It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hitachi's New Quartz Plate - Store Data for 100+ Million Years

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

One day, in your life time, the children will ask "what is cash?"

They will also ask, "What are computers?" You'll explain, and they'll laugh and say "You mean big clunky versions of the molecules that make up everything around us?"

Watch...humanity is on the precipice of a Neo-Renaissance. Something huge is coming by way of consistent and compounding advancement.
edit on 25-9-2012 by TheOneElectric because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
reply to post by Raelsatu

I have two words:

CRYSTAL SKULLS

That is all.

'They' did everything with those skulls...from poking it with lasers, sticks and looking at it with a microscoop. Nothing special there to see...There are indications that Hedges skull is a fake, planted by Mr Hedges to be found by his little girl.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

That article is a hoax. FYI.

The creator of the article is well known around here as a hoaxer. Even fooled myself and SLAYER69.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
This is awesome. I wonder when the quarts hard drives will be available.

Personally, I'm holding out for the gallon size...

Pretty cool tech. I wonder if they'll guarantee that 100 million year lifetime.
If so, and my storage unit craps out after only 1,000 years, will they be around to be held responsible?

Also, judging from current tech advances, it'll probably be obsolete long before even 1 million years.

Still, pretty cool.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Revelation 15:2

2 "And I saw what appeared to be a sea of glass mingled with fire..."

Slightly OT: That would be relevant to the nuclear testing site in Nevada. With nuclear explosions fusing the desert sand into glass.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

reply to post by penninja

An approximate 6 X 9 room or chamber lies directly behind the 2nd sealed doors in at least the South shaft. Several small statues were spotted on the video camera but no details on what exactly they represent were able to be seen. A gold or copper chain was spotted in the corner of the chamber Small pottery and stone jars are spread throughout the floor of the chamber In the center of the chamber lies a gold or copper box which is closed and its contents are unknown. The box is roughly the size of a one foot size shoe box. No hieroglyphics or other writing were spotted anywhere in the chamber. Read more: scienceray.com...

Anybody else think the gold/copper box - Pandora box ?

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

I have two words:

CRYSTAL SKULLS

That is all.

I was going to say that WTH? Too funny! There has to be something in those skulls.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

You are so right! Really we are the living library of the world and in us is the history of the world, I am currently doing my best to recall. It not a total recall, but I am doing my best. I will continue to do so.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by yorkshirelad

I have two words:

CRYSTAL SKULLS

That is all.

Totally wrong. Why would any technological society (or individual) encode messages in an object that looks like art? You would encode data in a cube or a cuboid of dimensions 1,2,4 or 1,4,9

Because contextually...skulls are more relevant to HUMAN history...than a cube is...

If you find a skull crystal you think...oh has to do with humans somehow...
If you find a square crystal you think...oh someone made a square crystal...nothing more to see here...

One triggers further investigation...the other not necessarily so.

At least that's what came to my mind...
edit on 25-9-2012 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Quartz crystals have made possible the radio, computers and satellites amongst other things. It seems there is no end to the usefulness of this gem of nature.
I think we are only really scratching the surface of how to interact with crystals.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Shame it only come out now, it would of been a good addition to Curiosity bots features list...

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
New from Whamo, QUARTZ STORAGE!

FIRE PROOF*, it has it!
WATER PROOF*, it has it!
1 FRIGGILION TEGALABYTES*, it has it!!
100 ZILLION YEARS OF SUPER STORAGE*, it has that too!!!

(Note: buyer beware, a brick is water proof, but quartz storage is not brick proof)

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

I had the same thought a couple of hours ago but was reticent about posting further to this thread after observing the various backwater posts from the more surly ATS membership.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by yorkshirelad

if you could get away with it you would so why not.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by definity
Shame it only come out now, it would of been a good addition to Curiosity bots features list...

what use would it be on Curiosity I don't think thats coming back to earth.
Also they could use this at NASA and probably already are.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

As I read this, the same thing came to mind, Crystal Skulls!!! Hitachi needs to check them for binary code. They probably have some serious information for us. stored inside by ancient aliens, knowing this day would eventually come. Exactly why it's in the shape of a human skull. Perhaps they contain information on how we can help turn our this world around. From having free energy, to having a peaceful utopic existence.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightAssassin

That article is a hoax. FYI.

The creator of the article is well known around here as a hoaxer. Even fooled myself and SLAYER69.

Did you even bother to look for alternative sources? That would be my immediate reaction if I came across news from a supposed hoaxer.

A quick google search returned plenty of other sources for this story, I will share two that I believe to be reputable enough to corroborate the OP's original link.

www.wired.co.uk...

hardware.slashdot.org...

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by yorkshirelad

I have two words:

CRYSTAL SKULLS

That is all.

Totally wrong. Why would any technological society (or individual) encode messages in an object that looks like art? You would encode data in a cube or a cuboid of dimensions 1,2,4 or 1,4,9

Your response is totally wrong. You have no clue what motivations would drive an ancient or Alien culture to record info that way. So simply saying someone's opinion is wrong because YOU think they should have done it a certain way is worse than the original speculation.

Now this is pure speculation on my part but maybe a advanced ancient culture decided to marry art and science to denote the importance of the data stored within. A large crystal skull would seem much more important than a single square piece of quartz. And would less likely be discarded or quickly forgotten upon discovery. It's all relative to the mindset of the people that created said device.

Anything is possible.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

I have two words:

CRYSTAL SKULLS

That is all.

Exactly my first thought!
Well played, sir.

S & F to the OP!

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

I have two words:

CRYSTAL SKULLS

That is all.

i also have words...cracks and breaks in quartz, makes this usless...maybe carving messages deeply into hardened stone is the ultimate "storage device"...hhmm...now where have i seen that?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join