It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eternal Clock Could Keep Time After Universe Dies

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Whoa

Just came across this, and thought it was really cool. So here it is.

The idea for an eternal clock that would continue to keep time even after the universe ceased to exist has intrigued physicists.
However, no one has figured out how one might be built, until now. Researchers have now proposed an experimental design for a "space-time crystal" that would be able to keep time forever.

When I first started reading this, it kind of hurt my head a little bit. I mean how could a clock keep time

If the universe no longer existed?

Turns out what they are referring to is the thermodynamic equilibrium, otherwise known as the "Big Freeze" as some of you might be familiar with. That is to say, that if the universe continues to expand as current models predict it is doing. Eventually it will expand so much that everything will be unfathomable distances from everything else, stars will have stopped forming and all current stars will have burned out. In a nut shell, lots of nothing.

Anyway here is the description of how this eternal clock could theoretically be created.

Zhang and his colleagues suggest that a space-time crystal could be constructed using an electric field to trap charged atoms (called ions), and taking advantage of the natural repulsion between two like-charged particles (positive and positive, or negative and negative), which is called Coulomb repulsion.
"The electric field of the ion trap holds charged particles in place and Coulomb repulsion causes them to spontaneously form a spatial ring crystal," Zhang said. "Under the application of a weak static magnetic field, this ring-shaped ion crystal will begin a rotation that will never stop. The persistent rotation of trapped ions produces temporal order, leading to the formation of a space-time crystal at the lowest quantum energy state."

And a picture for your viewing pleasure.

This proposed space-time crystal shows (a) periodic structures in both space and time with (b) ultracold ions rotating in one direction even at the lowest energy state.

I'm not really sure what to make of this. A replacement for the current Atomic Clock?
Do any of our Members who are more familiar with this type of science, know of any other applications for this?

I am very interested to here you responses.

Livescience.com

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Seems to me this brainpower would be better applied to improving the living conditions of the seven billion people living on planet Earth. Developing and delivering, free of charge, free energy to all would be a damn good start.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
It's a cool idea, but totally pointless. Once the universe is "dead", what's the point of keeping time? I guess inter-universal beings could stop by and see what time it is in our universe?

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by rtyfx

While you do have a valid point.

You should also remember that Scientists are scientists, artists are artists, and soldiers are soldiers. People are going to do what they love.

I would also like to point out that many scientists are in fact working on solving those problems you addressed. But it is up to Governments to quit their petty squabbles and focus their energy on them. Bottom line, the poor and hungry are not profitable to politicians.
edit on 25-9-2012 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Good argument to get rid of politicians entirely. "Dunsels". They serve no useful purpose.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
what if the next universe has different laws of nature with time not being one of them?

who would come across this time device with enough intellect to be able to distinguish it's meaning?

lol...waste of...time?

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by rtyfx

You know not what they create. If they succeed some day in the future the thing is surely part of what makes God, God.

I'm sure that one day when we are ourselves once more, we will realize that we were truly born from our own mind.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by OMsk3ptic

Why for all those really smart people that figured out how to live outside of the known universe. I mean hey.....there just has to be someone in that group with an overwhelming stick up their butt to make a calender for which to mark the anniversary of the death of our universe.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

Wouldn't that make us God?

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I wouldn't worry too much about the end of the universe.

That isn't supposed to happen for another 2 or 3 Quadrillion years or so.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by watchitburn

Zhang and his colleagues suggest that a space-time crystal could be constructed using an electric field to trap charged atoms (called ions), and taking advantage of the natural repulsion between two like-charged particles (positive and positive, or negative and negative), which is called Coulomb repulsion.
"The electric field of the ion trap holds charged particles in place and Coulomb repulsion causes them to spontaneously form a spatial ring crystal," Zhang said. "Under the application of a weak static magnetic field, this ring-shaped ion crystal will begin a rotation that will never stop. The persistent rotation of trapped ions produces temporal order, leading to the formation of a space-time crystal at the lowest quantum energy state."

So.. it's o.k. for science to create a perpetual motion machine but it's not o.k. for us regular folks? Astounding.

Well, now at least all those science jocks on ATS cannot say it's impossible. I do assume this thing isn't going to break any laws of physics. Gee.. how do you supposes they get it not to break any laws for those scientists when we can't do it? If a regular guy would have proposed this same thing, he would have been laughed at scorned and sent packing.

So this guys machine is built on the quantum level - it's still a machine and they still say it will rotate forever. I'm not seeing the difference here.
edit on 25-9-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Reply to post by rtyfx

This.

Also, there would be no use for such a clock, there would be nobody to observe the clock when the universe ends, what's the point? Also, I'm guessing an eternal clock would be impossible. Let's face it, if an event occurs that destroys the universe (and the matter in it) then there is no chance of matter that humans create could withstand such an event.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

You make a very good point there.

Basically yes, it is in fact a perpetual motion machine. If they can create it, and it works as they believe it should. It would meet the requirements you posted about in that other thread.

I didn't think about that at all. You should make a thread about the history and changing standards of perpetual motion machines. I would be very interested in checking that out.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by domasio

This eternal clock would serve a purpose. It would replace the Atomic Clock at the very least. While the Atomic clock is incredibly accurate, and is used to set the standard of all time keeping on the planet. It will eventually cease to function when the isotope it uses finally decays completely.

I also think you should check out this link, Heat death of the universe. Nothing is going to "destroy" the universe. At least not that any one can predict anyway. If something was going to destroy the universe it would have to come from somewhere else, Since the universe is our all encompassing everything, we would have a paradox. You see where I am going with this?

I hope that cleared things up for you.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I keep coming back to this thread because its subject is arrogant and irritating. I understand that great brainpower means that these people will think in unusual terms, but is there no accompanying moral compass?

Why waste time on that which is useless when one can use that high calibre genius to solve some serious problems facing the planet? Do they not feel an obligation to do justice to the gift by using it to benefit the whole?

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
What tool got paid how much to make a Big Ben that's gonna tell me what time I DONT have to go to work at a job which NO longer exists because the expressway had to be built thru here?

Is Zaphod really running things??

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I read this thread again and got irate all over again...

IF said tool was to create this magic clock that can now tell time without a sun dial, water pressure and atomic jujubes, you are telling me the vastness of our universe will be destroyed utterly, and this crystal bit will be able to tell me what time tea is as it floats thru the vacuum of space? Never losing time? I suppose it could be called perfect if there is no one alive to dispute it.

If its really a crystal powered clock, I hope neither extreme freeze or heat doesn't screw it up. Cause I like my Martini's at 4:30 sharp.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SeenAlot

It's ridiculous, I know.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Soon they'll be able to build an eternal toaster for making toast after the universe itself becomes toast. Awesome.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
So.. it's o.k. for science to create a perpetual motion machine but it's not o.k. for us regular folks?

"Under the application of a weak static magnetic field, this ring-shaped ion crystal will begin a rotation that will never stop."

How are you going to generate a magnetic field without energy?

Where are you going to find a four-dimensional crystal?

What motivates a person to comment so confidently on a subject he or she obviously does not understand?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join