It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our galaxy and the universe BLOWS MY MIND!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExCommando

Originally posted by Ericthenewbie
Let me take the numbers presented by the OP and throw in Brian Greene's multi-universe theory!

Mind = Blown!

I read about this last night as well - confusing, but also amazing.

Wasn't he saying that due to the exponential growth at the "big bang", that there is the possibility of multiple universes.

Is he the one who is using cutting edge microwave (or is it radiation?) monitoring to try and see bulges in the edge of our perceivable universe - the result of universes impacting, such as when two bubbles hit each other?

Yup that's the guy. I did a thread on it a while ago...regretfully, most of the initial posters in the thread couldn't wrap there heads around the theory, so it kind of derailed the thread a bit but there were a handful of posters with good contributions to thread who could grasp it...check it out: Here

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I love this subject too. I just can't get enough of it.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Im only gonna say this once.... when we look at the universe we are looking in ONE of Gods Brain cells.... just ONE... God is the alpha and the omega... we on this plane will never understand how huge and powerful God is.... Not religion,, But God.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by steve95988
Im only gonna say this once.... when we look at the universe we are looking in ONE of Gods Brain cells.... just ONE... God is the alpha and the omega... we on this plane will never understand how huge and powerful God is.... Not religion,, But God.

Photos or it didn't happen.

Our universe is one of God's brain cells? Really?

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExCommando

Let me take the numbers presented by the OP and throw in Brian Greene's multi-universe theory!

Mind = Blown!

I read about this last night as well - confusing, but also amazing.

Wasn't he saying that due to the exponential growth at the "big bang", that there is the possibility of multiple universes.

Is he the one who is using cutting edge microwave (or is it radiation?) monitoring to try and see bulges in the edge of our perceivable universe - the result of universes impacting, such as when two bubbles hit each other?

Yup that's the guy. I did a thread on it a while ago...regretfully, most of the initial posters in the thread couldn't wrap there heads around the theory, so it kind of derailed the thread a bit but there were a handful of posters with good contributions to thread who could grasp it...check it out: Here

That's the guy!

Thanks for the link, I've posted a reply and s&F

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ExCommando

Lets go BIGGER...our Universe is Finite...our MULTIVERSE is INFINITE!
Imagine a Multiverse as an INFINITE FOREST WITH INFINITE NUMBERS OF TREES. Now each Tree has an INFINITE NUMBER OF BRANCHES. One branch on one tree is our UNIVERSAL REALITY. Each Divergent Universe within a GROUP or a TREE has INFINITE VERSIONS OF ITSELF as each Universal Branch is a UNIVERSE that is slightly different than the next Branch over on that one tree. Our Tree has Infinite Versions of our Universal reality with the same Physics and Geometry.

This is but one TREE...each of the other Trees is a Group of UNIVERSAL REALITIES which have a completely different form of Physics and Space/Time Geometry...and some Trees or Universal Groups have Constructs and things that we could not even understand as Physics...so the System is VERY BIG! Split Infinity

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity

Lets go BIGGER...our Universe is Finite...our MULTIVERSE is INFINITE!
Imagine a Multiverse as an INFINITE FOREST WITH INFINITE NUMBERS OF TREES. Now each Tree has an INFINITE NUMBER OF BRANCHES. One branch on one tree is our UNIVERSAL REALITY. Each Divergent Universe within a GROUP or a TREE has INFINITE VERSIONS OF ITSELF as each Universal Branch is a UNIVERSE that is slightly different than the next Branch over on that one tree. Our Tree has Infinite Versions of our Universal reality with the same Physics and Geometry.

This is but one TREE...each of the other Trees is a Group of UNIVERSAL REALITIES which have a completely different form of Physics and Space/Time Geometry...and some Trees or Universal Groups have Constructs and things that we could not even understand as Physics...so the System is VERY BIG! Split Infinity

You're actually making the subject more confusing than it needs to be (and it's already infinitely confusing and hard to appreciate)

I understand you are trying to convey a metaphor, but I don't believe in God, because that would infer that I believe there is a etheral designer out there watching over us, which I can't logically believe.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Glad you enjoyed it, I replied to a couple of your posts.. S&F back atcha!

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   

This has nothing to do with GOD. Our Universe is but one of Infinite in number Divergent Alternate Universal Realities. Then there are Infinite Groups each with Infinite Numbers of Universal Realities based on those particular Groups. Split Infinity

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   

you forgot to add an important detail to the idea of odds and how we couldnt possibly be alone in the universe

en.wikipedia.org...
"Almost 99% of the mass of the human body is made up of the six elements oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium, and phosphorus"

education.jlab.org...
"The 10 Most Abundant Elements in the Universe"
Hydrogen
Helium
Oxygen
Neon
Nitrogen
Carbon
Silicon
Magnesium
Iron
Sulfur

more detailed comparison here en.wikipedia.org...

so we arent even made of anything rare, we are by majority made of the most common elements found in the universe, couple that with the odds of other earth like planets, and its pretty damn ridiculous that people think we are alone, especialy when over 60% of americans believe in evolution in one form or another,

i guess i understand why people who believe in inteligent design and creation of humans would think we are alone...i guess..

but ill never understand why so many athiests and agnostics that are pro evolution would doubt the existence of alien life,

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

I love your post. Blows my mind too
It's humbling, beautiful, awe inspiring...

