It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Near-Drowning Experiences?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Anyone else have any?

I only have one but it's the furthest back in my life I can remember (16 years, I was 4 at the time)...and it's still vivid in my mind.

I was sitting at the edge of our apartment complex's pool and my mom briefly took her eye off me (there were a lot of people around and I was playing with another kid my age). Anyway I somehow fell into the pool...and sank close to the bottom. I distinctly remember KNOWING I was going to die...and at the same time feeling no sense of panic whatsoever.

It seemed like MINUTES went by and I felt absolutely nothing uncomfortable...not panicked at all...and at some point in my experience I perceived a dark tunnel to open at what was the bottom of the pool...more or less, the pool ceased to have a bottom. I started to travel into this tunnel and there was a green glowing light at the end of it. But right as I started to travel into it...something pulled me back...and I have no memory of the next sequence of events...but somehow I ended up sitting in a chair outside of the pool with my mom and another woman...with a towel around me. The other woman (my mom was pregnant at the time) had come in to save me.

Now, the most perplexing part about this is I've asked my mom how long I was in the water - and I was only in there for seconds...at most 15 seconds...before I was pulled out. But it truly felt like I was in the water for minutes (obviously if this were the case I'd have needed resuscitation and an ambulance) but time slowed extremely for me. And I truly thought I was dying and saw this tunnel that I began to travel into at the bottom of the pool. But assuming I was in the water for at most 15 seconds - my brain would not have been in shutdown mode, so this can't really be explained in the same way near death experiences are explained by neurochemical processes being stopped in the brain...

Now at 4 I had no idea how to swim and I really thought I was dying...perhaps the tunnel was a path to the after-life that appeared since a drowning death was a possibility at the time...with death itself occurring when I reached the light in the tunnell..but the other possibility of someone pulling me out was realized instead. And it is very strange that at 4 years old this event did not panic me or frighten me in any way while it was happening. In fact, it was almost pleasant and TOTALLY surreal...not the way I'd actually imagine death by drowning to be.

Keep in mind that this happened LONG before I started reading conspiracy theories and paranormal crap on the internet...so my mind was relatively uncorrupted so to speak at the time.

Does this possibly reveal something about death? Anyone have any similar near drowning experiences?

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I nearly drowned once. Was tubing on a river in Colorado
and it was a little tube which flipped over and the rapids
sucked me underneath them.

Three times I tried to reach the surface to get air without
any luck. At that point (why just 3 tries?), I must've
inhaled some water and my body then began to relax
and go with the flow, instead of fighting the current
and I shot up to the surface.

I managed to climb out coughing and dazed, and for
the rest of the afternoon felt very pissed off in a way that's
hard to describe--like I got a taste of the peace beyond death
and wasn't too happy I'd come back. Finally I managed to
shake it.

About 10 years later I had a dream that I drowned in a
swimming hole in a gorge I used to swim at growing up.
In this dream my spirit rose above the water and I was
looking down from the air above it and saw my body floating
in the water!

join