It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People that don't like music.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
This is just comment and a question.

For me and others, music plays a daily part of our lives.

I hear music, certain songs, and they make me feel happy or sad, and bring back memories from the past.

I'm sure a lot of us feel this way.

My question is is. Do you, or do you know someone who does not like music?

I work with someone who says she does not like music. She only listens to fast uptempo music to work out to at the gym.

This woman to me seems to be a bit narcissistic. Almost fake. And pretty confrontational, angry.

But when she is told something that goes against what she has said to someone, she breaks down and cries.

Do you know anyone like that?

edit on 25-9-2012 by Frankenchrist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankenchrist

Definitely a conspiracy. Perhaps they are Reptilians. Or KGB spies.
Either way, I usually do not get along with people who don't enjoy music - as it is one of the most important aspects to living on Earth (music).

edit on 25-9-2012 by ThinkingCap because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I personally have no interest or use for music. Once in a while for a few minutes is fine. Then it gets on my nerves and has to go. And thats all types of music.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I can understand people saying they dont like a certain genre or "type" of music, but for anyone to say "I don't like any music at all" implies that you have heard every piece of music ever written in its entireity. I don't really understand people who say that.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Yeah it's definitely not right.

I think there is something seriously wrong with someone if they say that they just do not like music or that they're not really bothered and don't have any real favourite artists, songs, genres etc.

Just very, very strange.

I'd say the same about Movies too.... who doesn't like movies?

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

I know someone like this. There are times this person does not like music. It is perceived as dissonant and disruptive to the peace of this person's space.

Try to be understanding. There are underlying psych issues.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I remember when we got pulled over by the police one night,
The police officer proceeded to ask us about music specific generes ....like you guys like country or you know who pink floyd is? Then we asked him what type of music he liked....His response I don't like music. WTF

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

I think it's a matter of someone not finding any music they like, rather than that person not liking all genres of music.

In middle school I was indifferent towards music and never had an interest in it; however, now music (mainly Hip Hop/Trip Hop) is an important part of my life - almost as important as water and oxygen!

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
yeah i've heard of this, not common but it does exist. I'm sure i would have met someone in the walk of my life who claims this to be true of themselves, but I don't specificaly remember..... odd.......

I think like with most things it just takes further exposure untill the right chord is struck (forgive the giant punn)

and to answer a previous comment, I don't like movies much, which annoys the hell out of my wife lol. I have my old favourites sure, but trying to watch a movie I don't already know these days can be a bit painfull, if it's a classic i'll give it a go, but honestly 99% of movies these days are crap. I susspect it may also have something to do with my attention span.... yet I can play guitar for hours at a time, so go figure, but honestly I never got over what Michael Bay did to Transformers..... Everytime someone mentions those films, or I see the dvd in the shop or a cut scene on tv.... I die a little inside.....EVERYTIME!

Love, Light, and all that crap....

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Thanks for the responses.

I do think the creation of music is what separates us from other animals on the planet.

Making us human.

I think that the lack of liking any form of music makes one less passionate.

Almost robotic in a way.

I think there is a link between this woman not liking music and her behavior towards others.

She has also stated that she enters running events for the socialization.

She also does the most extreme levels of arobic exercise.

I'm not trying to diagnose her.

I'm just trying to figure out why she is the way she is.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Animals make beautiful music...

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

Sure they do.

We as humans hear birds tweeting and whales making strange noises as music.

To these animals, it's just a form of communication.

Not songs.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

I guess it could also mean that she may be quite a self-centred person, as in not really willing to give anything recommended to her a try. That is of course purely a blind assumption from myself.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankenchrist
My question is is. Do you, or do you know someone who does not like music? I work with someone who says she does not like music. She only listens to fast uptempo music to work out to at the gym. This woman to me seems to be a bit narcissistic. Almost fake. And pretty confontational, angry. But when she is told something that goes against what she has said to someone, she breaks down and cries.

Be careful here. It almost sounds like you are creating a cause-effect relationship. People who don't like music are confrontational, angry, fake, and narcissistic. It sounds to me more like she doesn't like input, that any kind of input is an assault. Obviously there is something wrong with her, but the lack of music is likely not the cause.

