It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Health Premiums Up $3,000; Obama Vowed $2,500 Cut

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

How can this be justified ?

Obama told us he would make sure health insurance costs would go down.

Now come to find out the opposite has happened.

How can workers get good raises when employers have to keep paying for the increases ?

During his first run for president, Barack Obama made one very specific promise to voters: He would cut health insurance premiums for families by $2,500, and do so in his first term.

But it turns out that family premiums have increased by more than $3,000 since Obama's vow, according to the latest annual Kaiser Family Foundation employee health benefits survey.

Premiums for employer-provided family coverage rose $3,065 — 24% — from 2008 to 2012, the Kaiser survey found. Even if you start counting in 2009, premiums have climbed $2,370....

I know workers usually pay for their families insurance through added deductions.

That means it amounts to a pay reduction in the long run.

Not good.

(it Must be Bush's fault ... right?)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
What is a health premium?

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Well it seems pretty much par for the course over all of Obama's so called "promises"......

"Hope".......Yeah he was right, we have a lot of HOPE that he is gone after just 1 VERRRRRY long term so far.......

It can't end quick enough.....Now if we can figure out a way to keep the other "hope-less" promiser out of the office, we will be in good shape!!

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Because Obama care hasn't been implemented maybe?

For the love of God.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN

For the love of God.

They why are we paying taxes for it already?

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone

Good question.

What I know is that my health insurance premiums for 2012 remained at the same rate as 2011. I also know that I just recently did early enrollment for my 2013 employee benefits package and the health insurance premiums still remain the same.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

And if your husband gets fat, your pet chinchilla dies or your hermit crab loses his claw that's probably Obama's fault too.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

a premium is the amount you pay to retain coverage by your ensurer (so the rate you pay for your insurance)

Originally posted by jjkenobi

For the love of God.

They why are we paying taxes for it already?

i didnt know this actually but it would make sense (source please?)
why are taxes collected for a new aircraft carrier before its actually built? (maybe.....just maybe.... its because you need money to begin the project in the first place)
edit on 25-9-2012 by sirhumperdink because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Parts of the care act have already started where those companies now have to provide care and that difference is made up by how?

Raising premiums.

Also remember that there were a crap load of waivers issued for that very reason of those waivers went to special interests.

And the average john and jane doe is not a special interest,.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Not only am I paying $4100 more in premiums. my coverage is lower, my deductible is higher, my co pays are higher, and my max out of pocket has increased as well. My former "Cadillac" plan is no longer available and I'm paying more for everything for my family of 4. It's only going to get worse!!

Just more Obama rhetoric that is completely meaningless. Judge him by his record!!!

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeatherNLace

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone

Good question.

What I know is that my health insurance premiums for 2012 remained at the same rate as 2011. I also know that I just recently did early enrollment for my 2013 employee benefits package and the health insurance premiums still remain the same.

You must work for the govt.

Glad you have not been whacked. Are you still getting the same coverage all around? If nothing has changed, thank your employer for that. They are probably absorbing more on their end. Just hope they don't pass the buck down the road...

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I didn't see any mention of the $1.1 billion in rebates the health insurance companies are paying back to people? Surely that will have some counter on raising premiums.

No mention on the steady rise over the years over all. Ah...but Obamacare isn't fully implemented yet so we should blame it anyway. Absolutely. I'm seeing where you're coming from now.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
My wife is pretty much being forced to retire by the end of the year or give $400 more a month to healthcare. The math is simple really. The school system can't give out huge pay raises in the future and pay retire health care so at 58 sh has to retire with pretty much full pay and $145 a month health care for the both of us forever. Strange world. When working it was cheaper to use mine , retirement we have to go with hers.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by links234
I didn't see any mention of the $1.1 billion in rebates the health insurance companies are paying back to people? Surely that will have some counter on raising premiums.

No mention on the steady rise over the years over all. Ah...but Obamacare isn't fully implemented yet so we should blame it anyway. Absolutely. I'm seeing where you're coming from now.

Some questions about the "refunds"...

1. Who gets the refund when the employer is paying the direct premiums ?

1a. Will employers distribute refunds to employees or give blanket raises ?

2. Does PPACA have any guidelines for these "refunds" ?

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   

The annual premiums for employer-sponsored health insurance rose moderately this year, with just a 4% increase for family health insurance, considerably lower than last year’s 9% jump. Single coverage is up 3% this year.

Source WebMD

While premiums went up, the amount of increase seems to be smaller than previous years. Either way it's still too expensive and a good reason why we still need universal care.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
Some questions about the "refunds"...

1. Who gets the refund when the employer is paying the direct premiums ?

The employer.

1a. Will employers distribute refunds to employees or give blanket raises ?

That's up to the employer to decide.

2. Does PPACA have any guidelines for these "refunds" ?

The PPACA states that if the insurance company doesn't spend the money you and your employer paid in, the insurance company has to give some of that money back.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
If Republicans wouldn't have blocked the public option, this wouldn't be happening.

Obama can only deliver on promises if Congress will work with him. If you don't like that the premiums are going up, go talk to your Republican congressman.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I just got my 2013 information, and my premiums are going down.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

For the love of God.

You aren't paying attention - which is typical of a pollyanna partisan

Read the OP and the article and concentrate! It states, very simply, that Obama promised to reduce health insurance premiums for the average family by $2,500 BY THE END OF HIS FIRST TERM! We're there genius and mine have gone up by almost $2,700 a year!

Another broken promise! Or perhaps another lie... and another Obama sycophant selectively arguing against the FACTS!

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by usernameconspiracy
I just got my 2013 information, and my premiums are going down.

So will your "Benefits"!

Pay attention ot the fine print. I somehow doubt that you live in some magical kingdom where you get to save money on your existing plan while the other 99.99999999999999999999999% of us have been shouldering HUGE and forever growing premiums.

... Unless of course, you work for the government or on the government dole!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join