It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Comet: C/2012 S1 (ISON)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by FireballStorm

Hello Fireball, I would like to add that gorgeous old painting of the Comet over Rotterdam to my webpage of info regarding the Comet of 1680. I have only been able to locate two old paintings so far and this would be a welcome addition. Could you please tell me where it can be found or its provenance so I can comfirm its applicability and give the correct web location credit for it. Thank you for your help.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonFire1024
So Comet Hale Bopp wasn't a good enough show? As I recall, it has been the only major naked eye comet view in my lifetime so far

Well I never said that. All I was saying was ISON might be an even better display than Hale Bopp.

There have been even more dazzling comets since Hale Bopp; Comet McNaught for example, but I think more people will have heard of Hale Bopp, which is why I chose that particular example.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I think this article is interesting and coud be an explanation for this comet.
www.viewzone.com...

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Red73Eng

Um, this comet doesn't need an explanation, it needs studying and appreciating. And that website is full of bull.

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by joneebgood

joneebgood - that one came from Wikipedia

This page also has a couple of old paintings, but I suspect they are the ones you have already (or it's your web page): THE GREAT COMET OF 1680

posted on Sep, 26 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Thanks, Fireball

Yes, that is my webpage. I am trying to assemble all related photos and historic info on 1680 in one place. This photo must have recently been submitted to Wiki as I have not seen it before. It will make a welcome addition to the two others I have posted.

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
It's the second coming of course. Note the name, I Son!
We're all gonna die...again.
it was bound to happen eventually

just kidding...

yeah, this is going to fuel nibiru and/or the 2nd coming post 12/21/2012 and what a way to do so too.

Its supposedly going to be brighter than the full moon being a magnitude 16. As you so aptly pointed out, its name "I SON" will be latched on to by the fundies as being portentous.

current predictions are of an object that will dazzle the eye at up to magnitude —16. That's far brighter than the full Moon.

quite possibly a once-in-a-civilisation's-lifetime event.
link
saw it on rense.com

posted on Sep, 27 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Let's not get too hooked on this "-10 to -16 magnitude" guess (and that is all it is). You are only setting yourselves up for massive disappointment if it ends up being another damp squib. I sincerely hope that it does end up being the most spectacular comet seen for half a century, but it's better to be pleasantly surprised than bitterly disappointed.
edit on 27-9-2012 by Mogget because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   

International Scientific Optical Network (ISON)

Originally posted by reject

Originally posted by Phage
It's the second coming of course. Note the name, I Son!
We're all gonna die...again.
it was bound to happen eventually

just kidding...

yeah, this is going to fuel nibiru and/or the 2nd coming post 12/21/2012 and what a way to do so too.

Its supposedly going to be brighter than the full moon being a magnitude -16. As you so aptly pointed out, its name "I SON" will be latched on to by the fundies as being portentous.

current predictions are of an object that will dazzle the eye at up to magnitude —16. That's far brighter than the full Moon.

quite possibly a once-in-a-civilisation's-lifetime event.
link
saw it on rense.com

In fact, Comet ISON may still shine at a respectable magnitude +3 on Christmas Day 2013 and also just might become the great Christmas comet of 2013.
link
uh oh

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
This could have 1/2 the brightness of the sun!

Brightest in Human history!!!

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

I think you may have stumbled into the wrong forum here.

This is the space exploration forum, not dutchsinse BS forum...

For a comet to be half the brightness of the sun it would be brighter than the brightest full moon.

There is also no way of telling how bright the comet will be yet either.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Read about the apparent magnitude scale before you quote videos like that.

If we approximate and take the Sun as -26, and the full moon as -13, the full moon isn't 1/2 the brightness of the Sun. The Sun is actually 398,359 times brighter than the full moon. Even if this comet gets to -16 and outshines the full moon, it will be about 10,000 times fainter than the Sun.

en.wikipedia.org...
www.astro-tom.com...
edit on 29-9-2012 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-9-2012 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaHawk
reply to post by Signals

I think you may have stumbled into the wrong forum here.

This is the space exploration forum, not dutchsinse BS forum...

For a comet to be half the brightness of the sun it would be brighter than the brightest full moon.

There is also no way of telling how bright the comet will be yet either.

Thanks for the guidance, perhaps I do have the wrong forum....

Is this a BS link? news.nationalgeographic.com...

Because 2012 S1 appears to be fairly large—possibly approaching two miles (three kilometers) wide—and will fly very close to the sun, astronomers have calculated that the comet may shine brighter, though not bigger, than the full moon in the evening sky.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

The link is not BS, but claiming that the comet will be half as bright as the Sun is BS. To be that bright, the comet would have to be around -25.8 in magnitude.

See my post above about the apparent magnitude scale.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

Doesnt matter the brightness. Can this comet effect the earth. Or better, does any possobilty exist that this comet effect the earth?

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

I don't know all the particularities of its trajectory (it's safe to say it won't hit us or shift our poles), but the worst it could do leave some dust in the Earth's path, which would create a meteor shower.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
After conducting close observation I've concluded that there is without a doubt a large spacecraft following this comet. I feel the only thing needed now is to begin a group which will all commit suicide together the moment this comet is at it's closest approach to Earth. I will name this group "Heaven's..........Fence" as this will not be a simple task such as walking through a........oh say a gate or something along those lines. I'd compare it more to having to climb or leap over a fence whose gate is locked. Who will join me?
edit on 29-9-2012 by SeriousIndividual because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace

I don't know all the particularities of its trajectory (it's safe to say it won't hit us or shift our poles), but the worst it could do leave some dust in the Earth's path, which would create a meteor shower.

Given the low minimum orbit intersect distance, there is indeed a chance that it will generate a new meteor shower, but as you said that's the most it can do to us.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Maybe in physical meaning. I am expecting also this comet to psikologically influence the mainkaind. I am referring to Nibiru myth as example.
I am speculating now, but if galactic alignment of our solar system is true, I have my doubts about accuracy of trajectory calculation.

posted on Sep, 29 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

but if galactic alignment of our solar system is true

Don't worry. It isn't.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join