It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama also said THIS at the UN

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
"it must be claimed by those in Tahrir Square who chanted “Muslims, Christians, we are one.”

Really? I don't think so. We are not "one". Islam and Christianity are NOT the same.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Just a point of clarification. I'm not saying Christianity or Judaism are "good" religions. I'm more or less an atheist. As far as I'm concerned, they all stink equally. It's just that we appear to be in an era where one religion, Islam, is more equal than others, and due some special reverance which, by its own actions, does not deserve. If you are going to condemn fundamentalist Christians for believeing their idiotic beliefs, surely you must condemn Muslins for acting in this manner because someone criticizes their Allah. These people are as crazy as any fundamentalist Christian.

Do I think Western religions are crazy? Hell yeah! But these guys are demonstrably crazier.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Originally posted by woogleuk
Why don't you give us the full story instead of half of it.

Because then, they couldn't make Obama out to be a "Muslim Lover" and they would have to realize that he really DOES support freedom of religion, AND tolerance, which is a very respectable thing to do.
Telling only a small snippet of the story lets them "lie with the truth".

edit on 9/25/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Amid mounting unrest in the Middle East, President Obama today warned Iran that the time for diplomacy is running out and challenged global leaders to confront the "deeper causes" of the crises, saying the turmoil serves as a reminder that true democracy is "hard work."

"Americans have fought and died around the globe to protect the right of all people to express their views, even views that we disagree with," he said.

"There are no words that excuse the killing of innocents. There is no video that justifies an attack on an embassy. There is no slander that provides an excuse for people to burn a restaurant in Lebanon, or destroy a school in Tunis, or cause death and destruction in Pakistan," he added.

"It is time to leave the call of violence and the politics of division behind. On so many issues, we face a choice between the promise of the future, or the prisons of the past," he said. "We cannot afford to get it wrong."

Obama Warns Iran in UN Speech That Invokes Slain Libyan Ambassador Chris Stevens

But you go ahead and cherry pick a few words and post them out of context because your mate Romney can't string a coherent sentence together over foreign policy.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by davjan4
"it must be claimed by those in Tahrir Square who chanted “Muslims, Christians, we are one.”

Really? I don't think so. We are not "one". Islam and Christianity are NOT the same.

erm..YES THEY ARE...i hate to do this to you,,but heres some higher learning

all three religions have the same god...and same angel - gabriel

the most recent of the religions, islam, accepts all if the prophets and ideologies of christinaity and judeism. in their original true form

the beleif in islam is...
god sent the word through his chosen people...they corrupted the word
he then sent it to jesus and the gospels, but that was corrupted and hidden
lastly, for the final time he sent the SAME word to muhammed, in arabic...and to this day it remains uncorrupted and pure

thats their belief dude

all are one, but not in their modern forms!!

peace and respect

edit on 25-9-2012 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by WakeUpNowSnap

calm down, why are you so hysterical!!

your interpreting nonsense,,,,its like saying raping children is in the catholic bible!! its all BS

how people percieve what is right is what freedom is all about...i dont know what the perception behind stoning is..but if stoning is their alternative to rape and murder...!! then what can we do?
weve helped install democracy, what they want is on them...but i doubt its as haunting as your making out
i hold my hands up and say i dunno .....but calm down....you hate/propaganda spreaders are popping up everywhere

peace and respect
edit on 25-9-2012 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

All that is just hunky dory OK things to say. You can publish sexually-themed cartoons about Jesus, Moses, Krishna, Buddha, and any other religious figure, call the Pope a a reptilian, Nazi, pedophile, and that's OK, too.

Well, that is something to celebrate, isn't it schuyler? The fact that all those other folks besides Muslims aren't as susceptible, for whatever reasons, to the same sloppily weaponized narratives; in this case 'The Movie'?

Right? We should be pretty excited, I would think, that we are able to sit back and criticize the sensibilities of Muslims since we have all overcome what they have obviously not.