S+F Though I like what another poster said about being surrounded stars.

How can anyone think we are alone?

I feel the same away. Will there ever be first contact (or disclosure)? I hope so. I hope in my lifetime.

If I could change anything in my life, it would be to go back to the start of school and study science - this is such amazing stuff.

It's never too late. I have to remind myself of that too.

posted on Sep, 25 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
This is really interesting:

en.wikipedia.org...

Note that "It is plausible that the galaxies within our observable universe represent only a minuscule fraction of the galaxies in the universe."

Our "observable universe" has a "limit" from our Earth to its "boundary" which is the 46 billion light years you quoted, but a *diameter* of 93 billions light years.

But no cosmological model is actually saying there is something like a boundary, it's simply the "observable" universe....as the wikipedia article says, it can very well be that this "observable universe" is merely a *tiny little fraction* of the entire universe, except that we cannot see beyond this border....so we say "observable universe".

And yes, indeed it's all fascinating and kudos to you for posting...even as someone interested in Astronomy for many years..i STILL can get mind-boggled simply by looking at Hubble images where you can see 100s or 1000s of galaxies in one tiny little part of the sky. Or simply ONE picture of *one* galaxy and seeing the incredible amount of stars can boggle my mind.

We somehow *try* to grasp it with mathematics, we invent giant numbers and use terms like "light years" etc. to somewhat make sense of all the dimensions and numbers - but in reality it's just something we cannot grasp, even if science gives us this sense that we could. Eg. we can say "a billion galaxies"...but what this really MEANS is an entirely different story, if you get my drift.
edit on 25-9-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Didn't read the whole thread, but I would like to say Hats off to the OP. I dont know how old you are, or were you are in a career, but that type of thinking is what makes scientists, scientists!

The biggest Awes for me are the very small. At the plank length which is around 10^-36 inches. Here are some analogies I will steal from others.

A proton's diameter is on the order of 10^-15 m (10^20 Planck lengths).

The observable universe has a diameter something like 100 billion light-years (being generous). Since 1 light-year is about 10^16 m., the size of the universe is on the order of 10^27 m.

The total span, in powers of 10 (i.e., thinking logarithmically), goes from -35 to +27, all together 62 orders of magnitude.

The midpoint is at 10^(-35 + 31) = 10^-4 meters = 1/10 of a millimeter. But this estimate is so rough we might as well say 1 millimeter. What's round and 1 mm in diameter? How about a poppy seed? (I like them on bagels.)

Analogy #1 for Planck length:
----------
The Planck length is tinier than a poppy seed by the same factor as the poppy seed is smaller than the observable universe!
----------

How big is an atom? Let's say 1 nanometer = 10^-9 m. This is 10^26 Planck lengths (26 = 35-9). 10^26 millimeters = 10^23 m. 1 light-year = 10^16 m. So 10^26 mm equals 10^7 light-years (7 = 23-16), hence...

Analogy #2:
----------
If the Planck length were the size of a poppy seed, then A SINGLE ATOM would be ten million light years in diameter!!
----------
Edit: If you notice I said the plank length is 10^-36 inches, and later 10^-35 meters. Thats how big a number or small a number 10^-35 is. (tho the estimating changes things a bit more )
edit on 27-9-2012 by ubeenhad because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-9-2012 by ubeenhad because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ubeenhad

Analogy #1 for Planck length:
----------
The Planck length is tinier than a poppy seed by the same factor as the poppy seed is smaller than the observable universe!
----------

Wow, I sat there in silence for a few mins contemplating the utter mind blowing nature of this analogy

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
There should be a mind blown emotocon.
This is close enough

I saw an interview with a sad pathetic "author" named Jim Holt last night on the Colbert Report. Talking about his book called "Why do we exist?" He said that the universe is ugly. UGLY!!!????

I'm sorry Jim but that's not the universe you're seeing...that's a reflection of yourself.

And he didn't say our galaxy, solar system, planet, or humans are ugly (which I would still be upset about) he said the Universe. Amazing. I feel sorry for people like that.

I do have to thank Mr. Holt for reminding me why I stopped watching Colbert and Stewart. So blindly liberal.
edit on 27-9-2012 by Chi-and-Me because: more thoughts

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I thought you might like the following link.

Hubble Goes to the eXtreme to Assemble Farthest Ever View of the Universe

hubblesite.org...

Enjoy !

top topics

<< 1   >>

join