It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CONFIRMED: Salt cavern below sinkhole has failed

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Thank you for looking at the charts. I know that the drills are causing some of the activity that is recorded but the rolling line has me confused. I don't know.... gas bubbles????

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

A large majority of the families living near there have had that land in their families for generations. You really expect people to give up their land they have been having for decades when some corp starts mining for salt domes nearby? Things don't work that way in real life. People can't just up and leave as they please.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SeenAlot

Yes it would be horrible to hear that it went off and then all of our members from that area are never heard from again. MOVE NOW!

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Sporatux

WEll all those die hard families need to get some of their younger family OUT. That AND have HUGE insurance policies made out to those young family members they support to move "just in case".

It would be great to hear from locals what the insurance companies want for policies in the direct vicinity of the sink hole.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by AuntB

The rolling line, if you are referring to the line that looks like a wave, is interference on the seismo.

I don't see anything on any of the seismos that I would identify as an earthquake, and I have also downloaded part of the day and converted it to sound and I don't hear anything like earthquakes on it.

What I do see is signals that at first I though were traffic, but yesterday I could only get data from LA01 and being as it is reasonably close to the road I thought it might be that.

LA01.GS.00.BHZ.2012.271

Today however the LA03 and LA08 seismos are available and the pattern at LA08 is similar, but since these are equidistant from the road it probably means that the signals at LA01 are in fact brine operations or similar. Unfortunately LA02 is not available today and that, being in a residential area, would help to confirm.

One thing is absolutely certain is that virtually everything on the seismograms is cultural noise.

ETA: Actually not strictly true as the wavy lines at the top are the 6.4 in Alaska

edit on 27/9/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
As a Louisianan, I've been following the story pretty closely. First of all, the "giant explosion" theory is highly improbable even if the butane well is compromised. And there will certainly be no nuclear type blast
These are sensationalist stories by blogs to gain web clicks and make advertising dollars. Those "activist" blogs live and die financially according to page views, so the more sensationalist the better.

It is definitely not a good situation, though. Clearly it will have a negative effect on the people in the immediate area. It is not good for the environment in that immediate area but it's not the end of the world.

The secrecy surrounding the story does not stem from government conspiracy but from big money legal/liability issues. The Texas brine company does not want to be liable to the state for the environmental damage or to the citizens who will justifiably sue. The accusations that nearby fracking is the ultimate cause are shaky at best, but the brine company is seeking to pin the legal liability on other companies if they can. Call it an alliance of environmentalists and an environmental destroyer in the name of a common cause. One wants to pin the blame on fracking to avoid liability and severe monetary loss. The other is more concerned with the fracking industry as a whole more than anything else so will support the polluting giant as a matter of ideological convenience.

But to sum up:
No dramatic explosions
It will negatively effect many locals (which is a shame)
There are heavily exaggerated claims being made by internet sources because that is what internet sources do.
The company likely at fault is trying to avoid liability
Anti-fracking activists join likely guilty company because it better fits their agenda

(Side note: This isn't a pro-fracking post. I just haven't seen a single shred of real evidence, other than the speculative, that fracking is the culprit on this one)
edit on 27-9-2012 by pierregustavetoutant because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by supertrot
I have been following this story for a while. I keep reading about all of the seismic activity that caused the dome to collapse and all of the earthquakes that it has created by collapsing. Why has the USGS not listed one quake for that area in months? Everything I read say the quakes are minor (1- 3 magnitude); but, there are not even any one-pointers listed.

From what I understand, any quake considered to be man-made, such as one caused by drilling, is not included on the USGS and is only considered a "tremor".

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

Frankly, I really don't think this will end quietly. I hope it does. That's beautiful country, and the folks are very warm.

Ive been watching this sinkhole with a concerned eye all summer. But if the land is moving with this much external stimuli (drilling), perhaps we shouldn't try this tactic again.

I know not everyone can pack up and move. But, broke as I am, I could spend my last dime getting to my mothers. Sadly, she lives in Arkansas, and that's not the direction I'd go.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by pierregustavetoutant

I don't know where you picked up your faulty logic but I would never, ever, ever support a fracking company and I am an environmentalist (sort-of).