I mean, wouldn't it be convenient for our 'controllers' (whomever 'they' may be) if #ing-just-everyone threw a fit as easily as the Muslims?

That's what we are getting at right?

And our President, who has said in print that he will "stand with the Muslims" if forced, goes along with the whole thing.

I think that the actions of our President and his cabinet regarding this matter show wisdom and restraint.

Since we are so privileged as to have overcome these shortcomings in our own culture that is the wise thing to do: stand by patiently, with wisdom and restraint, and listen with the most kindness that we can muster while our Muslim brothers and sisters work this out, right?

Benghazi proves that this is possible...

People Power In Benghazi

As this thread suggested, we could all take a hint from the Muslims from that one.

The idea is to shut down the poisonous narratives on both sides.

I fail to understand how we should all be reminded again that we put up with more than they do.

Seems pretty grade-school-playground to me.

X.

P.S.

Do I think Western religions are crazy? Hell yeah! But these guys are demonstrably crazier.

Dude? Whaaaaatt?

edit on 25-9-2012 by Xoanon because: ?WTF?

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Extremists are within every religion there are even what you would call "Dark Buddhists"
I highly suggest you folks look at some other religions.. not just the larger ones.

en.wikipedia.org... among a host of others.
edit on 25-9-2012 by Gestas because: eh

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

What card is next? the wave card maybe?

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I've learned that talking about religion on ATS is a serious waste of time.

On one side we have the Christ crusaders ready to rule the world with God's word and an iron fist.

Then on the other side we have those smarmy atheist wanks who always say that religion is "mind control", used to "control the masses", and "cause violence" after citing something like the crusades.

Both sides are so self-righteous and annoying in their own way because they both think they are sooooooooo right about everything. Neither are, and they in fact fail to see their own close-mindedness outside of their own bubble.

I guess this post is more of a rant than an actual statement. All i'm trying to say is that none of you are right and all of you are wrong, including me. lol.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
OP i think the best thing you could do. Is to apologize for the blatant out of context lie. And Alert the mod to this thread to get it deleted. You might gain some respect back from people.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I dont know whats worse...that you chose to leave out the full text of what he said, that you didnt post a source for your claim, or that you used a rudimentary picture with the quote that was taken out of context as support for your claim.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   

THANK YOU for posting the REAL story. This thread is a bum steer.

This sort of crap is what keeps us from moving forward. It keeps us divided & fighting like small children. It's beginning to sicken me.
I'm no Obama fan - but come on. Stop taking him out of context, people. It makes you seem foolish.
edit on 25-9-2012 by Schkeptick because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-9-2012 by Schkeptick because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by davjan4

I would argue that the ARE the same. They're both just bastardized versions of Judaism.
Get over yourself.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by LiberLegit

Christ frees the world, not rules it.

when you are free there is no need to be ruled, or to be governed or be told what to do.

democracy by it's very nature is consent to be governed. consent to have laws governing your lives, regulations to keep you in line.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
When i heard the speech i thought it was very well said, but i knew this type of non sense would happen as well. They always have to find some way to twist things out of context for the sake of their "he's a muslim" or "he is apologizing" crap, and people always go along with it no questions asked.

We live in an era of bumper sticker politics. Context is a waste of time, just give us catch phrases and buzz words to repeat and we are content.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
It's just that we appear to be in an era where one religion, Islam, is more equal than others,

Well yes, if your standard for information includes out of context pictures, that leave out the other parts of the speech which clearly cover the other religions in a truly equal manner, then it is going to APPEAR anyway you want it to appear.

If your views need lies to stand on, then they aren't views worth holding. The truth is always strong enough to stand on it's own, yet you choose blatant deceptions to prove your point.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   
I hate it when people act like spin artists here on ATS.
Posting things out of context is NOT okay.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Nice work OP.

/Thread
edit on 26-9-2012 by mikeone718 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join