It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Hubble Goes to the eXtreme to Assemble Farthest-Ever View of the Universe

page: 1
5

log in

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
hi all

thought this was a pretty impressive pic...!




Like photographers assembling a portfolio of best shots, astronomers have assembled a new, improved portrait of mankind's deepest-ever view of the universe.

Called the eXtreme Deep Field, or XDF, the photo was assembled by combining 10 years of NASA Hubble Space Telescope photographs taken of a patch of sky at the center of the original Hubble Ultra Deep Field. The XDF is a small fraction of the angular diameter of the full moon.


i think the technology that made this possible is incredible..! who knows maybe one day we will be able to travel to that part of the universe..


peace
fluffx




posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Great Thread! Awesome infomation. Just mind-boggling. How far will Hubble be able to go or more importantly, how much further does the universe extend beyond this point?

I love Hubble. I saw a movie in 3D Imax and it totally changed how I looked at Space and the Space Program-pre POTUS Obama.

Check out this thread I did on it back then. Funny, I just looked at it myself in the first time in a long time. Still feel the same. It had that big of affect on me. One of my, if not the first, applauses.
)

I just saw the Hubble Telescope IMAX 3D Movie: worth every penny (2 ways)
www.abovetopsecret.com...



posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by fluff007
 


The mind boggling things in that picture is that, all those galaxies in that above picture is only 1cmx1cm square part of the sky from human view lol.



posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
reply to post by fluff007
 


The mind boggling things in that picture is that, all those galaxies in that above picture is only 1cmx1cm square part of the sky from human view lol.

I think it is actually smaller than even that. The little box marked 'XDF" in the image below is the extent of the OP's image:


Image Source


But, yeah -- your point is well taken. That image represents only a miniscule portion of the universe, The amount of sky in that image is only one 24-MILLIONTH of the entire sky. Multiply what we see in that image by 24 million if you want to get an idea of the size of the universe. This was taken in a tiny, tiny area of the sky that looked simply "black".

By the way, virtually every one of those dots is a separate galaxy. They intentionally picked a part of the sky that they could peer between the stars of our galaxy.

Mind boggling indeed.


edit on 9/26/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by fluff007
i think the technology that made this possible is incredible..! who knows maybe one day we will be able to travel to that part of the universe..


peace
fluffx


Great find! But, these worlds probably do not exist anymore. Think of a light year. When something would crash into our sun, we would be able to watch it ~7 or ~8 minutes afterwards. We take a look into the past, everytime we look at space.


CX

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
They just had an astronomy professor on Sky talking about this......he was saying that the view in that pic is so far back, it's giving us a view of what the universe looked like about half a million years after the Big Bang.

He then went on to say about the next camera that's being build that will be able to look even deeper into space.

Just think, one day we may even get a view of the big bang itself?

Hard to think of it like time travel, but i guess it is.

CX.



posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by CX
 


Maybe I´m the one confused because I smoked.
If earth is away from the "center" and the light from big bang is supposed to reach us after it happened, this means earth must have been here before the light of the big bang, thats a paradox or not?

I mean, I do not question the fact that the light we see traveled for some time and that those events are in the past but at this time, big bang was long over. And then, wouldnt it just be a bright flash and all kinds of radiation?



posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72
 


thanks


i try not to even comprehend how mind boggling it all is... it hurts my brain..!
and after studying a module last year of my course called 'Quarks to Quasars' - that sent me down the rabbit hole far enough..!

it still fascinates me so, and the fact this image is showing what the universe WAS like - maybe one day we will be able to take present pictures of the universe..!



posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by CX
 





Just think, one day we may even get a view of the big bang itself?




now thats sent my brain into hyper speed..! ooohh i wonder if theres any chance at all that i might be able to see that in my life time - i truly hope so. what an incredible sight that would be....?!?!


CX

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by StareDad
reply to post by CX
 


Maybe I´m the one confused because I smoked.
If earth is away from the "center" and the light from big bang is supposed to reach us after it happened, this means earth must have been here before the light of the big bang, thats a paradox or not?

I mean, I do not question the fact that the light we see traveled for some time and that those events are in the past but at this time, big bang was long over. And then, wouldnt it just be a bright flash and all kinds of radiation?


Not sure, i'm as confused as you are lol....hopefully some of the more knowledgable here can make sense of it all.

CX.


CX

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by fluff007
reply to post by CX
 





Just think, one day we may even get a view of the big bang itself?




now thats sent my brain into hyper speed..! ooohh i wonder if theres any chance at all that i might be able to see that in my life time - i truly hope so. what an incredible sight that would be....?!?!




Thats what they were implying on telly earlier. Sounds pretty cool doesn't it
Again, maybe someone with more knowledge on how it all works can chip in with confirmation of whether or not his would be possible.

CX.



new topics

top topics



 
5

log in

join