents have learned they don't much care for Ryan. His convention speech was a disaster to his reputation.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

I agree with everything you said.

The fact is that people, even long time Republicans are starting to see the GOP for what they really are. And it is mostly the fault of Romney, he is saying things he shouldn't be saying.

For example, at a recent rally, Romney is talking about lowering taxes on the "middle class", but then turns right around and tells them not to expect much relief though because he is taking away a lot of the deductions that they enjoy now. It's not good when people leaving your rally who supposedly support you walk away with a question about exactly what allowable deductions is Romney going to take away from them.

I don't think Romney has a filter from his brain to his mouth, if he thinks it, it seems like he is going to say it.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Has no one seen that this whole thing is a hoax, a joke?

Clearly, a disaster for the Romney campaign, right? No, it was apparently a clumsy attempt at satire gone horribly awry.

As Ben Smith of Buzzfeed, a former Politico blogger, tweeted: "So uh a lot of people seem not to have picked up that @politicoroger's column was satire." Put more succinctly by conservative blogger JammieWearingFool: "Satire should actually be funny."

Or, at least it should be pretty obvious. There is no underestimating the literal-mindedness of the American reader: Years ago when I worked at the Times we published a satirical op-ed column by Steve Martin riffing on the idea that a NASA Mars probe had discovered millions of kittens on the Red Planet. Shortly thereafter, a subscriber sent a terse letter to the editor asking us to "inform your science correspondent" that the lack of oxygen on Mars made kitten infestation highly unlikely.

www.bloomberg.com...

So when you guys put in a call to Curiosity, have it bring back a couple of kittens for me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join