It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Many ATS Members are contradictory and Hypocritical!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
and many dont even care about conspiracies either, some log on just to grief others, same in games, forums, anything online, always gonna run into that fat dweeb whos been picked on his/her life and this is their only revenge on life, is griefing the internet

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by daaskapital

A wee joke to illustrate my point. . . .

Obama was on a boat. The boat started sinking.

Obama walked on water to shore, safely.

The next morning headlines

MSNBC
Obama walks on water

FOX
Obama can't swim.

The same speech, the same issue, the same conflict can be seen from many different aspects. The above was neither contradictory nor hypocritical.

Yet both are accurate within their context.

Ironic you say this. In the context of your joke, one headline is a fact and the other is an assumption. If he walks on water it doesn’t mean he cant swim. It just means he walked on water. To claim that he cant swim because he's described as having safely walked on water is pure speculation. It’s equally as accurate to speculate he walked on water because he had Go-Go-Gadget flotation devices attached to his shoes.

Fox News is notorious for making these types of speculations and stamping them [FACT].

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by MuonSpin

Who was there to see him walk on water? And last I check no one can walk on water. So why beleive any news network until they start doing there job,and quit being puppets and kool aid drinkers like alot of people are.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tarzan the apeman.
reply to post by MuonSpin

Who was there to see him walk on water? And last I check no one can walk on water. So why beleive any news network until they start doing there job,and quit being puppets and kool aid drinkers like alot of people are.

I drink Juicy Juice, not koolaid. There is a difference!!

And I can assure you no-one has ever put their hand up my skirt to make my mouth wiggle. Therefore, i cannot be a puppet.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus
It`s not just ATS members it`s the entire younger generation.

Being contrary and arguing that the sky is purple when we all know that it is blue, doesn`t make you look intelligent it just wastes people`s time and makes you look childish and petty.

Indeed, I had a stand up row with a neighbour here, she has a dog that craps everywhere, a cat that is left out for weeks on end with no way to get home (3rd floor flat) and she's a totally arrogant young woman.

Basically the argument went like this

Me: You did xyz

Her: that's not true

Me: Your dog just crapped on the floor over there

Her: No it didn't

Me: Will you stop banging your front door

Her: I don't bang my front door

And that's how it went for 40 mins

2 weeks later she walks up to my wife and says that she's sorry about the row and it was all her fault and everything I said was true..

And that's how the kids are now, won't admit to anything at the time no matter how proved it is..
edit on 26-9-2012 by Mclaneinc because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Everyone on here is hypocritical Daas, not many but all of us. Some of us acknowledge this weakness, others painfully deny it. It is simply an aspect of human nature - things change. Even moods can affect decisions and thoughts.

People that claim never to be hypocritical are in total denial.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
I have noticed a lot of inconsistency coming from many members of ATS. Many are quick to denounce certain sources in regards to specific topics, but when it suits their own agenda, they are more than happy to utilise the very same sources.
Another example is the Iran/Israel tensions. While it isn't the exact same, it runs along the same veins as the previous explanation.

Many members do not trust mainstream websites, but they are quick to use such websites if it fits their agenda. President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran is a great example of this. The same members who do not trust the likes of Fox or CNN are more than happy to use those sites in order to demonise [sic] Ahmadinejad [sic] and the Iranian Regime, while at the same time, portraying Israel in an angelic light.

I feel that this is hypocritical and contradictory of the members to do this.

I have not seen this double standard of website/source citation. How about give a couple actual examples? Furthermore, I am surprised so many people are agreeing with you, because, again, I have not seen this phenomenon at all. That said, I can see why someone who doesn't trust such sources will provide a link to such a source when it involves an interview, as this would be from the horse's mouth, as it were, rather than news copy passed down from the minister of propaganda.

Furthermore, I really can't imagine the anti-Iran/pro-Israel people of knocking Fox of CNN; that's the bread 'n butter of their ilk. Of course the rest of the big-time, corporate MSM networks (ABC, CBS and NBC) aren't a lot better.

However, now thinking about it, I do realize I have seen posts regarding local stories, which do make use of Fox, for example, in which the point of the story is government overreach or overbearing. To me, this is different than Fox's political coverage, which has a very distinct and dishonest bias. If it is a local story of some reported police abuse or what have you, I would tend to believe that more. And if some local Fox (or any other MSM network) affiliate is the only station to have news footage of some local story, what is an ATS poster to do?

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by MrInquisitive

An example:

We all know that Wiki is not the most reliable of sites and yet occasionally we site it as a source.

I, for one, am guilty of this.

Reading my above post, i appear to have entirely missed the point of the thread (as i was commenting on overall hypocrisy rather than source specific hypocrisy)! D'Oh!

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
You are correct, but this thread made me think of another thing.

People here are mostly just posting something they find on the internet, linking to it, and making a comment where they usually take a side. And in threads, people sometimes argue and ridicule each other instead of respecting each other. Isnt that exactly what people dont like about the mass media?

