It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People that don't like music.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I am asking people here to refrain from making judgmental comments about this person and blaming her dislike of music for her behavior. I suspect she has underlying problems and that disliking music is a symptom, not a cause.

I once knew someone who didn't like music because she didn't want to feel things

As sad as that statement is (and she did have some problems) I think it might be true for some people - music does make you feel

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

Originally posted by blazingdefiance
yeah gotta agree with you on that one.... I would have to say people who outrightly say with passion "I don't like music!" must have an issue of some sort, IMO the whole Universe is structured on soundwaves..... soooo... yeah... I'm not sure where i'm going with this but I think you get my point

But yeah good advice there, BE CAREFUL WHEN DEALING WITH SAID INDIVIDUAL!

I think you probably willfully missed my point.
I am asking people here to refrain from making judgmental comments about this person and blaming her dislike of music for her behavior. I suspect she has underlying problems and that disliking music is a symptom, not a cause. And I am especially suggesting that one ought not to extrapolate the behavior of this one person to everyone who is not as enamored with music as some here are. After all, the thread title is "people that [sic] don't like music" not just a single person.

Oh yeah, and bless the music of the spheres and all that crap.

I wouldn't say I missed it, I can't make a judgemental comment about the person as I don't know them, and if I did it was an accident and I apologise (no offence intentional) also I'd have to say that my own musical view points probably sway the argument in my mind. Ultimatley though I do agree.

There was a very interesting point made about how music makes you FEEL, you can also use music to vent emotion, which is a very important part of life. hrrmmmm.... perhaps certain notes or tones trigger bad memories, hell I know that I (and I'm sure most of you) have bad memories of a song or 2, mabey more, and these can stir emotions from the past in you, making it painfull, but having said that, it works the other way too.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I know people who dont like coffee and hate cigars. There is obviously something mentally wrong with these people.
Its called Personal Preference. I personally think music is noise and a waste of time.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I'd never really given it much thought until I read the thread title. Then I paused for a moment and thought about it. Immediately, I had a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. Like a panic type feeling.

What would life be like without music? omg, I hope I never have to find out. Music is so important to me.

It motivates me and puts a bounce in my step.
It relaxes me when I need to chill.
It soothes my heart when I'm sad.
It gets me through tough times.
It makes boring times easier to get through.
It helps me through anger when I crank it up loud.
It keeps me company when I'm lonely.
It enhances romance.
It gives me goosebumps while staring into my hubby's eyes.
It makes celebrations livelier.
It helps me stay awake.
It rocks me to sleep.
It is a huge part of my life.

My life would not be the same without music.
Wow... I didn't mean to go off on a tangent, and I hope I don't sound like a nut job

I can't imagine life without music.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by 369821
I know people who dont like coffee and hate cigars. There is obviously something mentally wrong with these people.
Its called Personal Preference. I personally think music is noise and a waste of time.

I see the point you are trying to make with the Coffee and Cigars.

But here is my point.

People may not like coffee, but they like soda or Kool Aid or tea.

They like something.

And I'm not saying people that don't like music, there must be something wrong with them.

That's why I poised the question if anyone knew someone like that.

It was just an observation.

Im wondering if you hate TV and movies as well.

Everything on TV or in movies contains music for dramatic effect.

I think for people, enjoying music is a natural instinct.

The beat of our mothers heart is the first thing we hear as we develop in the womb.

Baby toys have music devices built in them.

I have kids. And when I played music in the house, their first reaction was to bounce up and down.

Again, these are just observations.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
To have no music in your life must be like being dead.....

Music is in my ears constantly from the time I awake, I even fall asleep to music...

You can never get bored because there is always some new music to listen to, be it old or modern, it never runs out........

Every day is a new experience to find a track or an album by a band/artist you have not heard before.....

This week I have mostly been listening to the band Stornoway, (Beachcomber's Windowsill)...........Excellent album....

How I long for another 47 years of music........................

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankenchrist

So here's the deal. I do love music, but for some inexplicable reason I am absolutely incapable of hearing the lyrics to any song.

I'm not kidding about this. Because of this condition, if that's what this is, I don't know the lyrics to any song at all.

Several years ago, I actually tried to look this up to see if this was a common phenomenon, but couldn't find many people who seemed to share this problem.

Now that is not to say that I don't hear music. I do. In fact, I am able to play multiple instruments.

Before this thread, I haven't given it much thought for some time. Perhaps I'll go search again and see if I can find something new on this.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Amazing what a little time can provide....

I googled the issue and the very first link describes my situation perfectly.

Why can't I hear lyrics?

Now let me see if there's a scientific explanation...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join