It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Vampire.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 05:49 AM
link   

The Vampire was an exceptionally versatile aircraft, and it set many aviation firsts and records, being the first RAF fighter with a top speed of over 500mph. It was the first jet to take off from and land on an aircraft carrier, and in 1948 John Cunningham set a new world altitude record of 59,446ft. On July 14 1948, Vampire F3s of RAF No 54 Squadron became the first jet aircraft to fly across the Atlantic

i love this aircraft,many amongst you (with far greater knowledge than i) will already be aware of the records set by this sleek bird but youngsters new to the love of planes and flight maybe wouldnt even come across this unique aircraft as it doesnt seem to come up for mention that often?
What other record breaking aircraft do any of you know of that deserve some praise?

Lots of pictures and info availble,just google.

Regards.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Totally agree.

I love all that mid/late 1940's early 1950's tech as they found their feet with the new ideas. Very interesting stuff and all done with slide-rules, paper and sheer immagination and brain-power. Hardly a computer in sight.

A real testament to the calibre of the men involved.

On of my favourites is (effectively) the final Vampire development, the Sea Vixen. That IMO is one mean MF of a naval fighter.

[edit on 16-10-2004 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 11:12 AM
link   
There were vampires in the Swiss air service acting as trainers up through the early 90's. I think that says something of this aircrafts usefulness.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I take it this is the vampire you are talking about:

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   
That's the one I meant, yep.

posted on Oct, 16 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Beautiful aircraft. RAAF flew the fighter and the trainer versions. My godfather was in a Communications Unit RAAF Pearce in the sixties and remembered the Vampire Ts at the FTS there, before Macchi MB326Hs replaced them.

Australia got its first fighters by agreeing to send a Wings worth of personnel to Malta in the early 1950s to fly Vampire FBs supplied by the RAF there as part of NATOs Southern Flank.

[edit on 16-10-2004 by craigandrew]

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   
i thought that you were talking about the fictional EB-1C Vampire bomber found in Dale Brown's Battle born/ and Air Battle force. The USAF made the plane stealthier, loaded it with anti-ballistic weapons, and developed wings that could change shape plus the mandatory engine and electronic upgrades. it even carried its own UCAV, the Stealth Hawk. I wish it was rea;

posted on Oct, 18 2004 @ 09:36 PM
link   
De Havilland "Vampire" T.55

Crew: 2
Engine: De Havilland Goblin 35
Span: 38' 0" (11.59m)
Length: 34' 7" (10.55m)
Height: 6' 7" (2.02m)
Wing Area: 262 sq ft (24.34m)
Weight: 7381 lb (3355 kg)
Max Weight: 11680 lb (5309 kg)
Max Speed @SL: 467 kts - 538 mph - 861 kmh
Ceiling: 40000 ft (12192 m)
Range: 685 nm - 788 sm - 1261 km

This site has a video of a Vampire crashing, unfortunately it killed two people.

I love this plane.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Using the amazingh Waynos powers of recognition
I would say that your upper photo is actually of a radio control model. Am I right? To me the jet pipe is too fat and the fins slightly wrong but out of proportion just enough to compensate for the big jet pipe. Now, I would LOVE that model

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Ahhh, the Vampire!! yes, a very impressive airplane. A buddy of mine bought one. You all should hear the engine in that thing very distinctive. Did you all know alot of the airframe is made out of wood??!!
And gas.. OMG that thing burns it quick. It's truely a site to see it do a low fly by!

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I have a couple of snippets about the Vampire which people might like.

It was the first allied jet fighter to fly on the power of a single engine and the third allied jet fighter into the Skies after the Meteor and P-59A.

Some single seaters were still in Swiss Air Force service in the 1980's!

It was first known as the 'Spider Crab' until the RAF thought of a better name.

After its initial flights the Vampire prototype's engine was removed and sent to the USA where it powered XP-80 Shooting Star on its maiden flight.

It was the first fighter to be widely license built, long before the F-104, with production lines in France, Switzerland, Australia and Italy, providing each of these nations with their first jet fighter in service.

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Using the amazingh Waynos powers of recognition
I would say that your upper photo is actually of a radio control model. Am I right? To me the jet pipe is too fat and the fins slightly wrong but out of proportion just enough to compensate for the big jet pipe. Now, I would LOVE that model

Yeah, I didn't realise until I had alread posted, oops. No problems though as I got another good shot and a video aswell

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I don't know how common knowledge this is but if you get Flight Combat Simulator 3 you can fly the Vampire (or the P-80) against German formations, just as if the war didn't end in 1945, Great for disposing of formations of Ju-88's when your feeling vindictive

posted on Oct, 21 2004 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Not necessarily my fave but a good one none the less.....now the V-Bombers (Vulcans especially) they are nice to look at...

top topics

join