It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Quantum Internet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

This month, two major studies on quantum teleportation have made it through peer review and been published, breaking previous distance records. Chinese scientists report teleporting photons over 97km and now a team working in the Canaries report doing the same thing, but between the islands — a distance of over 140km. Both experiments were completed earlier this year and have now been published in Nature.

The researchers from the Austrian Academy of Sciences, and the University of Vienna, say their work paves the way for global quantum communications.

Lead scientist Anton Zeilinger said: "Our experiment shows how mature quantum technologies are today and how useful they can be for practical applications. The next step is satellite-based quantum teleportation, which should enable quantum communication on a global scale."

Quantum teleportation is not a physical process as we would normally understand it. Even calling it 'sending' information is misleading, but language can only do so much.

www.zdnet.com...

Any thoughts?

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
If its quantum it could connect our brains together, to vast stores of information. I think its great for communicating with satellites, far away rovers or colonies, faster computers. Maybe we can learn much more than we can possibly imagine and soon realize our commonality. I just wish we could solve simpler problems, social problems.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Emeraldous

Modern science does not currently have a valid definition for consciousness. Implied is that social problems are much more complex than sending information instantaneously to Saturn and back, which this seems to suggest.

Any thoughts?

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Am I completely wrong if I state that there might be natural entanglements in the universe. I somehow remember that solar activity slows down earth at the same instant it happens. Could this be such an entanglement? Such an interesting topic!

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I don't want to derail the thread with my wishes for social causes. I believe this is a great leap in our need for instant communication, also consider that it would be secure communication without anyone being able to sniff out any tid bits. Also we could send little capsules with entangled particles to far away planets and gauge and collect information instantly from sensors

This can also be done on earth where we collect information in the air and in the ocean and truly model the weather patterns and track animals behavior up the food chain from plankton to that tasty tuna haha!
edit on 25-9-2012 by Emeraldous because: added more musings

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by OnWhiteMars

Quantum entanglement has to do the with issue of EPR Paradox. Essentially the idea is that when two particles are created at the same time. And for example move away from each other, in opposite directions. No matter how far apart they are from each other, if one is affected in some way the other responds instantaneously to what happens to the other.

Distance does not matter

Here is a link on the subject.

physics.about.com...

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Emeraldous

I do not feel you are derailing it

Consider the advantages of the interment to people interacting and also the potential for communications in relation to space travel. Also it is very likely these developments will eventually lead us to teleporting humans, though they might still charge for baggage

Any thoughts?

new topics

top topics

join