The difference is of course that here, there is very little censorship. There are topics I feel would benefit the entire ATS population if they were allowed to be discussed, but usually, most topics can be discussed.

edit on 26-9-2012 by Bodhi911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I disagree, I think members that are contradictory are exceptions to the rule. For the most part, those on ATS are consistent in their logic.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I agree 100%. This site is rampant with members that say one thing and do another. Main objective is to spin everything toward their bias.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by PatrickGarrow17
reply to post by Tardacus

It's the entire younger generation.

Just yesterday I was thinking about this. How every older person I've met is so thoughtful. Older people never make any type of intellectual point unless it is absolutely justified. For some reason, younger people have created this new mindset and attitude of double standards. I sometimes find myself wondering, where did young people learn to act this way? Maybe from video games? They certainly aren't regressing based on the flawless examples set by the generations before them! I mean look at the world, adults seem to have society running like a well oiled machine....

Looking at behavioral inconsistency, you can label it hypocritical or change in belief. Seeing how most seem pretty settled into a belief system, OP's probably right to choose the first.
A lot of the younger generation IS the problem here on ATS. Most are fixated to the computer and complacent to the real world, and think they have it all figured out. Their knowledge comes from Google and Wikipedia. And it shows! Their attitude comes from the newest release of Diablo 3. Most kids don’t think. They react! Life without the internet would drive most of them mad! I have to wonder how many kids these days have actually picked up a hammer, let alone put a nail in it. How many of our younger folk have actually picked up a screw driver or a wrench? How many actually know how to check the oil in a car? Most would be lost if they didn’t have a computer or the Xbox. If they didn’t have such things, they would be running around like zombies with no direction what’s so ever. Kids today would have you believe they know it all, but actually, they know nothing! Nodda! Your egos are astounding! AND it’s as clear as night and day!

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
What you are seeing is emotion to the words on the page at that time. to many people nows day don't have core believes that they stand by. We all try to to find the happy middle ground. If not then everyone says you are an asshole. I personally love being an asshole. I will stand by what I say but I am not afraid to admitt I mite be wrong as long as you are not a woman. Most just want to right at the moment and would happily change to views to be right about something.It is how people are in todays world.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Intellectual dishonesty, been around for ages...

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by PatrickGarrow17

Perhaps you did the same thing when you were a young person, as did we all... maturity takes time to blossom, you can't expect it from the get-go.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I think the idea of source goes back a long way. The to whom am I attributing the information I am presenting; that otherwise you would not be privy to. Sources have long had some degree of suspicion attached to them and those who are wary are often proven correct in being so. Wary that is. Most sources involved with low level internet chatter are less reliable than those used at a higher level of accountability. Major news publications and broadcasts are subject to greater scrutiny, and therefore are a bit more picky about their sources And yet the same bad apple can appear over and over.

In forming ones world view, I'd say, given the poor state of their reputation, stay away from sources. This is not going to be easy. We are in an overload situation on sources, and they are everywhere I maintain the best information is that which you experience yourself.

Often a source is given identified only as my uncle. Now I don't' know anything about the man, his integrity, or his credentials, but for me he ranks pretty low on the credibility scale. Up from there things improve but little in my opinion.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by smilesmcgee

Yeah, I'm actually 21 almost 22 now. Still very young.

I consider myself more of a child than an adult. I've read that some Native American cultures didn't consider a person fully grown until they reached 50 or older.

It's a fun progression, going from young to old. I hope. I consider myself to be pretty well informed and sophisticated in attitude for a 21 year old, but recognize I still have a ton of room to grow.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Propulsion

I agree. But, I think jumping to conclusions is more a tendency for younger people in general than it is a development for the current generation.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

It's not just ATS and the younger generation. It's people in general.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
Hello one and all

I have noticed a lot of inconsistency coming from many members of ATS. Many are quick to denounce certain sources in regards to specific topics, but when it suits their own agenda, they are more than happy to utilise the very same sources. This is extremely prevalent in two current topics gripping ATS at the moment; The Presidential race and the Iran/Israel tensions.

In regards to President Barack Obama, many members are quick to denounce any source applauding his attempts at rectifying the American problems, but when something pops up denouncing Obama himself, members are quick to use the very same sites in order to criticise him. It is contradictory in every sense of the word.

Another example is the Iran/Israel tensions. While it isn't the exact same, it runs along the same veins as the previous explanation.

Many members do not trust mainstream websites, but they are quick to use such websites if it fits their agenda. President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad of Iran is a great example of this. The same members who do not trust the likes of Fox or CNN are more than happy to use those sites in order to demonise Ahmadinejad and the Iranian Regime, while at the same time, portraying Israel in an angelic light.

I feel that this is hypocritical and contradictory of the members to do this.

Some people just like to initiate CHAOS and aren't happy unless their in the middle of some DRAMA.
Yes, ATS is full of DRAMA and DRAMA QUEENS. Unfortunately, its the way of the world. Just accept it,
don't cry and complain about it because you can always find a space where there is none if you are that bothered by it.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join