It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if money was no object? An amazingly insightful video..

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Lightbringer38

Holy crap, pleasantly surprised that video is Alan Watts! Guy was far ahead of his time, and every single one of his lectures holds up today. Just explore this playlist:

www.youtube.com...

About as wise as Buddha in his time, and just as irreverent. Would S&F this 1000 times if I could!!!

Alan Watts - Money

edit on 27-9-2012 by deometer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   
thank you for posting this and I agree with its message completely. This has put me in a good mood at the very start of my day

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Because we're trained ever since pre-school to grow up to be biological androids, brainwashed, asleep, soulless, zombie, slaves. So we go out and make everything, do all the work, and the people that reap the mass wealth are the global elitiests who control everything. Now get back to work you slave!

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Lightbringer38

ALl i want to do is spend time with my wife. 8hrs a day away from her suck. I really do not want to spend my days making some guy rich while he sits around with his loved ones all day long.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I think there was one line in the video that was missed, something about; You may not live as long but it is better to have a short fulfilling life than a long life that is not.That's the reality.

Humans have created quite an interconnected web of being, that is our present state of reality. First and foremost is our population numbers, seven billion people alive on this planet. This a remarkable success story for any life form. Human density is a result of our clever adaptations, and among these is the ability of focused coordinated activity, with an emphasis on long term objectives. This necessarily involves a hierarchy, division of labor, and sacrifice to the common good.

I know everyone wants to run out and be their own selves and I'm all for that. Just remember that our present state is a remarkable success story. Probably too successful to be sustainable in the long run, but it sure feels comfortable right now don't it? One of, but not the only, benefit of this achievement is a much longer life span. I believe this the result of a system that allows for multiple ways to fulfill basic needs in an abundant way. Another benefit is having the luxury of following our bliss. I might even go farther and say it allows us to even have a bliss. Opportunities that many find to be their extreme delight would not even exist without the regimentation we rail against.

There are many who are born to the harness and to them we should be grateful, for it is they who make possible the excess that allows for the arts and "creative living". It is popular, and fun, to decry the rat race and the expectations and conformity it places on the individual and that's fine, just don't be ignorant about it. Realize that a shorter life is only a small beginning to the changes that would come in a world without money.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I'm taken back from this video. I love Alan Watts and I can quote quiet a few of this speeches (About money, dreams, the modern family) but this one just invokes a question with no answers.

I HAVE TO GO TO WORK everyday, even though I don't mind my job, so I can pay my rent and my bills so I can comfortably spend my evenings producing music and writing.

I have no choice. Money IS an object.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx2112

Sounds like you're thinking for people (you have lost faith in the individual human being and they (individual) always screws up and chooses a little less better life??), you are telling people that this topic is useless because of what you see around you, so "you" succumb to your point... Why "choose" to think that way?

Love what you do, master the craft and maximize your profits, just don't screw anybody over, keep it a pure transaction.

Tom loves to build homes, so he learns the craft and masters the craft and starts a home building business... Bob loves the service industry, so he learned and mastered his craft and decided to open up a restaurant/bar.. Bob's business is doing well because he serves with a smile... Makes a good profit. Decides to buy a house, Bob hires Tom to build Bob a house.. Tom builds the house and just WOW's Bob.. Bob happily pulls out his checkbook and pays for Tom's wonderful service... It is a beautiful transaction and a lot of people do experience this.

And yes, if you're healthy in mind and body, then you can be whatever it is you want and love.. And don't feel guilty about maximizing your profits. Money doesn't come with greed nor virtue. Keep the transaction pure...

Now if you become broke because of business failure - then what?
Simple... don't STAY broke.. big difference between being broke and "staying broke"..

Again a person with a healthy mind and body and they know their direction, WILL meet all their goals..

Sad news here, there is no magic pill to put fire in peoples rears. Dig people, dig deep and go get it and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

This is all well and good, but far from realistic I'm afraid...

I wanted to be a mechanic when I left school (a motorcycle mechanic to be specific) but ended up doing HGV mechanics instead. There were several reasons for this, and after a year I resigned, also for several reasons. I went on to become a general labourer, liked the job and wanted to be a builder but the company wouldn't train me and I couldn't afford to pay for a course myself.

While in that job I bought my own house (sounds contradictive but it's not, I didn't have much choice at the time) then I was made redundant. I started doing factory work which paid the bills but made me unhappy. So I left and started training as an industrial pipe insulator. After a few months I got laid off. I started working as a labourer at a soft-stripping firm earlier this year after a decent bout of joblessness and again, I got laid off.

From there I went straight into another labouring job for minimum wage (which in itself is a joke) and guess what? Last Friday a was handed my weeks notice. So yes, as of tomorrow I will once again be laid off.

Throughout all of this, my house has become a hell hole (damp on just about every exterior wall, my back garden wall fell down, boiler is currently on strike and the windows are as air-tight as a birdcage), my motorcycle has been off the road for 4 whole years because I haven't had the money to fix it. Hell, there was a time I had so little money that all I had in my cupboards to eat was a tin of tuna, some salad cream and a tin of beans.

The basics I want out of life are a qualification (Builder, mechanic, working on oil rigs - I'm not too fussy) a nice home, a nice vehicle and a family. Problem is, all these things will cost me money. Money I don't have.

So, things I enjoy. Riding motorbikes - can't, it's broken and I can't afford to fix it plus I'm no Rossi so I doubt I'll get a return on that. I'd enjoy fixing my house up - but wait, I can't afford that either. I'd love to train as a mechanic but there are no jobs in that area, I'm too old for an apprenticeship AND I can't afford to do a course off my own back.

