It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Comet: C/2012 S1 (ISON)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Red73Eng
Maybe in physical meaning. I am expecting also this comet to psikologically influence the mainkaind. I am referring to Nibiru myth as example.
I am speculating now, but if galactic alignment of our solar system is true, I have my doubts about accuracy of trajectory calculation.

There is no reason why a "galactic alignment" would affect the trajectory. JPL calculates the nominal close approach distance to earth as about 64,201,994.711 km, and with the current uncertainty in the orbit the minimum close approach distance is about 62,673,294.491 km and the maximum close approach distance is about 65,919,460.9 km. I will bet you anything that the actual close approach distance will fall within that range.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I think it is going to be a great time to have one's eyes on the sky! I am trying to save up the cash myself to assemble a 8" Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope to really enjoy some of these events. As an aside, has anyone had any success in setting up a telescope up like this tied to an Android Tablet and use a CCD? Anyway, this is not why I wanted to respond..

We know ancient cultures of man have thought of comets as "portents", or "omens". They thought that some comets were portents of good events, and some bad. I got a little curious as to how they might know the difference, and if there was anything more specific.

With a quick search, I found Pliny the Elder wrote concerning their meanings:

If it resembles a pair of flutes, it is a portent for the art of music; in the private parts of the constellations it portends immorality; in relation to certain fixed stars it portends men of genius and a revival of learning; in the head of the northern or the southern serpent [i.e. Draco and Serpens] it brings poisonings.

Comet Lore

It will be interesting to see the shapes of and follow the tracks of both this comet and Comet C/2011 L4 that last I heard was also supposed to be a spectacular sight next year.

Perhaps we can do this as "Team ATS" ? It would be interesting to discuss as the "omens are read". muhahaha erm... you get the idea. More for fun than anything.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Guesseyder
I think it is going to be a great time to have one's eyes on the sky! I am trying to save up the cash myself to assemble a 8" Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope to really enjoy some of these events. As an aside, has anyone had any success in setting up a telescope up like this tied to an Android Tablet and use a CCD?

I use an 8" Schmidt-Cassegrain for astrophotography, but I have yet to tie it to an android tablet. I use a laptop to control the autoguider and the telescope, but I do know it's possible to use an android to control the scope through Skysafari. I've never heard of using an android to also control the CCD though.

posted on Sep, 30 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by ubeenhad

Meh, too many threads about the same comet. I vote we stick to this one

Regarding the magnitude, there's a quick way to find the difference in brightness using Google:

Put 2.512^1= into the search box and press Enter. You are now presented with the Google calculator and the result, displaying how much brighter (or dimmer) the difference of 1 mag represents. So, for the difference of 1 mag, one object is 2.512 times brighter than the other.

Replace ^1 with ^2 for the difference of 2 mag, and so forth.

This is approximate, so if you feel pedantic about all the decimal places, use 2.51188643151^1= because 2.51188643151^5= gives 100, like it's supposed to.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Bloody well excited about this comet just hope the typical British cloud doesn't bugger it up. But with any luck it should be clear, crisp and cold enough to freeze a brass monkeys balls off...
Actually tried to photograph a awesome moon halo last night, unfortunately the combination of the halo being so huge and we being tipsy it just resulted in epic fail.

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

I've never managed a Moon halo - not easy to get the exposure right even when sober!

ISON should be visible for a few weeks so I'm sure we'll get a good chance from some cracking shots. And don't forget we have Panstarrs in March first, which though less bright should still be a naked eye comet - so looking good for 2013

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
update for comet C/2012 S1 (ISON)

Acording to Associazion Friulana di Astronomia e Meteorologia (AFAM)

The Afrho calculation we performed on this dataset, (..), provided rather puzzling results:

- In short, we found a significant variation of the Afrho amount, according to the dimension of the measurement window (something pretty different from the steady state coma model).

So what is the "Afrho" ?

Acording to CARA project :

The Afρ is simply the product between the albedo "A" (the reflectivity of grains), the filling factor "f" and "ρ" (the Greek letter "rho") that is the radius of the coma (usually in km) under investigation.

The filling factor “f”, is a quantity related to the optical density of the coma, and strictly speaking, is how much the total cross section of grains fills the field of view. It is the ratio between the total area filled by dust in the considered field of view and the area of the field of view itself.

A relevant property of the Afρ quantity (and it was the reason it was adopted) is just to have a constant (or nearly constant) value over a wide range of distances from the nucleus (ρ). This means it is not affected (or very little affected) by instrumental effetcs, different image-scale and measuring window sizes used in photometry.

The mesurments made by AFAM indicate that:

steep photometric variation along the coma's profile, with a significant increase of the afrho values close to the central condensation .

Afrho maximum value of 1365 +/- 200 cm, for a corresponding aperture of nearly 16,000 km in diameter at the comet distance. After this peak, the Afrho amount decreases, reaching a minimum of about 900 +/- 200cm for apertures of 50,000 to 60,000 km.

Since Afρ quantity haves a constant value over a wide range of distances from the nucleus (ρ) and that in this case it was detected a steep photometric variation along the coma's profile, with a significant increase of the afrho values close to the central condensation, what to think about this puzzling result?
edit on 11-10-2012 by voyger2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace
reply to post by Signals

The link is not BS, but claiming that the comet will be half as bright as the Sun is BS. To be that bright, the comet would have to be around -25.8 in magnitude.

