It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook reveals users' personal messages on public timeline

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Facebook reveals users' personal messages on public timeline

www.rawstory.com

Messages that were once private communications began showing up in users’ 2011 and earlier timelines, which are posted as wall messages “posted by friends.” Users can take them out of public view by clicking on the Edit option and selecting “Hide from Timeline.”
Raw Story (s.tt...)
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I physically got ill after reading this and immediately deactivated and requested deletion of my primary account. I suggest everyone with an account at the very least, delete your complete message histories.

I hope people leave the site in droves and Mark Zuckerberg goes broke. This is beyond disgusting.

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

I don't know why this showed up as two separate posts.
edit on 9/24/2012 by azamber because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by azamber

Thank you for the heads up!

I don't use Facebook but my kids and other friends and relatives do.
I will inform them posthaste!

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I shared this story and link on my fb account, I only use to post crap about FB on....

TY for the story.

Des

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by azamber

You know what, I like it, I like the fact that no matter what mistakes in the past we made, we are able to bang our heads of the wall infinitely.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I'm guessing if you've got something that you don't want out in the "public" for viewing or knowing about, you don't post it on FB, period. Heck, I don't even use my home email for really private conversations because you never know who could be listening. Every time I read these types of things, the more I am satisfied with my decision to never use the stupid thing.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
iv been facebook free for a few years now.never felt better

edit on 24-9-2012 by haven123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by CoherentlyConfused

These were private messages, like email.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I'm one of those highly suspicious people who dont have a face book account

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I try and post this link in any thread about facebook.

Delete

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by azamber

I physically got ill after reading this and immediately deactivated and requested deletion of my primary account. I suggest everyone with an account at the very least, delete your complete message histories.

I hope people leave the site in droves and Mark Zuckerberg goes broke. This is beyond disgusting.

A slight over-reaction on your part, it would seem. It would appear that the rumours of this are actually false.

www.bbc.co.uk...

From my own PoV, none of my private messages have shown up in this manner. It does beg the question, did you even check to see if yours had or was your account deletion a knee-jerk reaction to a rumour?

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

They are denying it, but many users have already confirmed it, and I have also seen what look like private messages on a friend's profile, but haven't been able to contact them to confirm.

I KNOW what I've written, and if I had seen it on my profile or on my friend's I would have been in a much worse place right now. Immediate deletion was the only way to prevent the possibility of my messages showing up on other's walls that I could think of.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Yet another Facebook privacy mistake.

This one is likely just a bug that they'll lie about while they fix it.

Their stock is down to 20 and change today. Perhaps this horrible experiment will go away soon.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Here's another article that talks to users who have confirmed this is, in fact, NOT a rumor. Facebook flooded with complaints after messages 'bug'
I am seeing a lot of what look like private messages on my friend's walls. (I have a second account) this could have devastating consequences for people and relationships.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by azamber
Here's another article that talks to users who have confirmed this is, in fact, NOT a rumor. Facebook flooded with complaints after messages 'bug'
I am seeing a lot of what look like private messages on my friend's walls. (I have a second account) this could have devastating consequences for people and relationships.

I work with a Women's Abuse forum. Women who are being stalked by their ex's are in potential danger due to this *bug*.

Des

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Any one that post private stuff on FB, ATS, Twitter etc is a fool.

but for your information I just shared a BP&J sandwitch with my lover and we didn't have a stitch of clothes on and I just cracked open a jug of Cuervo gold and it's about to get funky.

edit on 24-9-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Damn... I'm trying to delete all my message, but when I hit the X, well the X actually mean to archive my messages. So they kinda never dissappear, they stay backed up. :S

What's with all this nonsense? God, even trying to delete my account wouldn't really delete it for real.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
The story is wrong, people can view what others have posted on your timeline, which they could at the time anyway.

I've just check my own timeline, and can confirm this is the case.

Personal Facebook messages that come through the inbox are still safe.

Someone overreacted.

EDIT: I have it set so people can't read what others post on my timeline anyway.

Just been on my other account and checked my main, all my wall posts by friends are still hidden.

Hoax bin with ye! lol.

2nd Edit: I rest my case....

Facebook private message rumour is 'false'
edit on 24/9/12 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Yet another rumor getting everyone all riled up. I checked my FB page, and things are fine. Move along, nothing to see here.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Confirmed to be an Internet rumour, everyone claiming to have seen this is lying.
Shocker...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join