Conservative or Liberal, gray matter may decide how you vote in November

page: 1

join

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Research done by University of California (Santa Barbara) people have found something interesting.

They now say that Liberals and Conservatives not only just have different "values".

A study has found that brain structures may also be a factor.

The article uses words and phrases that sound highly educated, and it may be difficult to follow and completely grasp.

We knew liberals were different, but just how different is revealed in a new study of the human brain indicating that not only do liberals and conservatives share different moral sentiments, but that markedly differing brain structures underlie those sentiments.

The study’s “findings demonstrate that variation in moral sentiment corresponds to individual differences in brain structure and suggest that moral values possess deep-rooted biological bases distributed across distinct brain regions,” say University of California, Santa Barbara, post-doctoral researcher Gary J. Lewis and three research collaborators in the August 2012 issue of the Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience (JCN).

“People differ in their sentiment for societally important moral and political values, and those differences are not simply observable in the voting booth, but can also be detected at the level of neuroanatomy,” Lewis told Human Events in an August interview..............

Conservative or liberal, gray matter may decide how you vote in November

I wonder if people are "born" with these traits, or is it "developed" ?

I wonder if gene therapy is possible in extreme cases ?

edit on Sep-25-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
www.rawstory.com...

Political opinions are considered choices, and in Western democracies the right to choose one’s opinions — freedom of conscience — is considered sacrosanct. But recent studies suggest that our brains and genes may be a major determining factor in the views we hold. A study at University College London in the UK has found that conservatives’ brains have larger amygdalas than the brains of liberals. Amygdalas are responsible for fear and other “primitive” emotions. At the same time, conservatives’ brains were also found to have a smaller anterior cingulate — the part of the brain responsible for courage and optimism. If the study is confirmed, it could give us the first medical explanation for why conservatives tend to be more receptive to threats of terrorism, for example, than liberals. And it may help to explain why conservatives like to plan based on the worst-case scenario, while liberals tend towards rosier outlooks. “It is very significant because it does suggest there is something about political attitudes that are either encoded in our brain structure through our experience or that our brain structure in some way determines or results in our political attitudes,” Geraint Rees, the neurologist who carried out the study, told the media. Raw Story (s.tt...)

Fear usually leads to ignorance, intolerance, hatred, violence and war.

Hmmm...Op, maybe you're right. Gene therapy is a good option...or maybe meditation and legitimate prayer:
Mindfulness Meditation Training Changes Brain Structure in Eight Weeks
www.sciencedaily.com...

Oh wow, looks like connecting to a spiritual nature can boost compassion, love, and liberal tendencies. Beautiful.
edit on 25-9-2012 by TheOneElectric because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Consider your political position is being manipulated all day everyday:

Amit's point is not that one mode is better than the other. It's something much more disturbing. As you listen to the news everyday, hidden circuits in your brain are literally changing the ground rules by which you judge events.

You think you're making consistent moral choices when, really, the movies playing in your head might be making your choices for you.

Visual Imagery and Moral Judgement
Why Mental Pictures can Sway your Moral Judgement

So if morality can be trained and manipulated and morality is alleged to be a factor in political ideology what does that say about political ideology?

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
These same types of studies came out last election cycle as well. In fact, at that time, they were spun to suggest that conservatism was a mental defect. Use the ATS search to find the articles.

IMO it's all propaganda, couched in statistical studies ( and as we all know, statistics can be manipulated to suggest just about anything ), meant to influence voting patterns. There are a LOT of people around who will read a single article, see that it says it's based in "science" - and buy into it wholesale - thus being totally persuaded by it. From that point their own desire to be "normal" is manipulated and controlled.

My opinion, vote with your conscience and forget the rest.

~Heff

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

Interesting.

A study at University College London in the UK has found that conservatives’ brains have larger amygdalas than the brains of liberals. Amygdalas are responsible for fear and other “primitive” emotions. At the same time, conservatives’ brains were also found to have a smaller anterior cingulate — the part of the brain responsible for courage and optimism.

It seems to suggest that the "fear" emotion may be interpreted as "defensive" rather than "passive" or lackadaisical.

I wonder how the "courage and optimism" trait can be associated with "advanced" evolution ?

I suppose an example could be "the fear" of being attacked as opposed to "reacting" after an attack ?

Confusing. Hard to say which is primitive or advanced.

We need somebody to help explain all the medical terminologies.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

What did Jesus, Buddha, and everyone else who had it right say about responding to violence?

edit on 25-9-2012 by TheOneElectric because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

"crush everyone with overwhelming violence before they have a chance to crush you! enemy or not they may be some day and that should make you scared and uneasy.... forget logic understanding and rational.....forget that they probably feel the same.....beat them all with the biggest stick you can find"

did i get that right?

