It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US schools track teens by putting chips into students' ID cards

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Welcome to 1984.
Will we ever move as one to rid society of these unnecessary measures taken in the name of "security"?

This is disgusting, scary and downright wrong...

A Texas school district in the US is putting tracking chips into new, mandatory student IDs to keep tabs on students' whereabouts at all times.

The one-year pilot test is being rolled out in October for some 4,200 students in the John Jay High School and Anson Jones Middle School, which are two of the 112 schools in the district.

Students will be required to wear the cards on a lanyard around their necks and will be charged a fee for losing them.

Their location will be beamed out to electronic readers throughout the campuses, Northside Independent School District spokesman Pascual Gonzalez told FoxNews.com.

I figured there would be some backlash from the parents, but most won't even question.

"It makes me uncomfortable. It’s an invasion of my privacy."

"With a smart phone you can use the option to use your locator but this I can't turn … off"

What say you, ATS?

Article Source

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
It's not really keeping tabs on the students. It's keeping tabs on the student IDs.

Plus it's not like there arent a dozen ways to kill the chip while not destroying the card.

I wonder if a students blip on the radar should disappear would anyone know, how soon would they know and what would they do?

Definitely creepy and dystopic but like many human endeavors run by a bureaucracy and an administration it is also half-assed and a waste of resources.
edit on 25-9-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Just rub a magnet over the card a few times, now its just a goofy looking necklace.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I'm not really seeing the big deal with this. It's only tracking the students while on campus. If there were a gunman in the school or something similar going on, this would be a good tool to make sure everyone can get evacuated if need be and no one is left behind. Someone tell me some scenarios where it could be used for harm?

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

This only deals with their time on campus. I think this is a good use of technology. School is a place to learn and your kids 'whereabouts on campus are not just the kids' own business. There is no reasonable argument against it and lots of good arguments for it.

Now if they tried to use this off campus, they'll get the asses appropriately sued.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by verboten
I'm not really seeing the big deal with this. It's only tracking the students while on campus. If there were a gunman in the school or something similar going on, this would be a good tool to make sure everyone can get evacuated if need be and no one is left behind. Someone tell me some scenarios where it could be used for harm?

It's only a good tool for making sure every ID card is evacuated or for searching for ID cards that havent evacuated.

Which is the biggest hole in the "for the children" position. A student and his card are very easily separated.

How could it be used for bad? I dont know. How about pedo rapist teacher sees Susy is in the hall by the big janitors closet that locks from the inside? It's not like teachers ever take advantage of students. At least not as often as these school shootings......right?

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by pajoly

There is no reasonable argument against it and lots of good arguments for it.

Sure there is. Cost. What is the benefit of this system? How can it be enforced? Since it relies on children doing a thing every time whatever it's purpose is it will fail.

Unless children have changed dramatically since I was one I foresee dead chips abounds and very little consistent wearing/carrying of tags. I would also expect chips being re-written for the fun of it wheres Timmy's card reads Susy's name and so on.

This is a pointless expenditure. But of course when a thing is funded by taxpayers "pointless expenditure" really means "necessary to life".

I wouldnt be surprised one bit if the backstory behind the company setting this up is nearly identical to the nepotistic crony debacle that is behind the push for "microstamping."

The best friends an insignificant start-up entrepreneur can have are ones in political positions that can sign off of half-brained ideas and funnel tax dollars into your pocket. Throw in a "think of the children" and you're set to be a millionaire.
edit on 25-9-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
"Biometrics is easier for our children"

headline on the news the other day CBC, like 4AM PST. it was horrifying. it was about installing a biometric scanner into the cafeteria of some ontario school, and it showed some kid using it completely naive to the fact.

top topics

join