It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More than 100,000 protesting in Madrid, Spain - Surrounding/Occupy the Parliament (UPDATED)

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by discolo
reply to post by Vaedur

There you go, you let the "cat out of the bag" and someone acted on it.
Incidently CAN anyone see my posts? Im in SPAIN FFS but it's like im being ignored.

I can see your posts.

The media is doing as it's told and hiding what is happening in Spain. It makes no since for them to hide it when you think about how they make their money on viewers, and riots and protests get views. If you think about ti that way that means something has to be ether paying for it to be hidden or applying presser so that it is.
I've seen media blackouts on small scale stuff but never this large be for, not in my life time at least.

I'd like to point out that all the media outlets I have checked do have an article on the protest / riot. But it's small and hidden off the main pages. This makes since if you want to put a time stamp on the article so that you can claim that you did do an article on the topic, but keep it out of site. Also the articles I've seen are very small and no real note on what is going on. The one on CNN I've seen changed twice already.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmallAxe
I can't believe there aren't more here at ATS talking about this! I searched and this is the only thread, with only a couple people here? With everything going on across the globe of late, I must admit I'm not up with the particulars of Spain's current situation. But this seems like a potentially big deal, no? I only heard about this from a Spanish friend here in the US who posted same vid to FB.
Is this a similar situation to what Greece has been going through? Or has Spain found it's own unique way to get shafted by their Gov't?

Dear SmallAxe

Spanish politics are very complicated. People are terribly segmented and separated. Part of people are coming into real poverty. But, by the other hand there's segments that tax increasing or falling wages not affects at all (mostly not young people) as still has savings or properties (real-estate) -even today highly overrated- and can resist all of this.

You see here as a result of the wanton violence stemming from a monstrous housing bubble.....

young versus elderly

public employees versus private employees

"liberal" versus "socialdemocrats"

nationalist versus regionalists .......

regions that want independence but can not pay salaries of officials and attend the central state of emergency loans (that's not a joke)

an incredible amount of unproductive public office, living off from wages from 3,000 to 6,000 euros, because they hold client networks that are already dead..... a new graduate, well educated, with a language, you can now earn about 800 euros ... and that's if you're lucky enough to have a job (and surely being a brown tongue).....

Spanish politicians want to avoid or delay a bailout to cover up cases of corruption that could lead to powerful people to jail and seize their assets

WE. SPANISH:

the highest number politicians (including advisors)

over 22,500 cars for senior officers (this figure may be higher than in all of the USA)

taxes (tax effort) Europe's highest

the worst market management (public companies). Internet and electricity more expensive in Europe

highest rentals - most expensive houses in Europe (compared to wages).

so we, you can see.

Spain's problem is political about everything.

Not only banks can loan sharks. There are many ways to be usurious. There is a kind of anti-liberal usurer gene that infects everything.

Spain is blocked by this disease.
No businesses. Only usury ...... live off, although the country is sinking.

I'll tell you a simple way the Spanish one is laughing at the other ..... but no matter, people watch football on TV and heard, we are world champions

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by AllIsOne
reply to post by AutOmatIc

You are morally correct, but some protesters did break the law. The police's job is to enforce the law. Nothing more, nothing less. It's not protecting the people.

The protesters need to be smarter and win the police over to their side. Unfortunately, there is a lack of leadership.

I think you are confusing the corporate Law Enforcement Officer (tax collector's pitbull) with the Peace Officer.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
My heart is with all the Spanish people who dare to take # to the street!

I´m in Holland and none of the msm has any major report on it, as far as I could see/find.

In the paper "Algemeen Dagblad", one of the biggest, there´s a story from the 25th, of which the following is an excerpt:

Terwijl buiten meer dan 1300 agenten de circa 3000 betogers in bedwang hielden, ging de vergadering in het parlementsgebouw ongestoord door.

Translation: "While there were more than 1300 cops outside controlling the approximately 3000 protestors, the meeting in the parliament went on, undisturbed."

Seriously? 3000 protestors?

The biggest paper in Holland called De Telegraaf, uses the exact same article, word for word. They both used the Dutch ANP as a source, which is closely affiliated with Reuters and sells stories to major newspapers.

I think it´s an outrage that this is not getting the deserved attention!
edit on 27/9/2012 by RationalDespair because: typo

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
As far as the weak news coverage goes, one of the best tools, to see what's going on in the world, is an FTA Satellite Box with a 30" dish and a low band Ku LNB. It's a lot simpler than most people think, and many don't even know it exists. They aren't even that expensive.

Thousands of free channels, as well as live news-feeds from all over the world. You won't, however, see a TV commercial advertising them, especially here in the U.S., because they want to sell you what you watch.

I didn't catch the Spain stuff, but when Greece got lively there wasn't a peep on any major site either.

Here's a 30 minute chunk, and the action starts at about the 12 minute mark to give you an idea what you get in real-time, before it gets "edited". Have to be careful though, more than once, in the past, I've said "He just died". You don't get used to that.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Unsure if I'm allowed to link to liveleak, but this is a shocking video of the spanish police beating teenage girls and helpless students www.liveleak.com...

www.liveleak.com...

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Anyone else get the feeling that this story is being buried everywhere? I've seen 3 threads about the protest, and lots of links showing a media blackout or the media spinning the story.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ObjectZero

This is a link to my local spanish newspaper,
the Judge Pedraz wants to charge all the people who have been arrested with more serious offences. thus bypassing the ordinary courts or just giving a protestor a warning for public disturbance. he wants to charge them with attempted murder etc. thus keeping them all locked up. And perpetuating the idea that the protestors were all a violent rabble. They want to make a new law that Anyone arrested at a protest immediately get a 5 year sentence.
Although there is not much available, what is available is danming stuff for the gov and police in the media.