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by sirhumperdink

Without a doubt.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Here is the abstract from the original study in the Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience.

Moral sentiment has been hypothesized to reflect evolved adaptations to social living. If so, individual differences in moral values may relate to regional variation in brain structure. We tested this hypothesis in a sample of 70 young, healthy adults examining whether differences on two major dimensions of moral values were significantly associated with regional gray matter volume. The two clusters of moral values assessed were “individualizing” (values of harm/care and fairness) and “binding” (deference to authority, in-group loyalty, and purity/sanctity). Individualizing was positively associated with left dorsomedial pFC volume and negatively associated with bilateral precuneus volume. For binding, a significant positive association was found for bilateral subcallosal gyrus and a trend to significance for the left anterior insula volume. These findings demonstrate that variation in moral sentiment reflects individual differences in brain structure and suggest a biological basis for moral sentiment, distributed across multiple brain regions.

Moral Values Are Associated with Individual Differences in Regional Brain Volume

As we can see, the study was conducted on just 70 subjects and was based on ideas of harm/care and fairness and deference to authority, in-group loyalty, and purity/sanctity.

No mention is made of a Left/Right political divide.

P.S. The irony of the Right wing Human Events dumbing down the study to "grey matter" while insinuating that Conservatives have bigger brains should not be forgotten.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

I wonder if people are "born" with these traits, or is it "developed" ?

I wonder if gene therapy is possible in extreme cases ?

Some of it is probably developed since young people tend to be more liberal and old people tend to be more conservative. That would be the idealistic passion of youth vs. the restraint and wisdom of old age.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
My Gray Matter says that I do not have to choose between the lesser of two evils!

My gray matter is neither genetic nor environment (upbringing). Even my family agrees. Morally, I am completely unrelated to my family.

Moderate

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Too much involvement in these ideologies turns into mental illness.

The liberal then hates the rich and successful; endeavors to strip anyone better than him of their merit and reward in the name of egalitarianism and feels a constant pathological guilt toward the downtrodden aiming to force others into welfare. The conservative then hates the poor and "unnormal"; endeavors to strip anyone worse than him of their rights and dignity in the name of meritocracy and feels a constant pathological disdain toward the downtrodden aiming to force others into warfare.

The choice between these is the choice between welfare and warfare, neither of which benefit the human spirit.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
Research done by University of California (Santa Barbara) people have found something interesting.

They now say that Liberals and Conservatives not only just have different "values".

A study has found that brain structures may also be a factor.

A tonnage of recent science has found that our brains are "plastic"...they physically change to accomodate our thought processes.

Chicken or the egg...Do staunch Conservatives or Democrats have different brain structures because they were born that way? Or because they feed themselves with different information?

The good news is that our brains physically CHANGE to accomodate different ways of thinking. All it takes is a little effort...it's always a good excercise...whether it be driving a different route to work once in a while, deciding to veer from your routine...Or trying to look at the world of politics in the USA as if you were not Republican or Democrat.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Too much involvement in these ideologies turns into mental illness.

The liberal then hates the rich and successful; endeavors to strip anyone better than him of their merit and reward in the name of egalitarianism and feels a constant pathological guilt toward the downtrodden aiming to force others into welfare.

I would argue the Liberal does not hate the rich, but rather thinks "wealth" is not the same as "worth" when speaking of human lives.

The soldier in Afghanistan, the teacher in the Bronx, the retired plumber at the nursing home...do they all "take no responsibility for thier lives"?...just looking for a handout?

THer is no hatred of the rich amongst most liberals, they just recoil at the "new" American Dream that the new conservatives propose where your worth is measured by your bank account.

The conservative then hates the poor and "unnormal"; endeavors to strip anyone worse than him of their rights and dignity in the name of meritocracy and feels a constant pathological disdain toward the downtrodden aiming to force others into warfare.

Conservatives?...The old or new?...conservativism was not always synomous with plutocracy and Conservatives used to be champions of the common man.

You use the adjective "worse"..."worse them him"...

If wealth was not a measure of assigning value to our fellow Americans, but rather our character...what we teach our children, the degree to which we struggle to provide for our families, the degree to which we live honorable and honest lives...than who is "worse" than who? Mitt Romney or my retired grandfather collecting SS who fought in two wars and now lives a humble life and pays no federal income tax? I know my answer...and if it makes me a "liberal" amongst these new conservatives, then I am OK with that.

top topics

join