It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Migration to "the cloud"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I can see where cloud services are tempting. For starters, your data is stored off site, so in conjunction with on onsite NAS it's a great backup solution. Also, for those unwilling to invest a couple of thousand (or more depending) on their own NAS, they can pay a few dollars monthly/yearly and just sync.

Plus, since it's in the cloud you can access that data virtually anywhere.

So I see the benefits. However, I just feel that having an offline NAS system locally is a better choice. If I need online connectivity I can hook it up to the net easily. Or I can just carry the documents with me on my computer.

The cloud isn't as secure as people would like to think it is. Data is easily intercepted, downloaded and log-ins are also easily caught. Hence why a lot of European banks use a Java based system with two passwords. (One private password and a key generator.) But even that's not fail safe and have been broken before.

As I've heard before, "If you don't want people getting a hold o fit don't put it on the net". So I don't.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by scwizard

Yeah, I suppose that there will always be those that exploit the fortunes of technology.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Auricom
The cloud isn't as secure as people would like to think it is.

I think people are fairly aware of the shortcomings of the cloud as a secure data storage medium, there has certainly been much debate over this topic. I would say, the cloud, on average, is as secure as you think it is.

On the other hand i want to point out that your local systems are not as secure as you think they are, unless you are permanently disconnected from the web.

For example, do you have self-updating software? You probably do, nowadays even browser plugins perform automatic updates. Imagine a developer takes advantage of this feature to introduce malicious code - he/she would gain access to all of your local data.

The point is that, in both the cloud and local systems, you always have to trust software manufacturers. What's really missing from the cloud is a "disconnect-my-data" button.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Corporations have been outsourcing to "managed service" provider data centers for decades. The cloud is no different.

If your data travels over the internet, it is already going through NSA intercept points and copies exist in government facilities. This is unless you use a secure point to point solution like TOR for example.

Everything on the planet is going through decomposition, consolidation and coagulation into centers of mass (e.g. - cities, data, etc). This process is universal and repeated throughout the real and digital worlds.

General ignorance keeps things mysterious. The unknown causes fear.

The cloud is just an evolution of multiple geography, data replicated centers.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by gz007
Our company used Amazon web services AWS for email. We found out the hard way that unless you replicate your data to a min of 2 different data centers your still just sitting on 1 box with a drive. When AWS had major problems with there disk system we were down for 3 long day and this was all email. You can just reload 3TB of email in a flash.

I then looked at Google and after having many meetings I finally got to engineering which told me your data will be housed in one of our data centers then replicated to another for backup. IN the even that both centers fail your data is still on another continent (provided connections are up)

In a nutshell its just a rack with a drive in the cloud and the cloud can fail you so why not just keep it local.
Most NAS servers have a cloud connection so you can still access your home data while on the road.

We have brought our data back in house and will keep it there nice and safe and we will be accountable not some random kid on a skateboard.

You must have a bunch of random kids on skateboards doing the programming at your company. Where I work we use AWS for the RDS and EC2 part of it mainly. Now, I only have a little less than 2 years of experience in web development, but it was not that hard to work with. I have no idea why you thought that your data would have multiple backups unless you made them, Amazon is a business as well and they won't make a profit if they are giving away tons of space on backups for free.

Also, before you blame Amazon, you do know they have API's right? I set it up so it makes a daily backup of our databases everyday and keeps a rolling list of the last months worth of backups. AWS is a really awesome tool if your not an idiot using it, plus it makes a ton of sense to use it for a business. Sorry for being blunt, but I hate when people blame real programmers and developers for their own lack of knowledge.

Like others have stated, I can personally attest to how much cloud services can save a company. Plus, for a company like I work, there is need to spin up new instances of servers on a moments notice, there is no time to go out and buy physical hardware. Not to mention how much it would cost to have the physical and virtually protection against hackers that Amazon provides, cloud services take a ton of hassle out of the networking side of things and again save so much money.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join