Don't you see? Things cost money and most of us are barely getting enough to keep a roof over our heads. It's not for the lack of trying, it's just that life doesn't work that way.

At the end of the day jobs are limited. You take what you can get to scrape a living. If you don't like your job then you man-up and stick it out while keeping one eye open for something better. Put your dreams on hold, they'll still be there when things start picking up. Enjoy what you can in life - walking on a beach won't put food on the table but it costs nothing and if you enjoy that type of thing then it can make the rest of it seem worthwhile, even just a little bit. Who knows? Maybe you'll get there in the end.

Kaidan

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by kai22

Originally posted by syrinx2112

Sounds like you're thinking for people (you have lost faith in the individual human being and they (individual) always screws up and chooses a little less better life??), you are telling people that this topic is useless because of what you see around you, so "you" succumb to your point... Why "choose" to think that way?

Love what you do, master the craft and maximize your profits, just don't screw anybody over, keep it a pure transaction.

Tom loves to build homes, so he learns the craft and masters the craft and starts a home building business... Bob loves the service industry, so he learned and mastered his craft and decided to open up a restaurant/bar.. Bob's business is doing well because he serves with a smile... Makes a good profit. Decides to buy a house, Bob hires Tom to build Bob a house.. Tom builds the house and just WOW's Bob.. Bob happily pulls out his checkbook and pays for Tom's wonderful service... It is a beautiful transaction and a lot of people do experience this.

And yes, if you're healthy in mind and body, then you can be whatever it is you want and love.. And don't feel guilty about maximizing your profits. Money doesn't come with greed nor virtue. Keep the transaction pure...

Now if you become broke because of business failure - then what?
Simple... don't STAY broke.. big difference between being broke and "staying broke"..

Again a person with a healthy mind and body and they know their direction, WILL meet all their goals..

Sad news here, there is no magic pill to put fire in peoples rears. Dig people, dig deep and go get it and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

This is all well and good, but far from realistic I'm afraid...

I wanted to be a mechanic when I left school (a motorcycle mechanic to be specific) but ended up doing HGV mechanics instead. There were several reasons for this, and after a year I resigned, also for several reasons. I went on to become a general labourer, liked the job and wanted to be a builder but the company wouldn't train me and I couldn't afford to pay for a course myself.

While in that job I bought my own house (sounds contradictive but it's not, I didn't have much choice at the time) then I was made redundant. I started doing factory work which paid the bills but made me unhappy. So I left and started training as an industrial pipe insulator. After a few months I got laid off. I started working as a labourer at a soft-stripping firm earlier this year after a decent bout of joblessness and again, I got laid off.

From there I went straight into another labouring job for minimum wage (which in itself is a joke) and guess what? Last Friday a was handed my weeks notice. So yes, as of tomorrow I will once again be laid off.

Throughout all of this, my house has become a hell hole (damp on just about every exterior wall, my back garden wall fell down, boiler is currently on strike and the windows are as air-tight as a birdcage), my motorcycle has been off the road for 4 whole years because I haven't had the money to fix it. Hell, there was a time I had so little money that all I had in my cupboards to eat was a tin of tuna, some salad cream and a tin of beans.

The basics I want out of life are a qualification (Builder, mechanic, working on oil rigs - I'm not too fussy) a nice home, a nice vehicle and a family. Problem is, all these things will cost me money. Money I don't have.

So, things I enjoy. Riding motorbikes - can't, it's broken and I can't afford to fix it plus I'm no Rossi so I doubt I'll get a return on that. I'd enjoy fixing my house up - but wait, I can't afford that either. I'd love to train as a mechanic but there are no jobs in that area, I'm too old for an apprenticeship AND I can't afford to do a course off my own back.

Don't you see? Things cost money and most of us are barely getting enough to keep a roof over our heads. It's not for the lack of trying, it's just that life doesn't work that way.

At the end of the day jobs are limited. You take what you can get to scrape a living. If you don't like your job then you man-up and stick it out while keeping one eye open for something better. Put your dreams on hold, they'll still be there when things start picking up. Enjoy what you can in life - walking on a beach won't put food on the table but it costs nothing and if you enjoy that type of thing then it can make the rest of it seem worthwhile, even just a little bit. Who knows? Maybe you'll get there in the end.

Kaidan

Man you got a sad story here. Maybe you should get creative or something. Forget about money man. Don't mean nothing noway

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Great video. Sweatshop workers love what they do. So do janitors.

posted on Sep, 28 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
thank you for posting! it's really made me question my current motivations.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Currently I've got debts which will take me several years to pay off and can just about make it each month. Only have enough money for food and clothing, got a nice house and can buy new clothes once a year. But that's it, can't afford a car, going out with friends and family, or anything else. Still I love to do my job even if I'm not getting ahead like others I count my blessings and know it could be worse.

My only escape is my hobby which I would describe as astral projecting. Doesn't cost anything but time and if there is a place beyond this one (which I'm certain there is) I'll fit right at home. Sure, people can call me crazy but I feel sorry for them they don't know about it, it truly is priceless and the biggest secret there is.

Having a realistic kind of dream of paragliding, swimming deep in the ocean or even hopping aboard any random alien spaceship would never equate to the real thing for most but it works for me. Those experiences can't be shared with others ofcourse with the current religious and psychiatric climate, but then again trying to talk about those 'trips' is quite like watching someone else's vacation photo's and movies, it is something best experienced by one self.

People who are not exploring their own minds are the ones who are missing out, there is so much more out there.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join