It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers Manipulate Neurons in Worms' Brains and Take Control of Their Behavior

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Now scientist have seemingly found a way to control the mind of a worm and its actions...

In the quest to understand how the brain turns sensory input into behavior, Harvard scientists have crossed a major threshold.
Using precisely-targeted lasers, researchers have been able to take over an animal's brain, instruct it to turn in any direction they choose, and even to implant false sensory information, fooling the animal into thinking food was nearby.

Caenorhabditis elegans, adult hermaphrodite

This seems all a bit scary to me... We have already seen the effects of mind control e.g. MKUltra, and disturbingly in years to come, scientists may also crack the human brain and be able to control the mind of a human and his/her actions.

This gave me the heebie jeebies....

"If we can understand simple nervous systems to the point of completely controlling them, then it may be a possibility that we can gain a comprehensive understanding of more complex systems," Ramanathan said. "This gives us a framework to think about neural circuits, how to manipulate them, which circuit to manipulate and what activity patterns to produce in them .

www.sciencedaily.com...

Ooft, that just creeps me out to the core...! It might be decades away at least, but still the thought of it.

In scientific terms, yes its an incredible breakthrough. But, as long as it stays out of dangerous hands...

peace
fluffx
edit on 26-9-2012 by fluff007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by fluff007

Does this mean we could actually play worm's in real life? I'd prefer we play worm's than sims.

I don't think it would be that far off though, usually if we are hearing about it, chances are it was invented in the 60's. I might have to start designing a tin foil hat

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Samuelis

Lool..!

yeah maybe a tin foil hat isn't a bad idea..! i can certainly say that i for one am not looking forward to the day a thread is made about;

Researchers Manipulate Neurons in Mans Brains and Take Control of Their Behavior....

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
This is more of a deception than physically controlling the neuron in its synapse.

Controlling should be move parts of the body at will. which is only possible if there is a direct link to the nerves or adding certain chemicals to fire off the neurons and act certain way.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

I saw this yesterday on Facebook. I was going to post it too. You beat me to it. =)

Cool stuff but creepy just the same.

S+F

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by kisharninmah

LOL..!

sorry...! you have to be quick on ATS to get a thread up ..!

i put two up today that were already being discussed... even though i did a search using the ATS search neither showed up..! i am getting mightily hacked off with the ATS search - this has happened to me a few times before and i ALWAYS search....
oh well..

yep i agree with the latter of your post - but what can we do should it go too far..?

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

I don't know. It's a scary thought. It could be used as a weapon maybe. It could fall into the wrong hands. Everything is developing so fast. There should be a larger ethics committee on these types of things. Just because we can do something doesn't mean we should.

They say it is important for understanding how the nervous system works. I don't know if I buy that. And really, what benefit could there possibly be?

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by kisharninmah

i agree with you 100%..!

And really, what benefit could there possibly be?

i was thinking that earlier... well the benefit to them, would be that they could control a large or maybe even mass amount of people by using lasers. lets keep our fingers crossed that it never comes to that..!

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by fluff007
In scientific terms, yes its an incredible breakthrough. But, as long as it stays out of dangerous hands...

aaaaaaaaaaaaHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAAA!!!
oh maaan!.. phew!

had me roffling for awhile...

lol... "as long as it stays out of dangerous hands"

you DO realize you're on EARTH right??

new topics

top topics

join