It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YOUR PAST...very cool‏ !

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Never mind what I said before... cool site!
edit on 9/9/2012 by thegrayone because: Correcting mistake.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
In 1992, the world was a different place.

There was no Google yet. Or Yahoo. Or Abovetopsecret, for that matter.

In 1992, the year of your birth, the top selling movie was Aladdin. People buying the popcorn in the cinema lobby had glazing eyes when looking at the poster.
Remember, that was before there were DVDs. People were indeed watching movies in the cinema, and not downloading them online. Imagine the packed seats, the laughter, the excitement, the novelty.

That was the world you were born into. Since then, you and others have changed it.

The Nobel prize for Literature that year went to Derek Walcott. The Nobel Peace prize went to Rigoberta Menchú Tum. The Nobel prize for physics went to Georges Charpak from France for his invention and development of particle detectors, in particular the multiwire proportional chamber. The sensation this created was big.

But it didn't stop the planets from spinning, on and on, year by year. Years in which you would grow bigger, older, smarter, and, if you were lucky, sometimes wiser. Years in which you also lost some things. Possessions got misplaced. Memories faded. Friends parted ways.

The best friends, you tried to hold on. This is what counts in life, isn't it?

Dolly, a sheep, is cloned. The Global Positioning System GPS becomes fully operational. Genetically engineered crops are developed for commercial use. Intel develops the Pentium processor. The Java programming language is created. Microsoft released Windows 95. In Los Angeles, riots occur after the police brutality case involving Rodney King. Great Britain hands sovereignty of Hong Kong to China. East Timor breaks away from Indonesian control. US president Bill Clinton was involved in the Lewinsky scandal. Dogme 95 becomes an important artistic movement in European film. Teen soap Beverly Hills 90210 has its long run. Baywatch becomes the most watched show in history. On MTV, reality television makes its beginning. Nelson Mandela is elected president of South Africa. Germany was reunified. The prediction of computer bug Y2K spreads fear.

There's a kid outside, shouting, playing.

It doesn't care about time.

It doesn't know about time.

It shouts and it plays and thinks time is forever.

You were once that kid.

How eerie! Thanks for sharing this!

Amazing stuff learnt quite a few new things already today and its only 9.10am

Peace

edit on 26/9/2012 by Kluute because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Thanks for this it was awesome. You see these type of lists all the time but it was presented in such a novel way that it was interesting.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Raiders of the Lost Ark

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by starlitestarbrite

Cheers OP - that was a TRIP!

From 1971........

Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and Jim Morrison all die at the age of 27. The space mission Apollo 13 nearly ends in disaster. Egypt signed the Egyptian-Israeli peace treaty. There was a revolution in Iran. The world sees its first general microprocessor. The C programming language makes its debut. Consumer video games show up on the scene. Microwave ovens become commercially available. Margaret Thatcher was victorious in the UK elections

No wonder I'm a conspiracy nut.......born Scorpio and with all this going down that year.

But........I'm glad to be here!

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
i havent read all replies yet but does it allwas mencion Abovetopsecret?

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
It told me that google and abovetopsecret weren't invented yet????

Peace

Yeah, that was my initial thought when it came on....

Wow, what a surprise those website weren't around in 1965, I wonder why?

I felt as though I was under the guidance of a Primary School teacher........

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I really enjoyed your replies and glad you liked the site!

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by starlitestarbrite

Very interesting. The year I was born the Green Bay Packers win Super Bowl 2.

Thanks for sharing. I know I am getting old, but that really puts it into perspective.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I enjoyed this site allot and passed it on to a few family members..It was a long read but worth it thanks..peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Whoever wrote the program is very young. "There wasn't VHS!" Duh! There weren't long play records or 45's either! There wasn't even stereophonic sound! Movies and TV were in black & white, and color camera film was very expensive. Queen Elizabeth was not yet coronated, and the 707 was not yet invented.

So I'm older than dirt.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
That was an awesome link!

I love the way it scrolls out as it goes through the things that happened over the decade!
Thanks for sharing that, I bookmarked it for others in the family

When you were 9, the movie Flash Gordon was playing. When you were 8, there was The Black Hole. When you were 7, there was a Disney movie out called The Rescuers. Does this ring a bell? 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... it's 1971. There's TV noise coming from the second floor. Someone turned up the volume way too high. The sun is burning from above. These were different times. The show playing on TV is The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour. The sun goes down. Someone switches channels. There's The New Dick Van Dyke Show on now. That's the world you were born in. Progress, year after year. Do you wonder where the world is heading towards? The technology available today would have blown your mind in 1971. Do you know what was invented in the year you were born? Instant Noodles. The Space Station. E-mail.

edit on 26-9-2012 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join