See my post above about the apparent magnitude scale.

Its supposed to be quite big.

rense.com...

A huge comet is rounding the sun, a comet twice the size of jupiter (from tip to end of tail -ed) (about 22 times the size of earth). Some have seen it at sunrise and sunset; otherwise, it is not visible because it is occluded by solar glare. Essentially, it is coming from behind the sun and was first observed by NASA less than two months ago.

Not the inner real comet size, but the corona size.

And its probably disturbing the asteroids and causing all these meteors to come close to use so often.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

Why did you bring comet NEAT to the fórum ?

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Bringing up some of the latest info, i'd like to think about this:

As we can see on the graph, the afrho could have an average of 1100+/-200cm...

So we can assume an interval for the variation of the radius of the comet, that goes aprox. from 10.000km - 30.000km.

Picking again an average mesuare, the radius of the comet could be 20.000km.

Having said that, we know that the radius of the Earth is 6.378,1Km and the radius of Jupiter is 71.492km. Now, can we be speaking about a comet that is 3 times bigger than Earth and 3,5 times smaller than Jup?

What do you think?
edit on 12-10-2012 by voyger2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   
A Dragon Cometh...!

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Its supposed to be quite big.

"Big" is an often misunderstood term when applied to comets. The comet itself (the solid bit) is typically just a few kilometers in diameter. It's too small to affect the orbits of planets or asteroids (unless it comes very close to a small asteroid). The comet itself is the one affected by the gravity of planets and large asteroids.

The tail and the coma (which you called corona) are extremely tenuous gas, almost pure vacuum. They can grow very large indeed, but they don't have any impact on planets and asteroids either. There's some dust involved, but the only impact on us is the meteor shower, which are nice to look at.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by voyger2

Could you explain that in layman terms, please? Your charts and terminology are a mistery to me.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

well... I can't ... I only read the link's and tried to get to a conclusion... if you can, please read my last three post's ... the link's are there..
thanks, got to go.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I think the point I'm making with the links in my post, are finally coming into a more cohesive way to explain it.

1. I Son. Aptly pointed out by previous skeptics. But does it ever tie in.

2. Well if they're lying and its really nibiru, then this is an issue, alright. But, I remember Elenin (which was a signficant event, it was 11/9, and tied into their plans world wide, and the preparation for their leader/appollyon but also for their new king, sungod, plans for the age of aquarius and their next cycle, NWO ideas. Big events for the world's mismanagement, soon to be cosmically arrested, team. They're not off any hooks, and all their contracts are null and voided.

But now we have a "comet" and its also twice as big as Jupiter, I think elenin was supposed to be too!

Another Message being sent world wide to all their minion and initiates.

To prepare, their new cycle is at hand.

3. Cancer Constellation, the Crab is actually the Egyptian Scarab, or in reality, the Dung Beetle.

It is the constellation of the gate, and though Cornwall University announced that this theory has been put to rest, The Myth concerning it, is that it was considered the birth place of our own Sun/Star.

arxiv.org...

So basically, this comet, is most likely smaller and less significant than said, (but we cannot be sure of course, it could be a huge cyclical event but still....)

Seems to be tied in to the Elenin message of 9/11 and their new king and all the msytery school preparations for their crapola crime against humanity.

Oh, always depopulate humanity, too many aware and blame it on cosmic events to keep their mittens clean, they think.

Not this time round, buddies. The cosmos is more than ready and you are not fit to manage your own affairs, too insane and incompetent, let alone a planet.

4. So CODE CODE CODE and I Son seems chosen to be, their next sungod and new era emerging.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
This is how they operate. These murder incorporated, insane freaks of elitists, operate like this in every cycle, and they blame (sometimes they take advantage of legitimate, other times just blame) cosmic events. They follow their code books, and time. The depopulate, don't want aware people in the next cycle. And they really murder humanity with WARS FUKUSHIMA, BP, NUKES, BACTERIOLOGICAL WHAT NOT CRAPOLA.

Not this time. No wonder I was given visions of the cosmic arrests, I've always known the cycle of their mismanagement is what is truly coming to an end.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
It's just a freaking comet >_<

ISON - International scientific optical network.
lfvn.astronomer.ru...
edit on 12-10-2012 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

Neither 11/9 nor I "Son" is just a comet, not with the events since last September, the Rosh Hashanah, the lineups of Virgin/Virgo, giving birth to the planets, the Venus Transit, the events in Aurora Colorado, blackjack 21, and now, this new comet, I "SON".

This entire process is about NWO, the new age of aquarius and their new religion/sungod. And they always close down the old.

They don't like taking the blame for murder and always rewrite history, sometimes cosmic events help them out.

I guess this time, its not going to be a big cosmic event, or they wouldn't have done BP, FUKUSHIMA, all the GMO, and all the terrible murders that Murder Incorporated do all the time.

So this isn't just a comet, unless you can't stand putting on your thinking cap. And noticing all the things going on and researching the Egyptian Gnostic Religion they seem to follow. And that astrology as well.

Could you imagine living in a realm where a University Science Lab actually studies whether our sun could have come from the Cancer Constellation that the myths of old say. This wouldn't have happened unless some really powerful people believed those myths.
edit on 12-10-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Ok, ok. *nods his head and backs away slowly*

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join