I understand her stance. I rarely listen to music. It's not that I don't "like" it. It's just that I don't see why people listen to it all day long. When I see someone with the white earphones I think, well, now THERE'S someone in their own little world not allowing the rest of the world in at all. Maybe that's narcissistic, too!

I like peace and quiet. I feel the same way about TV. If you want to watch something, sit down and watch it. But if you have it on for background noise, turn it off. It draws the eye and is full of advertising anyway. I'm not anti-TV. My screen is 63". It's just that I watch it an hour a day, and turn it off for the rest.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I love how people assume we are separate from animals. Keep thinking that, hairless ape.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

My question is is. Do you, or do you know someone who does not like music? I work with someone who says she does not like music. She only listens to fast uptempo music to work out to at the gym. This woman to me seems to be a bit narcissistic. Almost fake. And pretty confontational, angry. But when she is told something that goes against what she has said to someone, she breaks down and cries.

Be careful here. It almost sounds like you are creating a cause-effect relationship. People who don't like music are confrontational, angry, fake, and narcissistic. It sounds to me more like she doesn't like input, that any kind of input is an assault. Obviously there is something wrong with her, but the lack of music is likely not the cause.

I understand her stance. I rarely listen to music. It's not that I don't "like" it. It's just that I don't see why people listen to it all day long. When I see someone with the white earphones I think, well, now THERE'S someone in their own little world not allowing the rest of the world in at all. Maybe that's narcissistic, too!

I like peace and quiet. I feel the same way about TV. If you want to watch something, sit down and watch it. But if you have it on for background noise, turn it off. It draws the eye and is full of advertising anyway. I'm not anti-TV. My screen is 63". It's just that I watch it an hour a day, and turn it off for the rest.

yeah gotta agree with you on that one.... I would have to say people who outrightly say with passion "I don't like music!" must have an issue of some sort, IMO the whole Universe is structured on soundwaves..... soooo... yeah... I'm not sure where i'm going with this but I think you get my point

But yeah good advice there, BE CAREFUL WHEN DEALING WITH SAID INDIVIDUAL!

Love, Light, and all that crap....

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by blazingdefiance
yeah gotta agree with you on that one.... I would have to say people who outrightly say with passion "I don't like music!" must have an issue of some sort, IMO the whole Universe is structured on soundwaves..... soooo... yeah... I'm not sure where i'm going with this but I think you get my point

But yeah good advice there, BE CAREFUL WHEN DEALING WITH SAID INDIVIDUAL!

I think you probably willfully missed my point.
I am asking people here to refrain from making judgmental comments about this person and blaming her dislike of music for her behavior. I suspect she has underlying problems and that disliking music is a symptom, not a cause. And I am especially suggesting that one ought not to extrapolate the behavior of this one person to everyone who is not as enamored with music as some here are. After all, the thread title is "people that [sic] don't like music" not just a single person.

Oh yeah, and bless the music of the spheres and all that crap.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

Sure they do.

We as humans hear birds tweeting and whales making strange noises as music.

To these animals, it's just a form of communication.

Not songs.

what are songs if not communication?

I'll give you a billion dollars if you can explain what music is

:-)

(here's a hint: everyone has an opinion - nobody really knows for sure)
Interesting to think about though:
www.exploratorium.edu...
www.cosmosmagazine.com...
www.sciencedaily.com...

Science is beginning to understand that many creatures sing to each other - and since we don't understand yet why we sing to each other there's no reason for us to assume that our reasons are different

Everyone knows that birds and insects sing with abandon, and humans undoubtedly enjoy singing. But what about other animals? Biologists define song as “a sound made by an animal during its breeding season to attract a mate and/or defend a territory,” but when you listen to whale song, it’s hard to imagine that it’s all about breeding and defending. Do some animals have a real joy of singing just as humans do? Here’s a look at some animals on Earth who vocalize in what sounds suspiciously like song.

www.mnn.com...

P.S. I don't actually have a billion dollars - so that part was a lie

:-)

edit on 9/25/2012 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
It's simple, some people lack a soul.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

And some people are clueless about the human condition.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join