Please, get your facts straight. You will find that fracking is not a very popular subject for environmentalists.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Here is a image from above as the sinkhole compared to how close some of the communities are and the blue dots are a few of over 10 spots that have been confirmed to be bubbling.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
October 2nd article by Enenews
New flyover footage shows grass road is dissolving into giant Louisiana sinkhole

Some of the comments at the bottom are quite interesting too. For example this one....by Cataclysmic

October 2, 2012 at 1:07 pm Log in to Reply
Goat trail maybe..road, no. But they are bugging out.. so, one must consider that Texas Brine no longer feels safe on the pad, which had been full of equipment, vehicles and people.. all gone..

now THAT would worry me as there is always new stuff to investigate in a crisis like this, so why would they leave ? (if they have indeed left that area) I can only think that they want to save their equipment if the whole thing goes up and if they know something they are not disclosing, then they will be the ones to move their equipment out. Of course, as a conspiracy theorists, I would say that they would give some other reason for moving out!

The Crisimapped website following the Bayou "crisis" is only a proof of concept website (so it is not really a "crisis" at the moment but just one that I selected as an event which may be a good one to test the site.) It does not pretend to be either permanent or wonderful - yet. However, I am investigating the problems Trexter Ziam and others may be having with it, and I suspect it may be browser related (not sure though). It appears to work in Firefox and Opera & windows PC version of safari. The crisis code is set in the background and should be moved from page to page so that the program 'knows' which crisis you are following, so I dont really understand why it is not working - unless there is some anonymous browsing program running on your web browser perhaps? That may mess up the background linking to one crisis code perhaps.

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by VaterOrlaag

My "faulty" logic is proven 100% accurate over and over and over again throughout history. All ideological movements commit treason against their often fanatical anti-logic in order to justify their radical , and rarely accurate claims. The alliance being made is between an irresponsible polluter and environmentalists because they have common cause- pinning the blame on fracking helps both parties. 6000 years of human history also shows that common enemies create strange bedfellows.

Honestly, this is serious problem - for a small amount of people. People I happen to care about. However, on a national scale, this is small potatoes. Leave this Louisiana problem to Louisianans. In other words, we'd prefer not to be some pet cause for "holier than thou", agenda driven radicals. It will be dealt with and most people will live and die without ever having heard of the "Assumption Parish sinkhole"

The genuine culprits- the brine co. and a few local politicians- will be dealt with. If oil and gas companies truly are at fault, they will be dealt with too.
edit on 2-10-2012 by pierregustavetoutant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
today, Friday the 26th of oct. 2012, there is reported another cavern collapse just SE of the main sinkhole...
well deduced from the seisemic signature of the quake last night..

here i think that the prediction that the Great Lakes will empty into the Gulf of Mexico is presently underway

first with the collapsing of the mined salt dome caverns in Lousiania
Next will be the unexpected collapses of the scores of mammoth sized salt caverns in many places under the Great Lakes....from Chicago to Detroit to Lake Erie

see these related items:

www.examiner.com...

There is no cookbook," he stated matter-of-factly. "There’s not even any decent case studies people how to proceed when you’ve had a cavern collapse 5,00 feet below ground, you’ve had to frack out to the surface in the form of a sinkhole, and you have natural gas and crude oil coming in and bubbling up all over.

theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com...

www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

see a map/graphic of the greatlakes-gulf of mexice inland sea here:
www.scribd.com...

www.youtube.com...
prediction? that lake michigan will be relocated by 2035...a 2 minute YouTube

The waters of the lakes (Great Lakes) will empty into the Gulf (of Mexico), rather than the waterway over which such discussions have been recently made (St. Lawrence Seaway). It would be well if the waterway were prepared, but not for that purpose for which it is at present being considered.

www.thecityedition.com...

between the reawakening Madrid Fault, the collapse of scores of huge underground salt caverns...
it seems clear that a catastrophe is slowly building momentum...
will 2012 be assigned the year that changed the landmass of America, as Cayce predicted ??

i think that the opening article... stating that we are in uncharted territory on just how to thwart the coming calamity of a new inland sea from Lake Michigan to the Gulf of Mexico ...

just for starters why doesn't the USGS or Corps of Engineers deliberately flood all these salt caverns that were mined out of salt domes... that woul at least fill in the cavities that would collapse and thus reduce the other effects that the collapses would do to the terrain

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join