The night of the riot we watched it on RT and RNE the main spanish channel, they had to show pretty much the same thing because the cops were whacking people everywhere the camera pointed.
But now on the telly they just keep showing the cop getting kicked as if thats what started it.

Ideal is pretty good as a paper though, Journalists here have more "honour" than most of the rest of the worlds media. particularly the press. It's a throwback to Franco. where they really had to watch what they said.
www.ideal.es... /batalla-judicial-sobre-imputacion-201209270020.html
edit on 27-9-2012 by discolo because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-9-2012 by discolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by discolo

Thanks for the update. Local media here is the US only talks a little about protest / riot in Greece.

If this keeps up, in a few days no one is going to ever know what happened or the real reason why.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by JimIrie

Is this playing in the background there??

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pedro4077
Sadley there is not an Obama, Romney, Clinton or James Holmes mentioned in this thread - so it is not of any interest to American ATSers?

This is the revolution of the people.

I really cant think of a reason why presidents are even relevant to this. Change doesnt come from presidents.

edit on 27-9-2012 by Bodhi911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

And who's inciting violence again?

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Can you show me an example when peaceful protests changed a society? People like Luther King did change a society though, but those were different times. And he was killed for it.

I think sometimes violence is needed, because if people are just going to stand on a street corner and get 20 seconds of air time in the media before people go to bed, its not going to change anything.

There are times when revolutions are needed. When nothing else works. You ask why protest when there is no money to get. Do money just disappear into thin air and nobody is responsible? If so, can I be one of those people who just say im sorry and get bailed out?

edit on 27-9-2012 by Bodhi911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by VerboetGladio

first off,

HOLA! saludos desde Asturias!

Second, You say the police are the ones provoking the violence....Many people in other major protests say the same thing. I overheard my customers in a small cafe talking about how they agree with your assessment of how it started.

Do you think that there could be a false flag/ golpe de estado brewing? Maybe not just in Spain, but a coordinated coup de tat that would make the newly proposed EU military seem necessary? That is why the police want people to lose control and go crazy?

edit on 27-9-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pedro4077
This could be the beginning of something special.

Sadley there is not an Obama, Romney, Clinton or James Holmes mentioned in this thread - so it is not of any interest to American ATSers?

Americans may not know what to say about protests going on in another country. It doesn't mean we don't care. We may in fact depend on people like you to give us information about what is happening from a different viewpoint than the MSM. Since so much of the world does not appreciate American intervention we get used to hearing a lot of anti-American sentiment any time we give an opinion.
So thank you for wondering about us and what we think.Most of us here do not want to see people suffering, and it is rather creepy seeing that the police there are pretending to be protesters in order to catch them. I guess we can expect to see that technique used here too eventually.

If you have a twitter account, you may also see Americans checking tweets coming out of this protest. I did this during the Arab spring, and it was interesting to see what was coming from different people all over the world.

Spiegel says that the protests are fueled by austerity cuts and attempts to pass tax hikes at the same time, says that unemployment is around 25 percent(maybe they are more honest than our government in counting unemployment numbers)..and a blogger says that the parliament is trying to make it so that people cannot organize online...interesting development.

edit on 27-9-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-9-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

Yeah I am an American of European decent living in Europe. I am NOT a European American. I am an American and a European. I am Iberian too, Asturian really as the rest of Spain was all conquered land at one point or another.......it gets pretty silly the more you nitpick.

We are all citizens of the world. /End dilemma.

This affects us all. If Europe has a euro spring......we are looking at hard times for the entire planet.

edit on 27-9-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
wow

thank you ev´rybody for pushing this news!

i am still reading all the posts and hope you all continue to have a look at the situation in spain.
i hope you all go on with posting new stuff to keep us all informated...

peace, love and light
let u guide by higher i

Jim Irie

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
While a couple thousand rioters is an important event, it isn't country nor life changing.

A thousand people do not represent the vast majority of millions of spanish people. Now, if there were MILLION+ or hell even 500k protesters and rioters that'd be something. That's a significant chunk of the population.

That is why mass media isn't covering this. It's not local (to the United States), and it's not a significant number of protesters. In comparison, estimates were that during the Greek Protests in 2010/2011 an estimated 500,000 people were in JUST Athens (one city among several).

Keep this in mind when discussing this growing protests. Also, Spanish protests happened last year as well.
This isn't new. I'll keep my eyes posted as the situation develops but lets not jump the gun yet.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
They're not saying much of anything about this in our media but if anyone here has the Spanish package on their cable/satellite, just watch the Spanish (from Spain) channels. They're having some coverage on there.

I got to catch a bit of it last night and they were debating who was at fault for the violence. The tv personalities were split individually, most of them saying both sides (protesters and police) were at fault. Of course, a lot of the interviews from ranking officials were claiming that it was the protesters who were causing all the ruckus. I'll watch some more tonight. To be honest, I was a bit disappointed because of a lot of the footage they were showing were pieces of vids I had already seen on here.

It's amazing but true, this site really does have the best reporting. You may have to sift through a bunch of nonsense, disinfo and disinfo agents and trolls but there are more nuggets of truth on this site than anywhere else.

new topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join