It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American High School Band Marches with Hammer & Sickle

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
My grandparents ran from Belgium during WW2. My other grandfather was at Omaha Beach Normandy.

Big deal some kids in high school dressed up as Russians. The only people freaking out are the right wing bible thumping red white and blue gun nuts.

Get over is capitalism isn't all it's cracked up to be. America is far from perfect itself.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

Originall

To give you a hint of the the Russians I know, as well as the general class of people I associate with of any culture, without getting too detailed, one of my friends worked in Baikonur, and after Perestroika before 1991, came to U.S. where he got similar job working in a city called Clear Lake, south of Houston, but usually referred to as 'Houston'.

Some people I know came to U.S. during/after Perestroika, and others after '91.

A common mistake with many people is in underestimating who they're talking with, as well as confusing the issues. You make hints that you ARE Russian or at least have family, but, this underestimation is very un-Russian. I'm continually called ignorant, yet, questions are asked of me that only show the ignorance of the questioner.

Have you considered how and why I might have a dozen or more Russian friends?
Have you considered that I might also speak, at the very least, a little Russian, if not actually quite a bit more?

Вы понимаете русский язык?
Vwe Ponimayatse russkii yazik?

Have you ever actually been to Russia?

edit on 26-9-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

Без перевода. Я посещаю семью часто. Я также учился в MGU как курсант однажды летом.

Look up "kursant," I bet that isn't a word you are familiar with.

"Underestimating" an un-Russian trait? Lady, you don't know Russians or their culture very well. So you know a few professional ex-pats. That is nothing like actually being there or having been brought up with family and culture.

Also consider that in the Soviet Union, the elite had a much better experience than the average person. If you hung out with people who were the elite pre-fall, then they would say "it was not so bad."

new topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join