Nurse 'flushed away healthy kidney' that man had donated to his sister because she thought it was

page: 1

join

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I can not imagine what these poor siblings felt when they were told of the hospitals mistake. As a reader, I'm mad as hell at the incompetency of the staff at the hospital. Unbelievable and so sad for the patient and her brother:

A nurse accidentally flushed away a healthy human kidney while the intended recipient awaited a life-saving transplant operation.

The organ, which had been donated by the recipient's brother, was lost and the transplant had to be canceled after the mix-up at the University of Toledo Medical Center on August 10.

The nurse claims she was out of the room on a break when the surgeon told the staff that he had placed the kidney in a bag of chilled, protective slush. Believing the bag contained waste, the nurse flushed the contents down the hopper of a dirty utility sink.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

None of the names in the case were released and the hospital would not say what happened to the woman who was denied the kidney.

That detail was revealed in a review by the state for the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. It was obtained by The Associated Press through a records request. The transplant was August 10 at the University of Toledo Medical Center.

Hospital administrative staff members interviewed on August 21 hadn't determined how the nurse took the 13-gallon bag of slush, meant to extend the kidney's viability, past several members of the medical staff without them noticing a problem, the report said.

It said poor oversight and communication and insufficient policies were factors in the kidney's disposal, which prompted the voluntary, temporary suspension of the hospital's living-donor kidney transplant program and led to reviews by health officials and a consulting surgeon hired by the hospital.

The medical center suspended two nurses after the incident; one was later fired, and the other resigned, the hospital said. A surgeon was stripped of his title as director of some surgical services, and a surgical services administrator put on paid leave has resumed work.

The hospital also notified 975 patients and potential organ donors and recipients that they might need to make other arrangements for services typically provided through the program under review.

Can any one say law suit city??????

This is a clear cut case of the hospital being at fault.

I hope the young lady got her kidney and is doing okay.
Just horrible......

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

come on really is this a jike. Hosp are getting worse as the years go by. If you dont have an advocate and you are very sick in the hosp you might as well kiss your sorry ass goodbye!!!!!

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Jeeze...I'm happy the VA hospital in Nashville, TN is much more professional than this.

I'm undergoing a variety of tests leading up to a possible kidney transplant from one of my daughters. I CAN imagine what vengeful things she would do if someone tossed her kidney, that was removed for me, down the drain.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I can't say this surprises me. Have you noticed how unprofessional nurses have become over the last 20 years? Loud, rude, to name a couple of things.

Every once in a while you trip over a gem though, an older nurse who remembers what nursing is about, who remembers what the patient needs and doesn't need.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by kyred

Jeeze...I'm happy the VA hospital in Nashville, TN is much more professional than this.

I'm undergoing a variety of tests leading up to a possible kidney transplant from one of my daughters. I CAN imagine what vengeful things she would do if someone tossed her kidney, that was removed for me, down the drain.

Luckily, we don't hear too many unfortunate stories like this. Scary to say the least...

Good luck to you and yes, daughters can be extremely protective of their parents. Sounds like you're in good hands.....

PEACE

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

So I work in IT for support for a hospital (and other companies) and most of them don't even know how to turn on a computer. I get calls all the time that the computer is not working and my first question is do you see green light on the computer? No? Ok lets go ahead and press the power button... Its usually on the top or front of the machine. Ok its working now? Ok have a great day.... It is so sad but true.

Or oh you just had a quick power outage. You said the big monitor is not working? Ok there should be a power button on the side or front lets go ahead and press that. Ok its working now? Ok have a great night. Its sad and these people are the same that are supposed to give you meds? I have told everyone I work with if I am about to die please drive me to another hospital but it seems like many are the same.. How sad.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
[color=dodgerblue]Wow. This story is unbelievable! Medical malpractice, anyone?

That hospital is only about an hour from where I live, so I am surprised that I haven't heard anything about this prior to the thread here.

S&F
edit on 25-9-2012 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSource

So I work in IT for support for a hospital (and other companies) and most of them don't even know how to turn on a computer. I get calls all the time that the computer is not working and my first question is do you see green light on the computer? No? Ok lets go ahead and press the power button... Its usually on the top or front of the machine. Ok its working now? Ok have a great day.... It is so sad but true.

Or oh you just had a quick power outage. You said the big monitor is not working? Ok there should be a power button on the side or front lets go ahead and press that. Ok its working now? Ok have a great night. Its sad and these people are the same that are supposed to give you meds? I have told everyone I work with if I am about to die please drive me to another hospital but it seems like many are the same.. How sad.

What you are saying is very alarming....

Pretty bad when they can't even operate their equipment.

I know this is sorta off topic, but many mechanics have to go to classes about every 6 mos. or so to keep up to date on the new computer stuff for the cars/trucks.....

So, I would think the same should apply to the medical field as well.....just saying.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Oh ya for sure after helping most of them I am supprised as to how they could even work there. After reading this post it makes me wonder how many more hospitals are like that around the US i'm guessing most

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Reply to post by LightSource

a year and a half ago my sister inlaw went in for day surgery at a hospital in toronto, lawsuit pending so wont say, they released her in late afternoon thursday, nightime she felt really ill, called hospital, they told her and my brother inlaw that was normal and rest. she died in her sleep that night, bled to death from not one, but two puncture wounds to her abdomen. she was 42 years old and had planned on going kayaking on saturday. gets worse, my brother inlaw( her husband) started drinking , guilt, remorse, blamed himself, had 3 siezures in past year, month ago he had another, they put him in a medically induced coma, he was supposed to wake up after 2 or 3 days, they think he was given too much valium, that was middle of august, he has not woken still.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
What I am about to pose is a very cynical take on this incident. But this IS a Conspiracy Website, no?

Maybe the kidney was a perfect match for someone with a whole lot of MONEY? And they're not releasing names because every one involved was paid off.

You can't tell me that this nurse worked in this area, but did not know the procedure for preserving a kidney for transplant... Like, what it looks like in it's 13 gallon thing of slush, as opposed to one 'packaged' as medical waste for immediate disposal!

Do they put them in identical containers and someone forgot to use a Sharpie to write "Keeper" ? Heck no... they don't waste time storing waste in 13 gallons of slush. She knew this. An idiot would know this.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by alphacenturi
Reply to post by LightSource

a year and a half ago my sister inlaw went in for day surgery at a hospital in toronto, lawsuit pending so wont say, they released her in late afternoon thursday, nightime she felt really ill, called hospital, they told her and my brother inlaw that was normal and rest. she died in her sleep that night, bled to death from not one, but two puncture wounds to her abdomen. she was 42 years old and had planned on going kayaking on saturday. gets worse, my brother inlaw( her husband) started drinking , guilt, remorse, blamed himself, had 3 siezures in past year, month ago he had another, they put him in a medically induced coma, he was supposed to wake up after 2 or 3 days, they think he was given too much valium, that was middle of august, he has not woken still.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

That is so very tragic. I do hope and pray for brother-in-law's recovery... and peace of mind for your entire family.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by new_here
What I am about to pose is a very cynical take on this incident. But this IS a Conspiracy Website, no?

Maybe the kidney was a perfect match for someone with a whole lot of MONEY? And they're not releasing names because every one involved was paid off.

You can't tell me that this nurse worked in this area, but did not know the procedure for preserving a kidney for transplant... Like, what it looks like in it's 13 gallon thing of slush, as opposed to one 'packaged' as medical waste for immediate disposal!

Do they put them in identical containers and someone forgot to use a Sharpie to write "Keeper" ? Heck no... they don't waste time storing waste in 13 gallons of slush. She knew this. An idiot would know this.

BINGO!!

Anyone who works in the health field will tell you that this story is wrong in SO many ways.

For one...the surgeon would NEVER be the one to package and store the kidney. These are transplant TEAMS doing the procedures. My understanding is that the organ is typically packaged and transported immediately because of the time sensitivity involved. That the SURGEON would just throw it in a bag with slush and set it in the break room? Completely unbelievable.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast

Originally posted by new_here

BINGO!!

Anyone who works in the health field will tell you that this story is wrong in SO many ways.

For one...the surgeon would NEVER be the one to package and store the kidney. These are transplant TEAMS doing the procedures. My understanding is that the organ is typically packaged and transported immediately because of the time sensitivity involved. That the SURGEON would just throw it in a bag with slush and set it in the break room? Completely unbelievable.

Bingo Backatcha...
In this case where the brother is donating and the sister is receiving... somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the patients both prepped and ready to donate and receive in one fell swoop? What's with the slushy storage part anyway? Like you said... time is of the essence!!!

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Agreed, I work at a University hospital in nursing and there are too many safety checks for something as important as a transplant for this story to fly, not buying this story one bit.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
As each generation grows more stupid, each generation's employee's will follow suit. I just hope we stop worshipping the medical establishment before they're dumb enough to try gluing people back together.

new topics
top topics

join